Brewer Fanatic

Lucroy to Mariners?

With the rumors of the Mariners close to trading for a Catcher, could it be Lucroy?

Mariners get: LuCroy/Garza

Brewers get: Walker/Montero

Even though Montero doesn't play Catcher anymore, he could be our 1b replacement for Lind. Hes batting .332 with 15 hrs this year in AAA and looks to be turning into the prospect every one thought he would be.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Walker's really interesting. Started terrible - 7.33 ERA in his first nine starts. 3.04 ERA since. Strikeout per inning. So he seems to have settled in. A lot people have liked the guy for a while.

It's probably not a bad matchup. I just don't know if Seattle would give a decent looking starter - they've had issues with the rotation.

I didn't realize Montero was hitting that well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Came here just to see if it was Lucroy. I'd take Walker and Montero but I can definitely see some posters here having a problem with only getting back major league ready talent. No way the Mariners want Garza though.

I don't mind major league talent so long as we have significant control over the player. We'd still have Walker through 2020, which is fine.

Came here just to see if it was Lucroy. I'd take Walker and Montero but I can definitely see some posters here having a problem with only getting back major league ready talent. No way the Mariners want Garza though.

I don't mind major league talent so long as we have significant control over the player. We'd still have Walker through 2020, which is fine.

I'd like Walker too but I'm not sold on Montero being anything other than a AAAA 1B bat. This organization already has enough of those.

Walker's really interesting. Started terrible - 7.33 ERA in his first nine starts. 3.04 ERA since. Strikeout per inning. So he seems to have settled in. A lot people have liked the guy for a while.

It's probably not a bad matchup. I just don't know if Seattle would give a decent looking starter - they've had issues with the rotation.

I didn't realize Montero was hitting that well.

Ever since he lost weight and got his attitude right, he's been playing really good.

I'm betting the guy they are getting is Derek Norris from the Padres. Norris is expendable because the Pads have top prospect Austin Hedges about ready to take over. That and the fact that the Padres like to deal.

Brewers aren't about to deal Lucroy now with them transitioning to a young staff. Maldonado is not a starting caliber catcher.

How Lucroy + (Fiers and/or prospects) to get Walker and Paxton?

Slide Walker & Paxton into Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann and you might have the makings of an above average to great rotation in 2017.

But no catcher.

In a vacuum, yes. However, that is why you have to accept the rebuild and move Ramirez, Gomez, Garza, Lohse, Broxton, Parra, etc... and target one in another trade. For example, if the Brewers got Walker and Paxton for Lucroy, maybe they could focus on say a D'Arnaud + deal from the Mets for Gomez.

How Lucroy + (Fiers and/or prospects) to get Walker and Paxton?

Slide Walker & Paxton into Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann and you might have the makings of an above average to great rotation in 2017.

But no catcher.

In a vacuum, yes. However, that is why you have to accept the rebuild and move Ramirez, Gomez, Garza, Lohse, Broxton, Parra, etc... and target one in another trade. For example, if the Brewers got Walker and Paxton for Lucroy, maybe they could focus on say a D'Arnaud + deal from the Mets for Gomez.

All those other guys can be traded without creating a hole that may take a decade to properly fill. Of all franchises, one that's gone through the rogue's gallery of lousy catchers that the Brewers have had should at least acquire an heir apparent first before surrendering arguably the best in franchise history. Teams knowing you need a catcher aren't going to give you one unless you pay up.

Chasing one's tail might be amusing for a dog, but not a major league franchise.

I'd love to get Walker and Paxton in a deal, but why would the M's give up 2/5 of their current starting rotation when they are trying to make a run at the playoffs? I know that you've added Fiers into the deal, but is he really going to be an upgrade over Walker or Paxton? Maybe he would be a slight upgrade over Walker at this time, but that is even questionable. I think we'd probably have to hope for a Walker, DJ Peterson and perhaps a high ceiling A-ball player in return if we were giving up Lucroy. Might be too much to ask for, but Lucroy should bring back at least 2 big prospects IMO, and Peterson isn't exactly tearing it up this year, so there is some risk there.

First off, I highly doubt Lucroy is the catcher that Seattle is working on a deal with.

If he were, Taijuan Walker would be a great start to any deal, but I would need more to part with Lucroy. I dont know what Seattle has in their system, but I would not look at the Major League Roster for as second player. Any deal surrounding Lucroy and Walker would have to be expanded though to replace Walker in their rotation. Perhaps Lucroy and Garza (retaining some salary) for Walker plus a prospect or two. That makes the most sense.

Lucroy is a very good player (.350 OBP in the last 28 days even) but this is the time to cut the cord on a player who is likely beginning a long slow decline.

He clearly wants out, too, judging by his recent comments. He has plenty of value so he should bring back a nice haul

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Despite moving to release Triple-A backstop Erik Kratz, the Mariners are not “close” to a deal to add a new catcher, multiple sources tell Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times (Twitter link). He does add that Seattle has been looking for a new reserve behind the dish, though it has found the prices unreasonable.

Guess its not Lucroy

LUC is not going to get move this season maybe the offseason?

Earliest I see him being traded is after the 2016 season and that's no certainty. You just can't get value for a premier player in his prime with such a modest contract. That's the same issue with dealing Gomez. Both those guys would be certain to get QO if they get to FA and thus return a high draft pick regardless.

Archived