Brewer Fanatic

Orioles Interested in Gomez

Gausman, the #5 pick in the Competitive Balance Round B in next year's draft, and one of Sisco/Walker/Reyes. Is that too much for Gomez? Not enough?

I don't think it is. You are about dead on. I would add one more young arm prospect like B Gonzalaz to your trade and I would be happy.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
Gausman, the #5 pick in the Competitive Balance Round B in next year's draft, and one of Sisco/Walker/Reyes. Is that too much for Gomez? Not enough?

Gausman has already burned a year of team control and hasn't shown he will be a frontline starter in the majors. I'd prefer gambling on six years of a potential ace in any Gomez trade.

I don't consider the Competitive Balance Round B pick to have all that much trade value.

For example, Melvin has offered just about any player who's performed at all a long term deal, and he's gotten very lucky that the players turned him down.

You call a token 100 million deal for Prince and CC and Greinke "offering" ? We never had a chance with either of them. I'm sure you have others in mind and you could very well be right, but I don't consider those "offers." Giving Gomez an extension was brilliant.

Shame on the Brewers trying to lock up their young talent! Melvin has done pretty well in extensions(Lucroy, Gomez, first Braun extension, Gallardo). Out of all things I'd complain about regarding Melvin that would be dead last.

How many players have denied extensions? Segura...and?

Community Moderator

This is the exact type of deal I could see the Brewers agreeing to for Gomez. One young major league ready player, one lower minors prospect (i.e. Sisco or Reyes), and one lottery ticket. I initially didn't think the Orioles were a good match, but the speculation that they appear willing to deal Gausman immediately made me think of the Brewers as a trade partner.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I wouldn't mind that proposed deal, but I would prefer one more decent prospect. As mentioned Gausman has already started to burn service time which is a bit of a downside for me.

Trey Mancini would be a nice piece to include. Wish he were lefty but seems like an accomplished 1B bat regardless. Plus has the Notre Dame connection so I'm guessing Counsell has some awareness of him.

Gausman was the #4 overall pick when he was drafted - precisely the sort of pitcher so many here talk about getting time and again. His results in the big leagues have been mixed, but there has definitely been some success in the mix.

Honestly, I feel like Baltimore could have, and should have handled him better. He's a top prospect, a guy you hope you can build around, and they've jerked him all over the place. He's up, he's down, he's in the rotation, he's in the bullpen, etc.

Obviously, he's not a sure thing, but the skills are there, and he's got plenty of service time left before he could leave. I'd have no problem with a deal that centered around him, depending on who the Brewers gave up, and who came with him.

Thoughts on Gausman?

I like Gausman as the centerpiece. Kind of surprised to read the O's are willing to part with him. Gausman would make dealing Fiers thinkable too. A 2016 rotation of Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann, Gausman, and Garza or Fiers could be a competitive rotation. But with a gutted lineup, would it be a waste? Which is why if Gomez is dealt for a nice return, I'd think twice about dealing Lind and even Parra who might be amenable to a contract or worthy of a QO. The offers for Lind and Parra need to be substantial too. Just dumping them for B level guys who might strengthen your farm system a bit but don't have impact potential, seems like a wheel spinning strategy.

I don't consider the Competitive Balance Round B pick to have all that much trade value.

except that adding that draft pick will add an additional pick and $800k to your signing pool. so thats worth a decent bit, especially if the team is going to end up with a top 5- 10 pick in a deep 2016 draft.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

...Parra who might be amenable to a contract or worthy of a QO. The offers for Lind and Parra need to be substantial too. Just dumping them for B level guys who might strengthen your farm system a bit but don't have impact potential, seems like a wheel spinning strategy.

I think you are the only one who thinks Parra is worth of a QO and you say it in every thread. I don't see it. He is not worth $15+ million for even a year. He's been a nice player so far this year but these are career numbers and he's not really a CF.

