Brewer Fanatic

Puig for Braun?

I'm just totally pulling this out of my hiney after seeing reports that the Dodgers have gone sour on Puig.

Puig came in and lit the league on fire but has not came close to repeating that rookie season losing about 75 OPS points every season since. Still it's near 800 playing in Dodger Stadium. The OBP has always been there, in fact so far in his worst season his OBP is still about Braun level, but the power has gone from HR's to 2B's. He is still only 24 mind you and under contract for 3 more years at half what Braun is getting paid and Ryan is only going to get worse going forward. Braun would give the Dodgers one of the best offenses in baseball and Puig would give the Brewers an OF'er to replace Braun's production and that of Gomez when he leaves/is traded.

For not on-the-field reasons, Braun will get to "go home" and Puig will go somewhere where the national media won't pay any attention to his antics. Although having Puig and Gomez in the same clubhouse could turn it into a 3 ring circus but it would be fun to play the Cardinals with those 2 in the same lineup.

Now please go ahead and tear this apart and tell me how stupid I am.

They are comparable players(offensive output wise)...except Puig is A LOT cheaper and A LOT younger. The decline Puig has had over the last 3 years consistently is a bit concerning, but I would still prefer that over an injury prone Braun who is getting old.

The offensive gain going from Puig to Braun is debatable now and questionable move forward. I don't see where the Dodgers would consider such a trade.

Braun to LA makes a lot of sense. Id want more control than Puig though. He doesn't seem like a player we would retain down the road.

Puig is under control until the end of the 2019 season and if the Dodgers made this silly trade, the Brewers could worry about trading Puig for more value in return then, because he'd only be in his late 20s.

Again, though...I don't know why the Dodgers would do this (for the reasons which the original poster points to).

Braun to LA makes a lot of sense. Id want more control than Puig though. He doesn't seem like a player we would retain down the road.

Puig is under control until the end of the 2019 season and if the Dodgers made this silly trade, the Brewers could worry about trading Puig for more value in return then, because he'd only be in his late 20s.

Again, though...I don't know why the Dodgers would do this (for the reasons which the original poster points to).

Id do that trade yesterday. Probably no one on the board wants to trade Braun more than I do, primarily because I can imagine what they last 3 years of extension will look like.

Id take Puig of course, I just dont see him as a great fit for a long term building plan in Milwaukee.

That's a really interesting trade idea. Even if you figure some continued offensive decline for Puig, the freed up money would be a huge gain for Milwaukee. Though I don't know Puig's numbers if he's really just an average player who has so far been a little lucky or if he should stabilize and be a decent player going forward. And it's not like the Dodgers have been hesitant to pick up salary and win-now players.

Can we have Joc Pederson instead? Now that would be fun.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived