Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Mariners?

I aggree there aren't many reasons to trade a player with over 2 years left on his deal when they are a pretty big player, but after you get to two years you really must consider trading that guy. Especially when they are going out of their prime, you won't be competing, and you don't want to resign them. Once you get to two years you start heading into a window where a major injury or regression could be costly/risky. Carlos Gomez might be a good example. He has regressed a touch and that could hurt his value. Do you trade him with slightly less value or do you hope he regains some for an off-season trade? What if he gets worse?...now you are in big trouble.

I'd even seriously consider trading Lucroy now if a crazy offer came in...even if I could theoretically get that same offer 6-12 months from now. It doesn't take long for a catcher to fall of the planet and I'd rather not play with fire.

Baseball is a business and that is one of the very tricky decisions. By trading him now you lose out on a lot of money coming in from what that player sold(tickets/merchandise/etc.), but you don't risk them getting injured or regress which would hurt the return on a trade.

I'd rather get guys in the lower minors at this point. Walker is MLB ready and we don't need him this year or next year. I'm sure he'll be a great post season reliever if Seattle makes the playoffs.

I really hope we trade Lucroy though. The only reason not to is if we try to rush the rebuild and that would be a mistake with what we have. Arcia and Jimmy Nelson are not going to carry us to the playoffs in 2016-2017 but they could be nice pieces of a 2018 team.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

To quote the guys over at Brew Crew Ball, "What would the Brewers get if they traded Lucroy? The biggest haul of prospects you have ever seen." They can get more than Walker for him. A lot more.

If the Brewers put Lucroy on the market, a majority of teams in baseball are going to want in, contending or not right now. They will trade other players to acquire the young talent needed to trade for Lucroy. Let teams bid up on Lucroy at the winter meetings. Some teams that would desperately want him aren't ready to make that deal right now.

I was hoping this was true and Walker was on the way with possibly others. Could be an ace and knock guys like Peralta and Nelson down a peg in the rotation.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To quote the guys over at Brew Crew Ball, "What would the Brewers get if they traded Lucroy? The biggest haul of prospects you have ever seen." They can get more than Walker for him. A lot more.

If the Brewers put Lucroy on the market, a majority of teams in baseball are going to want in, contending or not right now. They will trade other players to acquire the young talent needed to trade for Lucroy. Let teams bid up on Lucroy at the winter meetings. Some teams that would desperately want him aren't ready to make that deal right now.

They can't get "the biggest haul of prospeccts you have ever seen" because there is nobody out there that is willing to do a deal like that. It's likely why Lucroy (and Gomez) will not be dealt...it is simply just not realistic for two sides to agree on such a tag.

Verified Member
Alex Jackson pulled mysteriously last night - Mariners nation buzzing it is likely due to a trade happening

Suddenly very interesting if true, because I can't think of a catcher on the trade market who would command Jackson in return other than Luc. (Maybe Wieters, but I wouldn't think the Orioles would want to trade him)

Alex Jackson pulled mysteriously last night - Mariners nation buzzing it is likely due to a trade happening

What realiable source thinks that? Just some fans?

If a player is being pulled from a game it means a trade is very close and this time of year everything slips through the cracks before it happens. Not only that but a trade of that magnitude would be rumored right from the get go.

It would be mind blowingly shocking if the Brewers were to trade Lucroy before anyone else....it would be shocking if he is traded period this deadline.

Verified Member

What realiable source thinks that? Just some fans?

If a player is being pulled from a game it means a trade is very close and this time of year everything slips through the cracks before it happens. Not only that but a trade of that magnitude would be rumored right from the get go.

It would be mind blowingly shocking if the Brewers were to trade Lucroy before anyone else....it would be shocking if he is traded period this deadline.

Blockbuster trades happen all the time with zero advance notice, especially if/when the Brewers are involved. But yeah, fans generally overreact about players getting pulled. Just part of the fun (?) of hot stove season.

yes

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Verified Member
Just part of the fun (?) of hot stove season.
Has absolutely nothing to do with this, but isn't hot stove season in the winter?

Given the Brewers' record, I consider July to effectively be the off-season. :)

Archived