Brewer Fanatic

Blockbuster Astros/Brewers trade proposed by Houston site.

I think we all know the majority of trades we propose will never come to fruition but it's still worth discussing.

It's not even within the realm of being realistic. We are trading Lucroy AND Gomez AND Lind for only one of Houston's top-10 prospects coming into the season? (Plus Singleton, who was a top prospect, but has obviously fallen off a cliff). It's absurd.

If u read my previous posts u would see I'm not in favor of what was originally posted. But people shouldn't dismiss the thread outright. We are discussing what exactly we would want in exchange for these guys.

Edit: My original post was in response to the idea that these three would never be traded together so it's not even worth discussing. I didn't think that was true, as there is definitely merit in discussing.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Verified Member
I think we have to consider the source (a Houston fan site) and also reflect a little bit when we propose our own deals and always seems to net a top 50 guy...

Perhaps you are underestimating the trade value of Gomez and Lucroy.

There is a big difference between a bunch of trades that probably won't happen and ridiculous fantasy land trade ideas. This is apart of the later.

I don't think I am being negative or a debbie downer stating the obvious.

Verified Member

I'm not sure the Astros have a package that I would trade Gomez for. Appel is good but he's a mid-rotation starter, doesn't have the upside that we should be looking for.

I would be thrilled with Parra for Singleton, but I doubt Houston pulls the trigger on that. He is young and (more importantly) cheaply controlled for a long time. Lots of value there.

I'm not sure the Astros have a package that I would trade Gomez for. Appel is good but he's a mid-rotation starter, doesn't have the upside that we should be looking for.

I would be thrilled with Parra for Singleton, but I doubt Houston pulls the trigger on that. He is young and (more importantly) cheaply controlled for a long time. Lots of value there.

[sarcasm]Yes just what the Brewers need. A guy who hits .170 and strikes out in nearly 50% of his at bats. Maybe if he improves we will have a guy who hits .210 and only striking out in 40% of his at bats! That would compliment his below average defense really well.[/sarcasm]

The Brewers can get something better than that gigantic problem. He has serious hitting issues.

Verified Member
[sarcasm]Yes just what the Brewers need. A guy who hits .170 and strikes out in nearly 50% of his at bats. Maybe if he improves we will have a guy who hits .210 and only striking out in 40% of his at bats! That would compliment his below average defense really well.[/sarcasm]

The Brewers can get something better than that gigantic problem. He has serious hitting issues.

He's also 23 and put up a .280 AVG and .940 OPS in AAA this season with 47 BB to just 63 K (313 PA). Not to mention the incredibly team-friendly contract.

I'm not settling for Singleton as a centerpiece of a Gomez trade, but that would be a huge coup for a guy like Parra. To the point that I don't think it is remotely realistic.

He's also 23 and put up a .280 AVG and .940 OPS in AAA this season with 47 BB to just 63 K (313 PA). Not to mention the incredibly team-friendly contract.

I'm not settling for Singleton as a centerpiece of a Gomez trade, but that would be a huge coup for a guy like Parra. To the point that I don't think it is remotely realistic.

There is nothing team friendly about his deal until he does something. Right now it was an impressive waste of $10mil. Yes he is young...I get that, but he has been incredibly bad in the MLB. He got an extended chance and was brutal.

Singleton for Parra would be an interesting trade idea. I personally wouldn't want anything to do with it, but I think the value is in the same ballpark. Like always hard to say if this is good value for Parra. Sadly I don't get to hear Doug Melvin's phone calls, but from rumors it sounds like the interest is pretty high in Parra.

Start with...

For Parra you need to include Stassi and/or AJ Reed, with the emphasis on and.

For Gomez you need to include Moren, Appel, Stassi, and Reed.

The idea of getting quality prospects at catcher first base, and third base helps the organization. This may allow for other things to happen.

No way they get AJ Reed in a Parra trade. Reed is mashing and scouts are extremely high on him. If they want AJ Reed they would have to take him as a centerpiece in a Gomez trade(that doesn't also include Appel). He mashed in A+ and still excelling in AA(small sample size). AJ Reed plus a couple minor pieces for Gomez would be a nice trade for the Brewers. That is if the Astros even want to trade him.

Verified Member
No way they get AJ Reed in a Parra trade. Reed is mashing and scouts are extremely high on him. If they want AJ Reed they would have to take him as a centerpiece in a Gomez trade(that doesn't also include Appel). He mashed in A+ and still excelling in AA(small sample size). AJ Reed plus a couple minor pieces for Gomez would be a nice trade for the Brewers. That is if the Astros even want to trade him.

Jon Singleton has twenty times as much value as AJ Reed.

I will take AJ Reed...I won't be blinded by a contract that *could* be a steal. I don't think the Brewers need his awful batting average or strikeouts. That is part of the problem they have now.

Ummm, think your losing it.

Verified Member

AJ Reed was not even ranked in the Astros top 10 prospects coming into the season. He's an advanced college hitter who was (unsurprisingly) feasting on A+ league pitching this season as a 22-year-old.

Last year Singleton was the same age and put up similar numbers at AAA, and is doing so again this year. He's also been ranked as high as the #25 prospect in all of baseball, is signed to a very team-friendly contract, and is a better athlete. The fact that he scuffled in a small MLB sample size is relatively insignificant. Much, much, much better prospect.

AJ Reed was not even ranked in the Astros top 10 prospects coming into the season. He's an advanced college hitter who was (unsurprisingly) feasting on A+ league pitching this season as a 22-year-old.

Last year Singleton was the same age and put up similar numbers at AAA, and is doing so again this year. He's also been ranked as high as the #25 prospect in all of baseball, is signed to a very team-friendly contract, and is a better athlete. The fact that he scuffled in a small MLB sample size is relatively insignificant. Much, much, much better prospect.

Lets stop calling his contract team friendly...currently there is nothing friendly about it and we don't know if it ever will be. Singleton may take years to figure it out if he ever does. Wouldn't be surprised if he is a 27-28 year old breakout guy making that team friendly deal too late to cash in on.

Sure he was once around the 25th ranked prospect, but he then dropped heavily pre-2014 which then was followed by 300 brutal at-bats at the MLB level. BA had him as the #82 prospect pre 2014 and others floated him around #50. AJ Reed will be that high if he continues to hit at AA.

As a lot on here like to say go for the prospects before they are big. AJ Reed is one of those guys.

Glad Singleton is putting up some nice numbers in AAA...on his THIRD go around at that level. I hope he could be putting together some decent stats at that point.

The Astros willingness to trade Singleton shows you who they would rather have at 1B long term. You don't go around dangling former top prospects that are MLB ready unless they have issues. Maybe saying he could headline a Gomez trade is being a bit bullish on my part, but I am still taking him over Singleton without much thought.

How is battling .267 last yr at AAA similar?

Verified Member

He put up a .397 OBP and .941 OPS with almost as many walks as strikeouts (42 BB vs. 52 K)... [sarcasm]Guess they should have sent him down to face teenagers in A+ in order to raise his prospect stock.[/sarcasm]

He put up a .397 OBP and .941 OPS with almost as many walks as strikeouts (42 BB vs. 52 K)... [sarcasm]Guess they should have sent him down to face teenagers in A+ in order to raise his prospect stock.[/sarcasm]

Look, I'm not saying he's bad and maybe he just needs a change of scenery. But parra for him is fine, but I'm not trading Gomez for a packaged centered around him.

Gomez for Santana, reed, Moran

Parra for singleton

Lind for reed, musgrove

Archived