Brewer Fanatic

Re-Tool Rather than Re-Build

I understand that most people believe the Brewers should tear this all down and start over but is this the necessary path to go down? For argument's sake, let's say the Brewers are able to flip Gomez in a package to NY for Syndergaard and Lucroy in a package to Seattle for Walker. Your rotation is now Syndergaard, Walker, Nelson, Peralta & Jungmann.

Moving Gomez and Lucroy alone, you still have a lineup including Braun, Segura, Scooter, Davis, Parra, Lind, Ramirez, Maldonado. Of course, 2015 isn't going to be the Brewers year so a trade of Ramirez is needed, but really, with that rotation is a trade of Parra and Lind needed? If the Brewers were to have that rotation with Parra and Lind in 2016, is there potential to be more than a .500 ball club and not have to do a full re-build? The Brewers would still have Lohse, Garza, K-Rod, Broxton, etc... that can be dumped for a bag of balls or some moderate prospects. Or they can move Segura, with the intention of using Sardinas now and Arcia in the future at SS, in an effort to get a long term solution at 3B or C?

I guess whether or not the Brewers will re-tool or re-build will truly depend on where the talent level is, meaning MLB or MiLB, when they make some deals.

If your Gomez and Lucroy trades happen the Brewers could potentially have a very good rotation. And I emphasize potentially because none of those guys have a big track record of Major League success. It would be a fun rotation to talk about as you've got 2 guys who could be #1's in Syndergaard and Walker.

However, those trades would leave a rather anemic offense. Parra is a FA after this year and I don't see him coming back. Some team is going to give him starter money over 3 or 4 years and the Brewers can't/shouldn't afford that. Someone is going to have to replace Lucroy because Maldonado aint gonna cut it. You'd have near automatic outs in the 8 and 9 spot and possibly the 7 spot too depending on how Segura is playing. You still need a 3B. Maybe you move Segura there and bring up Arcia or Rivera but that could give you 4 automatic outs. Braun and Lind would be your only offensive threats. Davis and Scooter have shown flashes of success but I don't think you can. nor do you want to, count on them to be your 3rd and 4th best hitters. Also, who plays CF? You can't replace any part of Gomez's glove or bat with Schaefer or Wren.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think jerichoholicninja put it pretty nicely.

Say you could pull off trades for Walker and Syndergard, you do have a nice looking rotation. CF, C and 3B are black holes. Parra, if you resign him, is not a very CF, and his excellent hitting is probably begging to regress to his norms. If no Parra, you're using Peterson or Schafer. Maldonado hasn't shown he's anything more than a back up - both times he got to show off his abilities everyday he's hit below .200. The offense just wouldn't be very good.

The bullpen has some nice potential, but overall depth is questionable.

Regarding re-build vs re-tool, I think trading Luc and Gomez really puts you down the 'rebuild' path pretty far. Segura, Lind, Parra, K-Rod - that's about all left that's attractive. I say deal these guys as well and add a few more quality pieces and play for 2017 (and beyond), when you have Arcia, Taylor, Reed, Wagner and some other arms coming into play.

I think the Brewers should re-tool a little bit every year and cycle away aging players, I have never been in favor a complete rebuild and have been arguing against that eventuality since I started posting about organization building years ago.

However regardless of what happens with trades there is no good reason to extend or offer Parra a QO, he'll be expensive and is having a career year at the plate. Why would we buy high on him? We can obtain similar offensive production to his career norm from cheaper players. Defensively it would depend whom we are playing in LF instead of him, we all know Davis' arm issues...

Lind isn't a very good total package, he's a platoon bat who's done nothing to impress me defensively this year. He might be a slight upgrade over Reynolds in that regard, but like Fielder before him he brings down the value of every other IF, himself, and the pitchers. He's also having his best season since he was a 25 year old in 2009. My answer to trading Lind would depend on what the deal is, they don't have to trade him but if some team is willing to offer up a potential impact piece or 2, why not? We could Clark/Rogers platoon 1B for 2016 as I doubt Lind will hit around near a .900 OPS in 2016.

Regardless I'm not holding out much hope that the Brewers will make significant moves involving their most valuable players, though that would be my wish, I just don't have any confidence in this front office to work with any type of long term view.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

In my opinion, I'm listening to offers on anyone not named Arcia. There needs to be a full on rebuild. There's been an attempt to retool for the past 3 years and look at where that has gotten us. Lohse and Garza pitching like garbage. No thank you! Give me guys who have high upside and high ceilings, and let's see what they can do mixed in with what's already on the farm.

I think the Brewers should re-tool a little bit every year and cycle away aging players, I have never been in favor a complete rebuild and have been arguing against that eventuality since I started posting about organization building years ago.

