Brewer Fanatic

What are you looking for in the second half?

CheezWizHed
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

There are plenty of threads on trades. So beyond that, what are you going to see in the second half? I want to see:

Jungmann, Fiers, Peralta, and Nelson have priority for SP spots

Wait until next year for Arcia

Hernan starts at 3B.

Jungman continues to dominate and establishes himself as a #1 or #2.

Cravy continues to pitch like a mid rotation starter.

Fiers closes out the year pitching well.

Lohse released. Garza to the bullpen. Broxton released.

Team manages to secure a top 10 pitch in what appears to be a very deep 2016 draft.

I want to see trades and the young guys play. I want a top 5 draft pick as well.

Ditto

I'm greedy as I want a Bucks-style tank job (top 3 pick) with a lineup as follows:

Segura

Gennett

Braun

Davis

Rogers/Clark

Perez

Maldonado

Schafer/anyone else with a glove

Pitcher

But that's just me...

Hammer

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Braun to be healthy the rest of the year

Gomez and Lucroy to hit well the rest of the year to increase value as I don't either will be dealt before the deadline.

Trade any of the older guys, Parra and Lind should bring back decent prospects with a chance.

Ramirez is a class act, hopefully he gets traded to a contender and does well to finish his career.

Nelson, Peralta, Jungman, Fiers locked in the rotation. Lohse can go to mop up or released and if Garza keeps struggling bring up another young guy and see what happens.

I'm probably most looking forward to reading the analysis of the prospects that the Brewers received in trades and then following them in the minor leagues for the rest of the year. Would like to see Perez play every day soon and determine if he has a future here. Would also like to see Chapman recalled as I like feel good stories especially in seasons like this.

1st is not to pull what we did in 2013?where we played great in August and September pushing our top draft pick back from top 3 to 12.

Of course the young staff rolling. Be nice to see more Cravy, Wagner, even Lopez with the way he has been dominant.

If Gomez and Parra go, hopefully Wren could get a look this season out there.... Schafer has had too many chances he has wasted.

Ride out Perez to see what you have there. If segura is traded, see what Sardinas and Rivera have to offer. Hector Gomez has been pretty blah and isn't in long term future IMO

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I want to see Lohse released and further development from the young starters. I also want to see Garza find his groove and improve the chances of dealing him if not this winter by the deadline next season.

If Ramirez can't be traded, I want him relegated to bench bat, with starts only against LHP or against the division rivals, and otherwise I want Perez playing full time at 3B.

If they can't get value for Parra in a deal, I'd like to see him held on to and continue to rake so Brewers can offer him a QO and net a high draft pick. I'm fairly confident though that there's enough teams interested that he will net considerable value in return.

I'm hoping for big second halves for both Segura and Gomez, the two most likely to be dealt this winter.

I want to see good competitive baseball. I don't want to see them lay down and be fodder for the Cards, Cubs and Pirates. That would be disgusting. I want them to show they can compete with those teams.

I don't want them to deal Lind without getting some top talent in return. I'd be fine going into 2016 with Lind at 1B. Mostly because I think a lineup that has Braun, Lucroy, Lind, and Davis in the middle of it has a fighting chance of staying afloat long enough for the debut of Arcia in early June and that's not even considering the possibility of getting some help at the major league level in return for Gomez and Segura or at least prospects that could emerge in 2016.

Your line about the lineup just hit me about how this team shouldn't be so bad. Braun, Lucroy, Gomez, Lind, Davis, Ramirez should have been a good offense. Killed by injuries early, Braun struggling in April, but most importantly by Lohse and Garza being disasters this year.

I want to see Lohse released and further development from the young starters. I also want to see Garza find his groove and improve the chances of dealing him if not this winter by the deadline next season.

If Ramirez can't be traded, I want him relegated to bench bat, with starts only against LHP or against the division rivals, and otherwise I want Perez playing full time at 3B.

