Brewer Fanatic

Handicapping the landing spots for Parra or Gomez

From my perspective, skewed heavily towards pitching, and knowing that there are only a couple of deals for young impact pitching every year, the Jays trading Hoffman is like a punch in the gut.

People can talk about a better return in the winter all they want, but the best pitcher likely available in 2015 just went at the deadline to someone else and so far all we've done is trade Ramirez for a potential reliever.

Yes I know, queue the "he's making the best deals he can" excuses for Melvin that repeatedly pop up, yet somehow other teams manage to trade for the talent we covet while the Brewers don't get it done unless they are trading for a MLB piece like Sabathia, Marcum, or Greinke.

I sincerely hope to be proven wrong but even though the 2015 season has been a disaster for the MLB team it could have been a net positive for the organization as a whole if some impact young players were acquired via trade, unfortunately as I've said before I have no faith in this front office to move the players necessary to acquire that kind of talent. Meanwhile other teams are making deals and potential impact talent is moving while the Brewers sit on the sidelines...

Maybe they pull off a deal, but the list of available impact talent is shrinking as are the teams we match up with.

edit. days should have been deals

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in fairness, no one thought the Jays were in the market for a fragile big money SS, so maybe our potential market isn't as narrow as we think.

I will worry about judging the trading deadline on August 1st. So far its just a meh, but you never know.

Picking up Tulo tells me that the Jays were not just trying to improve this year, but also extend their offensive core's years together. And I don't see them dealing Hoffman in that case for Gomez.

Pompey is a top-50 prospect for a reason. He's only 22, so perhaps the Jays have confidence he will develop into a star player, and thus that devalues Gomez to them. How do you know that Hoffman was even available to the Brewers for Gomez?

Let's remember that Hoffman is coming off of TJ, and while that surgery is more successful than in the past, it's not uncommon for those guys to have a second one a handful of years later. Daniel Hudson has pitched less than 90 innings over the last four seasons due to two TJ surgeries.

Toronto still has Norris, Reid-Foley, and Perdomo available to trade, as well as Pompey if they think Gomez is an upgrade.

Deal Gomez to Mets for Matz and get Norris for Fiers

Other prospects can be thrown in as well

Now we have two frontline lefties which never happens in Milwaukee

Norris

Peralta

Matz

Nelson

Jungmann sounds like a rotation to build around!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

The Toronto trade makes me think they are all in this year...and a deal for Gomez, Fiers and K-Rod would fall right in line with that thinking. The Tulo deal does not preclude the Jays from still making a deal with the Brewers to go all in. Those three for Norris, Pompey and Pentecost seems like a reasonable return for the Brewers.

The Toronto trade makes me think they are all in this year...and a deal for Gomez, Fiers and K-Rod would fall right in line with that thinking. The Tulo deal does not preclude the Jays from still making a deal with the Brewers to go all in. Those three for Norris, Pompey and Pentecost seems like a reasonable return for the Brewers.

Need more than that for me.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Need more than that for me.

I agree, those 3 plus 2-3 high upside lower level guys

Or

[sarcasm]Those 3 for the rights of Vlad Guerrero Jr....[/sarcasm]

Gomez along could possible leverage Norris and Pompey.... I'm even more confident of that after seeing what they all gave to Colorado for Tulo. Fiers is a high prospect like Pentencost plus a low guy like Tellez and KRod is another solid B type prospect at least (a B and a PTBNL) IMO

What in the world are the angels doing? Trading for 3 outfielders in what, 2 days? I know it takes one suitor for parra off the list but also makes the OF trade bait pile smaller. Doug really should get his trades going before no one needs what we have.

It's prob been linked somewhere here about Gomez today but most believe brewers are not looking to trade him and must be blown away to deal him. He better get hot the next 3 games and push some team over the top on him.

My money is come Saturdays game vs the Cubs the lineup up will have Segura, Lucroy, Gomez, and Braun. Even Lind I could see.

Parra is only for sure gone, I'd think Cotts to.

Rest will be dealt (if they are going to be) in off season once new GM is named prior to Winter Meetings

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but the odds on favorite is for this organization to not trade EITHER Parra or Gomez, and likely nothing else either. Couple token August trades like Broxton and then tell everybody they tried their damndest to get it done.

Sorry to bust everyone's bubble, but the odds on favorite is for this organization to not trade EITHER Parra or Gomez, and likely nothing else either. Couple token August trades like Broxton and then tell everybody they tried their damndest to get it done.

Why do you say that superfly? Not trading Parra would be foolish at this point, but I could see Gomez staying put.

He doesnt know that. A bunch of 16 yr old girls freaking out because the boy they just met hasnt called them yet. There are still 3 days left and outside of Cueto and Tulo, there really hasnt been any of the big trades yet. Once Hammels goes then the starter market will open up. Parra will be gone. THe only way I can see him still being here is if the Brewers feel that the comp pick is worth more than what they are being offered. In that case can you blame them?

Parra will be traded. If you think otherwise you're either naive or blind with hatred.

@WiscoSportsNut

What in the world are the angels doing? Trading for 3 outfielders in what, 2 days? I know it takes one suitor for parra off the list but also makes the OF trade bait pile smaller. Doug really should get his trades going before no one needs what we have.

To answer your question, they are apparently trying to cheaply fill a void with quantity, not quality. Color me very unimpressed with what they gave up to get those guys. DeJesus is so bad against lefties that he never plays against them; of course, 70% of pitchers are right-handed, but his OPS this season against righties is a very mediocre .715; Parra is way better than that, and worth way more than what the Angels gave up for him.

He doesnt know that. A bunch of 16 yr old girls freaking out because the boy they just met hasnt called them yet. There are still 3 days left and outside of Cueto and Tulo, there really hasnt been any of the big trades yet. Once Hammels goes then the starter market will open up. Parra will be gone. THe only way I can see him still being here is if the Brewers feel that the comp pick is worth more than what they are being offered. In that case can you blame them?

Wait. Are you suggesting the Brewers will extend a QO for over $15 mil to Gerrardo Parra?

Gruber Lawffices

being that he is 28, this is his cash in contract. He would likely get a 7-8 mil contract for 3-4 years.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but you're suggesting they pay him $15 mil for one year while his market value is half that? He would jump at the QO in that scenario and hit the market again next year. If he turned down the QO, nobody will be willing to sign him with draft pick compensation attached. I feel it's very unlikely they end up with draft pick compensation for him.

Gruber Lawffices

Parra will be traded. If you think otherwise you're either naive or blind with hatred.

"Frustrated" and "realistic" might be the term you're looking for. Say Parra does go (and I want him to), no matter what we get back short of the #1 pick in last year's draft everybody will think it's a terrible deal.

Don't lose sight of the fact MA wants to go for it every single year, that plays a huge part in everything. Hell, he probably still thinks we can win 20 in a row and get that 2nd wild card spot.

being that he is 28, this is his cash in contract. He would likely get a 7-8 mil contract for 3-4 years.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but you're suggesting they pay him $15 mil for one year while his market value is half that? He would jump at the QO in that scenario and hit the market again next year. If he turned down the QO, nobody will be willing to sign him with draft pick compensation attached. I feel it's very unlikely they end up with draft pick compensation for him.

I thought of that too, but he may bet on himself and get that 25mil gururanteed vs taking the quick 15mil. The newer pick compensation hampers my thought though.

Archived