However regardless of what happens with trades there is no good reason to extend or offer Parra a QO, he'll be expensive and is having a career year at the plate. Why would we buy high on him? We can obtain similar offensive production to his career norm from cheaper players. Defensively it would depend whom we are playing in LF instead of him, we all know Davis' arm issues...

Lind isn't a very good total package, he's a platoon bat who's done nothing to impress me defensively this year. He might be a slight upgrade over Reynolds in that regard, but like Fielder before him he brings down the value of every other IF, himself, and the pitchers. He's also having his best season since he was a 25 year old in 2009. My answer to trading Lind would depend on what the deal is, they don't have to trade him but if some team is willing to offer up a potential impact piece or 2, why not? We could Clark/Rogers platoon 1B for 2016 as I doubt Lind will hit around near a .900 OPS in 2016.

Regardless I'm not holding out much hope that the Brewers will make significant moves involving their most valuable players, though that would be my wish, I just don't have any confidence in this front office to work with any type of long term view.

Parra's offensive numbers (.841 OPS as of now) should he maintain them in an era where offense is hard to find will make him a premier FA this winter. Throw in the ability to play anywhere in the OF combined with his age (smack in the middle of his prime) make him well worth a QO. He might take it, in which case you essentially pay him what you paid Ramirez this year or he signs elsewhere and you add a late first or high second round draft pick. Obviously he needs to maintain his pace over the next couple months, but the fact that Counsell's come out and said he's going to get the bulk of the time in LF tells me that barring a trade the Brewers are considering the QO route. If he's still with the team August 1st, I think it's a foregone conclusion the Brewers will try to get something instead of letting him walk and just saving some money. If he takes the QO, an OF of Davis, Parra, and Braun is still a formidable one after a trade of Gomez and doesn't preclude a trade of Parra next season should they not contend. Or they could keep Gomez, and trade Lind and move Parra to 1B.

Thing is they have lots of options to add some young talent without dismantling their roster completely. It's always an uphill climb for the Brewers competing with Cardinals and Cubs. There's no panacea. If they try to win every year and fail, guess what? They still get high draft picks. I hate the idea of purposely tanking seasons just to get rewarded with higher picks.

If Hernan Perez can be a solid contributor it's not too hard to see the Brewers retool dealing off Lohse, Aramis, Cotts, K rod and maybe even Segura and coming back next year with a much younger squad that would be a .500 ish team with a chance depending on how the younger arms developed. Lind might be tradeable under that scenario as well, but finding similar quality has proven tricky. I would tend to favor that approach certainly at least from a bargaining standpoint unless I got amazing offers for Gomez and Lucroy. If either goes I don't see it being likely that we could field a competitive team next year. The nice thing about retooling in this environment is that we have a lot of arms in AA and AAA we can look at in bullpen roles in the second half, as well as some other guys who are really role players but you might be able to get the regular ABs and see if they can show you enough to round out the team next year. You end up getting some more youth via trade, get a high round pick next year and can still deal your big value guys if things don't go well next year.

If Gomez and Lucroy are traded, and all of our 40 million or whatever it is of expiring contracts becomes available, we have a butt load of money to fill black holes. If KRod was dealt there'd be even more money. It's taboo around here and blasphemy to even suggest "Re-Tool" rather than Re-Build, but that's most likely what is going to happen, and what I think SHOULD happen.

If Gomez and Lucroy are traded, and all of our 40 million or whatever it is of expiring contracts becomes available, we have a butt load of money to fill black holes. If KRod was dealt there'd be even more money. It's taboo around here and blasphemy to even suggest "Re-Tool" rather than Re-Build, but that's most likely what is going to happen, and what I think SHOULD happen.

So who do they spend all that money on? David Price? Three different 2016 versions of Garza/Lohse? That's not gonna get us into the World Series

Now if they spent the money on International Talent and struck gold on some of the vets for prospects trades that they should be making, now we've got something to build on

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

So who do they spend all that money on? David Price? Three different 2016 versions of Garza/Lohse? That's not gonna get us into the World Series

Now if they spent the money on International Talent and struck gold on some of the vets for prospects trades that they should be making, now we've got something to build on

I think what superfly is suggesting is that if the Brewers use Lucroy and Gomez to acquire some good young talent now, and save up some cash in 2015 and 2016 because of those deals, they will have the cash necessary to fill 2 or 3 black holes by 2017.

If you trade Gomez and Lucroy now I'm sure you could get a couple cheap stopgaps to fill holes for 2016. i.e a Kurt Suzuki type journeyman guy.

Archived