If they can't get value for Parra in a deal, I'd like to see him held on to and continue to rake so Brewers can offer him a QO and net a high draft pick. I'm fairly confident though that there's enough teams interested that he will net considerable value in return.

I'm hoping for big second halves for both Segura and Gomez, the two most likely to be dealt this winter.

I want to see good competitive baseball. I don't want to see them lay down and be fodder for the Cards, Cubs and Pirates. That would be disgusting. I want them to show they can compete with those teams.

I don't want them to deal Lind without getting some top talent in return. I'd be fine going into 2016 with Lind at 1B. Mostly because I think a lineup that has Braun, Lucroy, Lind, and Davis in the middle of it has a fighting chance of staying afloat long enough for the debut of Arcia in early June and that's not even considering the possibility of getting some help at the major league level in return for Gomez and Segura or at least prospects that could emerge in 2016.

Me too. I watch baseball for entertainment and I want to be entertained. I'm sure some players will be dealt and I'll miss them but I don't want us to tank the season for a draft pick either. I'm sure we'll end up with a top 10 pick and I can surely live with that.

I want to see one or two starts from Wagner, Lopez, Suter. I want to see Chapman, Ross, and Magnifico get a few opportunities out of the pen. I want to see Rivera get a September call-up and 50 ABs. I want to see Rogers get some extended playing time/ ABs.

I'm sure I'm missing somebody, but that's off the top of my head.

Your line about the lineup just hit me about how this team shouldn't be so bad. Braun, Lucroy, Gomez, Lind, Davis, Ramirez should have been a good offense. Killed by injuries early, Braun struggling in April, but most importantly by Lohse and Garza being disasters this year.

Too many guys in the lineup were plain awful and/or hurt the first month, Braun, Gennett, Lucroy, Ramirez. Only Lind and Segura hit at all the first month. Far too many AB's were going to guys like Herrera, Hector Gomez, Maldonado, Schafer, etc. Had they gotten solid pitching from the front of their rotation, they might have weathered that but Lohse and Garza weren't up to the task. Roenicke failed to get the stench out of last year's collapse off of them and they began the year pressing both offensively and on the mound. That's on Roenicke but also on Melvin who should have fired RR at season's end.

Living out of market, I get other team's perspectives on the Brewers. Almost to a man, out of town announcers wonder how a team with their lineup could be so far out of it. John Smoltz has been using the Brewers as prime example of why MLB should go to two halves. He believes the Brewers would be a major factor if they had reset the standings at the midpoint. Like me, he's not a fan of teams gutting their rosters the final couple months because they got off to a slow start. Now there's tremendous pressure on teams to sell off players, even those they control beyond the current season. That doesn't make for competitive baseball in August and September as regrouping teams are simply fodder for the contending teams that have loaded up.

I have a few friends that think we "win" if we can reach .500 this season because they are entertained when we win. Personally, I'm entertained by:

1) Watching our young talent develop (i.e. the Bucks last year).

2) Building a championship caliber team (i.e. the Badgers BB last year)

3) Racing sausages

Yes, its nice to win, but continued mediocrity leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I don't want to tank, but I'm fine with targeting #1 (and #3) for this year so we can target #2 in the next years. A .500 team from a young team that is growing together (i.e. the Bucks again) is exciting. From an aging team that doesn't have a future together... not so much.

Now there's tremendous pressure on teams to sell off players, even those they control beyond the current season. That doesn't make for competitive baseball in August and September as regrouping teams are simply fodder for the contending teams that have loaded up.

With the expanded playoff system, there aren't too many teams out of the race in Aug/Sept. So I don't think this is as big a problem as you think.

Right, I think that was the biggest reason (besides money) they added the extra team. It's also why it's a sellers market this year. Basically noone in the AL is out of it. And only a couple teams in the NL.

When I say I prefer competitiveness I still want to see effort and energy even if it's a loss. And don't want tons of blowouts, April was brutal this year with the blowouts so it got depressing. If they go 2-4 most weeks but don't get blown out I'm fine with it. It's also generally a sign that the young pitchers are doing at least OK if they're not getting blown out.

