Brewer Fanatic

Blockbuster Astros/Brewers trade proposed by Houston site.

This comes from @HouseofHouston (A @FanSided site devoted to Houston sports.)

CGomez

JLucroy

Lind

for

Mark Appel

Jonathon Singleton

Tony Kemp

Nolan Fontana

Max Stassi

Danry Vasquez

Asher Wojciechowski

Now excuse me while I go look all those guys up...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Appel was drafted #1 overall a couple years ago and recently pitched in the futures game. I think he's in the 30-40 overall MLB prospect range - which must be based on potential and stuff, because his numbers this season don't look very impressive.

Singleton has been in the majors for a bit now and has struggled mightily (.164 average in 330 at bats). His minor league numbers don't look all that stellar either.

The rest of the guys I've never heard of so I can't say, but that's a LOT to give up if those are the two main guys in the trade.

Yeah, the two pitchers had high WHIPs and two of the guys are middle infielders that they are probably looking to move so that Meir can take over. I am not sure we need middle infielders as a prize for those three MLB stars.

As we found out when the Brewers were buyers: fans often have overinflated perspectives on their team's minor league prospects.

Appel's value has really dropped but may be worth rolling the dice on.

For Carlos Gomez I'd want Colin Moran at the very least, and even Moran isn't a sure thing.

edit: meant to say "Buyers" not sellers.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Just heard back from my Astros buddy...He is tired of Carter/Singleton but cringes at the possibility of losing Appel (said he's been better of late). Also noted that they were looking for a starter from another deal and wasn't interested in Lohse or Garza.

I told him that two middle infielders would be a no go. Davis and Moran would have to be in the deal and he might have to take Parra and not CGomez.

Parra/Lucroy/Lind for Asher/Appel/Moran/Fontana/Danry/Stassi/Singleton was the closest we could come to...but I don't think either one of us loved it.

I had seen that, and it was intriguing on both sides. Kemp is a good hitter, but has been playing center because he's blocked by Altuve. Singleton has potential, but either could be a AAAA guy or a guy that needs a change of scenery. He's still really young. The amazing part for the Astros is that they could make this trade and still have a ton of depth in their farm. They have done a great job of stockpiling players, and I wish the Brewers would copy that method. It's going to be fun to watch the Astros for years to come, whether they make a big move this year or not.

Ditto on Moran. I didn't like Appel the first time he was drafted, as I'm not sold on him being any more than a mid-rotation guy, tops. I see him more as a back-end guy. He's one of those high floor guys, low ceiling guys to me.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Rather have Santana/Michael Feliz/Colin Moran/A.J. Reed

Well yeah, wouldn't anybody! Those 4 would probably be a majority of the top 5 of Brewer prospects if they were traded. Reed is going to be a stud. He's a beast when it comes to power. Feliz seems to profile more as a reliever, but he's got hard stuff. Santana has redeemed himself from his disastrous MLB debut last year. But I don't think that the Astros would want to give any of them up.

Mark Appel would be the best pitcher in our system the minute this would be announced...

Because he was a #1 pick at one point? He's 24 years old and has been among the older players at each level he's been at. He hasn't exactly dominated like he should. He had a nice year in AA last year but he was 23 and it was only 6 starts. His FIP has been on the high side, his K/9 has decreased this year and his B/9 has increased. Obviously small sample size but for a college senior and an older player, I would expect more out of him. I also don't think his "stuff" is that great.

On the flip side, as a 19 year old in A ball, Medeiros has a similar walk rate but a 2.92 FIP with over 9 k/9.

Appel might have the highest floor but he is what he is at this point. Medieros could really be something special. I suppose it's all a matter of what you value - floor or ceiling.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Appel is kind of an odd guy. Big pedigree, flashes of brilliance, but mediocre results. I haven't seen the guy pitch, so I'd leave it to others to to judge his ultimate value, but if the club sees him as a top of the rotation type, he's certainly the type of guy to go after - if Houston is willing to deal him.

Moran and Reed would fill needs (3B and 1B). Moran hasn't matured as expected in the power department, but he's hit for average. Still, I'd love to have the guy - he'd immediately be our top 3B prospect. Reed has put up some killer numbers at A ball, but I don't know much about him. Huge guy - something like 240-250 lbs.

Any of these guys have their question marks, but they do have promise. I don't think any are sure things (not many players are), but there's a lot to like about them.

I wouldn't touch Appel with a 10 foot pole today, at this point I doubt he'll ever be a top of the rotation starter.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wouldn't touch Appel with a 10 foot pole today, at this point I doubt he'll ever be a top of the rotation starter.

I align with your thoughts and respect your opinion more than just about anyone who posts here. Glad to see we are in agreement.

Being a Vanderbilt fan and college Baseball fan in general, I've always liked Tony Kemp. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up being better than Scooter (and I'm a big Scooter fan). Seems to be able to hit both LHP & RHP, gets on-base, good glove. I'd like him even more if was a huge SB threat, but still he can steal 25-30 bases a season. Will never hit for power but the glove & OBP ability are there.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

This is basically a deal where you get a former #1 overall pick who's lost value and you hope can one day get it back and a bunch of average prospects.

I'd much rather trade the three of them separately unless the value of trading two or all three of them together is overwhelmingly in our favor and this isn't even close.

I'd take him but NOT as the center of a deal of this size. I know it's not great to compare but when I see Jungmann I'm wondering if pedigree isn't as important as minor league performance.

If such a deal were to be made, id expect anyone not named Correa from their top 7-8 prospects.

Gomez/Lucroy/Lind will never go in a deal together. No team would trade the amount of prospects it would take to facilitate such a deal. That is if they even had the prospect power to offer the necessary guys.

The above offer would a horrible deal for the Brewers. Very rarely is packaging guys a good idea.

Gomez/Lucroy/Lind will never go in a deal together. No team would trade the amount of prospects it would take to facilitate such a deal. That is if they even had the prospect power to offer the necessary guys.

The above offer would a horrible deal for the Brewers. Very rarely is packaging guys a good idea.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/51e87cc7bb9073f502c5b86365b8d0ba/tumblr_mlxakp15K61s0pj15o1_400.gif

Just talking hypotheticals here. I think we all know the majority of trades we propose will never come to fruition but it's still worth discussing.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/51e87cc7bb9073f502c5b86365b8d0ba/tumblr_mlxakp15K61s0pj15o1_400.gif

Just talking hypotheticals here. I think we all know the majority of trades we propose will never come to fruition but it's still worth discussing.

I don't even think it's worth discussing. It's just so far in favor of the Astros, it's ridiculous. The only appealing piece to me is Appel and his star has dimmed considerably since he was drafted.

Verified Member
This comes from @HouseofHouston (A @FanSided site devoted to Houston sports.)

CGomez

JLucroy

Lind

for

Mark Appel

Jonathon Singleton

Tony Kemp

Nolan Fontana

Max Stassi

Danry Vasquez

Asher Wojciechowski

This is a complete joke and would never happen. In my mind, it's in the same league as proposing Carlos Correa for Matt Garza and cash.

Verified Member
I think we all know the majority of trades we propose will never come to fruition but it's still worth discussing.

It's not even within the realm of being realistic. We are trading Lucroy AND Gomez AND Lind for only one of Houston's top-10 prospects coming into the season? (Plus Singleton, who was a top prospect, but has obviously fallen off a cliff). It's absurd.

Archived