Brewer Fanatic

White Sox DFA Conor Gillaspie

He's older than Dominguez (27 vs 25), but hits lefty and has performed better in the major leagues than Dominguez has. Posted a decent .752 OPS last year, but his 2013 and this season were sub .700 OPS. Dominguez does have one option remaining, whereas (I assume) Gillaspie does not.

I think you can likely pencil in Perez as the 3B of 2016, but do the Brewers take a flyer on Gillaspie given he has had at least one reasonably decent MLB full season and provides some LH balance? Gillaspie is definitely worse against LHP, decent career against RHP (.743 OPS), and they would have Perez and Gomez to start at 3B/2B against tough lefties.

Interesting to note that yesterday was Gillaspie's 27th birthday. Heckuva birthday present, but at least the White Sox let him celebrate his birthday as a major leaguer.

I'm really not excited about the idea of Perez starting anywhere on the diamond...if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Gillaspie. Not a projectable stick, but I like platoons and you can make something reasonable out of it. He's probably closer to the .700 guy even with platooning, but maybe you can peddle him off next year if he has another fun BABIP streak like he did to open 2014.

I totally disagree on Perez. He's definitely worth an extended look. Gillaspie is a guy worth taking a look at to backup at 3rd and 1st if Lind is dealt. Gillaspie is 28 and has reached his potential. Perez hasn't.

Again Perez, like Gomez, was brought to the majors before he was ready. Why? Because he does possess very obvious talent visually. He just turned 24 in March so he's 4 years younger than Gillaspie. His body to me is that of a guy with some power so while I don't think he'll slug his current .493 over the long haul, his power potential far exceeds that of Gillaspie.

Gillaspie is also well below average defensively.

Maybe Perez can develop some power, but I doubt he's a very productive player. I do agree that it's too soon to tell at age 24 sometimes and more importantly, if you're going into nuclear rebuild mode, then by all means give him an extended look.

He just reminds me of all of the guys in the Phillies lineup (Cesar Hernandez, Galvis, Herrera) and filling out the bottom portion of the Twins lineup (Escobar, Danny Santana, Nunez) among countless other players that have a place in the MLB, but should be strictly utility guys.

But again, if the Brewers are rebuilding, until they have an infielder ready to take his spot, there would be worse things to do than give a guy with some athletic ability a chance. That said, players that have barely over a .300 OBP (it was trending upwards) in the minors do not excite me unless they have incredible raw power.

I don't think Perez would have made his major league debut with Detroit at 21 if his ceiling was as a utility player. His lower OBP in leagues where he was 2-4 years younger than average don't concern me especially a guy who puts the ball in play. He looks plenty strong to have double digit HR totals.

Archived