There are plenty of threads on trades. So beyond that, what are you going to see in the second half? I want to see:

Jungmann, Fiers, Peralta, and Nelson have priority for SP spots

Wait until next year for Arcia

Hernan starts at 3B.

I think these are some good starting point. Let the young guys play. Cycle out the guys who aren't part of the future. A-Ram, Cotts, Broxton, Parra, Lohse - all are gone after the season, so actively look to move them. Some have value, some don't. Some may take longer to move than others, but ultimately, move them so you have room for younger players with a future. None of them should be on the team once September comes around. If not one wants A-Ram or Lohse by then, even for minimal salary relief, you just let them go and let other guys get a chance to play.

I don't want to rush guys. Arcia, Reed, Taylor - those kinds of players can wait another year. Their time will come, but don't start service clocks before players are ready. And no point in sticking them on bad teams when you don't have to.

I really want to make sure Scooter and Davis get regular playing time. It's time for those guys to show what they can do. Let 'em play regularly. It's their job - now prove you deserve.

I'd make bullpen spots for Goforth and Chapman - again, guys who could be part of the future.

As for Perez as 3B, I'm not at all sold on him as a regular there (or even 2B). He'll never hit enough for 3B. But at this point, I don't really care. Like with Scooter and Davis, I'm okay giving him a shot once you let go of Ramirez. If he surprises, great. If not, you learn about his limitations.

Rotation is Fiers, Peralta, Jungmann, Nelson and Garza (or Cravy if Garza is injured).

Speaking of Garza, let him stay in the rotation and hope to regain some value. You might not be able to trade him today, but if he has a good 2nd half, maybe this offseason he can net something decent. Or if he starts off 2016 pitching well, someone might want him then. If Garza has long term health issues that sideline him this year, just let Cravy start.

As noted in the thread intro, this isn't really about trades, but I'll just say you put everyone who isn't part of the future available for the right price. Gomez, Lind, Lucroy, K-Rod - even Peralta and Segura (who both have three years of control left). Get young talent, as high upside as possible. None of these players has to be dealt this year if the offer isn't what you want. You can do things in the off season, or next year. Whatever works.

I'm looking for them to win out in July and be at .500 heading into August. Maybe a few minor trades (moving Parra, Cotts, Ramirez, Lohse/Garza) but keeping the core together and going after it in the second half with a very young pitching staff. I then see said young pitching staff to run out of gas in late September and miss out on the playoffs but giving us hope for the future!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'd just like to see as many young guys get as much playing time as possible. If that's seeing the old guys who won't be part of the next contender here benched, traded, or released, that's fine.

I want to see Cravy and Jungmann getting starts, and see what they do the 2nd time through the league.

I'd like to see how Hernan Perez does playing every day. I don't think he's an .800 OPS guy, but I want to see how he holds up.

I want to see Sardinas back up and playing every day, or at least 3-4 days a week. Same with Jason Rogers.

I'm looking for them to win out in July and be at .500 heading into August. Maybe a few minor trades (moving Parra, Cotts, Ramirez, Lohse/Garza) but keeping the core together and going after it in the second half with a very young pitching staff. I then see said young pitching staff to run out of gas in late September and miss out on the playoffs but giving us hope for the future!

Shouldn't this be in the optimism thread?

Not getting a top 10 pick in the next draft would be a disappointment. Just missing the playoffs would be a disaster. Then we don't get a good pick and there is no change in the direction of the franchise. More mediocrity.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Do only negative comments apply to what I want to see in the second half?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I, unlike many people, want to see the Brewers do good and win some games. While the draw of a Top 5 pick is great I think a lot of people are forgetting what has to happen for that to come to fruition. Most notably poor play from a team that will mostly be young guys. I'd rather see Jungmann, Nelson, Fiers, Peralta, Davis, etc play well and have a 8-13 pick if that means our young guys played well. I think that would be better for the future.

Archived