Maybe if he was the missing piece to put us over the edge I might say, sure go for it. But he's not that missing piece and I think his numbers will come back to his career norms. And if someone offers us a B level prospect for Parra, I would be all over that. To think that he will bring back an A level impact prospect is ridiculous. I think teams would have a hard time giving up a prospect like that for Gomez (who's better and has a longer deal), let alone Parra.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/bud-norris-trade-orioles.html

Orioles are also trying to get rid of Bud Norris. If we take him on would we be able to get an extra piece in a Gomez deal or would that make it worse. Maybe we could swap him and Lohse. Either way, as long as it didn't take pieces away, it would give an extra arm this year to throw out there and some insurance if we trade anther starter.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

..... But with a gutted lineup, would it be a waste? Which is why if Gomez is dealt for a nice return, I'd think twice about dealing Lind and even Parra who might be amenable to a contract or worthy of a QO. The offers for Lind and Parra need to be substantial too. Just dumping them for B level guys who might strengthen your farm system a bit but don't have impact potential, seems like a wheel spinning strategy.

No, wheel spinning strategy is retaining them and shooting for .500. Parra should be an automatic trade, regardless if Gomez is traded. Who cares if Schafer and Davis/Peterson get all of the starts for the rest of the year. I would also trade Lind and play Rogers now, but can see keeping him as the Brewers shouldn't be signing any high-priced free agents this offseason.

In my mind, the goal isn't to get to .500 now or next year, the goal should be to shoot for the playoffs in 2017, and I don't see them as part of that picture.

And if the front office loves Parra, they can always sign him in the offseason after receiving a prospect this season.

And if the front office loves Parra, they can always sign him in the offseason after receiving a prospect this season.

Exactly. The KRod treatment.

Parra wouldn't come with any draft pick compensation either so that's a thought.

Unless the Orioles offered him a QO... :)

Except you can't offer a player you receive in a trade that year a QO. He has to be with one club for the entire season to receive a QO.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Thoughts on Gausman?

I've watched him pitch 3-4 times, including last night.

His FB has a ton of life, it's impressive, he just wasn't locating it well last night. He doesn't seem to get much secondary stuff across in good locations either so he's down in the count quite a bit or throwing pretty hittable pitches. His pitch to A-Rod was pretty bad and made me sad as I was watching at the restaurant, looked like some kind of change-up.

All of the pieces are there though, I guess just depends on if you trust the Brewers or Gausman to put it together on his own, obviously Baltimore doesn't have much faith since he's available and started the year in the pen.

He's either been outstanding or has gotten shelled, not much in-between. MIN really tuned him up on July 7th, and his last 2 starts have bounced his ERA from 3.09 to 5.18.

The O's just don't seem to catch a break. Gausman should be better than he is, Bundy went down again with a weird shoulder problem, and Harvey has had 3 different injury issues as well.

Any of those 3 guys if healthy and effective is very attractive... right now I'd be pressed to make a deal for any, unless the O's were going to give us all 3 in one shot to hedge our bets.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thoughts on Gausman?

I've watched him pitch 3-4 times, including last night.

His FB has a ton of life, it's impressive, he just wasn't locating it well last night. He doesn't seem to get much secondary stuff across in good locations either so he's down in the count quite a bit or throwing pretty hittable pitches. His pitch to A-Rod was pretty bad and made me sad as I was watching at the restaurant, looked like some kind of change-up.

All of the pieces are there though, I guess just depends on if you trust the Brewers or Gausman to put it together on his own, obviously Baltimore doesn't have much faith since he's available and started the year in the pen.

He's either been outstanding or has gotten shelled, not much in-between. MIN really tuned him up on July 7th, and his last 2 starts have bounced his ERA from 3.09 to 5.18.

The O's just don't seem to catch a break. Gausman should be better than he is, Bundy went down again with a weird shoulder problem, and Harvey has had 3 different injury issues as well.

Any of those 3 guys if healthy and effective is very attractive... right now I'd be pressed to make a deal for any, unless the O's were going to give us all 3 in one shot to hedge our bets.

But then again, the O's didn't do a good job of handling Gausman. I know you question the Brewers' ability to develop pitchers, especially ones with questionable command, but I think they'd do a better job of handling Gausman than the O's did.

Unless the Orioles offered him a QO... :)

Except you can't offer a player you receive in a trade that year a QO. He has to be with one club for the entire season to receive a QO.

No a team can give a player a QO but there will be no compensation attached to that player if the player signs with another team.

But then again, the O's didn't do a good job of handling Gausman. I know you question the Brewers' ability to develop pitchers, especially ones with questionable command, but I think they'd do a better job of handling Gausman than the O's did.

Excellent point especially when you factor in the other high round disasters they've had like Matusz who ended up in the pen and Hobgood who's never made it past AA, that's quite a bit of potential talent and draft position with nothing to show at the top of the rotation.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived