Brewer Fanatic

Handicapping the landing spots for Parra or Gomez

NYY - 20:1 - Don't have a huge need, but they get what they want. Both Gomez and Parra would be the youngest OF on the roster. Beltran is on his last legs, Young is a free agent, and an OF of Gomez, Ellsbury, and Gardner could cover a lot of ground. Don't know if they have the prospects to get Gomez.

BAL - 6:1 - Parra is a nice fit here to rectify the failed Delmon Young experiment, as BAL needs a 3rd OF badly. The teams are no strangers to making deals, and if BAL is willing to move Sisco it could be a done deal, but other than Sisco there isn't much to their system that I would want that BAL is likely to move.

TBR - 10:1 - Parra would be the best OF on the team, much less Gomez, and they need an offensive boost. Gomez isn't the type of move they would make, but Parra's reasonable salary might be if they want to make a push. Don't match up well prospect-wise though, as many of their top prospects are infielders and outfielders. With the depth they have at SP, would be interesting if they offered Matt Moore for Gomez. Would be funny if they offered Odorizzi for Gomez.

TOR: 6:1 - If there is a spot for Gomez at the deadline this is it. With Buehrle and Dickey on the wrong side of 35 it may be time to go for it. They have the trade pieces too - Norris, Pentecost, Hoffman, Castro. These teams match up well with needs & prospects. Outside chance at a blockbuster here - Gomez, K-Rod, and Cotts for...

KCR: 8-1 - Gordon is out for 8 weeks, and Rios is washed up. Heck, Logan Schafer might be an upgrade on Rios. Parra would be very interesting to them. I wonder if Shane Peterson would be a low-cost temporary solution until Gordon returns.

MIN: 5-1 - Again, Parra might be the best OF on that team right now, much less Gomez. If they're not willing to move Buxton, Sano, or Berrios then I don't know if a deal for Gomez happens as there's a big dropoff after that; might take at least Stewart plus one or both of Gonsalves and Hu. Other than those three there aren't many prospects of theirs that I would want. Parra for Hu? Hu would make for priceless listening to Uecker.

HOU: 20-1 - With Springer on the DL and Marisnick struggling, perhaps Parra makes sense. But I don't think this is the year they go for it, and the Astros likely have a bigger need at SP.

LAA: 6-1 - Parra and Lind to the Angels makes too much sense. The only question is if the prospects line up. Don't know if Lind and Parra are enough to get Newcomb, but I might take Kubitza and Gatto.

WSN: 10-1 - With Span on the DL with back spasms and Werth on the DL for a while longer with the wrist fractures, grabbing Parra might make a lot of sense. Taylor has had some big hits, but overall his sub .700 OPS means they can upgrade. If the prognosis on Werth isn't good, do they go for it and make a splash for Go-Go?

NYM: 8-1 - What don't the Mets need offensively? Parra would be a nice upgrade over Cuddyer, and with the big OF there a good defensive OF has extra value. The question is, would Parra + Ramirez + Segura be enough to get one of the Mets stud young pitchers? What about Gomez + Ramirez?

STL: 10-1 - Holliday and Jay on the DL, Jay has stunk all year, Grichuck is due to come back to Earth, and Bourjous has been mediocre. If the prognosis on Holliday and Jay isn't good, might be a good bet for Parra. The last trade between the two worked out well for MIL.

PIT: 12-1 - Hart is no longer a quality option defensively and Polanco has struggled. Parra to PIT - if nothing else to make STL mad - is not that far-fetched.

CHC: 8-1 - Soler and Fowler struggling; again, Parra's position flexibility has value and the Cubs have plenty of prospects to deal. Because of that, this is the sleeper destination for Gomez.

SFG: 6-1 - SF reportedly loves Parra, and with Aoki out a few more weeks it creates a need. The question is if prospects match up. If they won't part with Beede or Bickford there isn't much, but I might take Aramis Garcia plus PTBNL 4th round pick Mac Marshall or Parra. One of Beede/Bickford plus Garcia and Marshall for Gomez?

Lots of potential suitors here, and the high demand for Parra and possibly Gomez I think will push up the return, especially if you can play some division rivals against each other.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Giants or the Royals make the most sense to me...especially SF being they are familiar with Parra from his days in the division. I really don't see Gomez or Lucroy going anywhere, but hope to be surprised.

It's too bad Seattle is underachieving...I think we might have been able to swing a trade there for Taijuan Walker or Paxton.

I'm not sure exactly how much competition will improve Parra's value. I'd have to say that a large part of his appeal is the chance to get an upgrade for these teams without the blockbuster prospect cost. It does seem to make it more likely that he is dealt and for maybe even more than we paid.

Jay Bruce's salary is double Parra's and has another guaranteed year; if a team doesn't want to take on much salary that's a deterrent. But if salary isn't an issue, he has another year guaranteed and a team option for 2017 at $13M. It's a very reasonable salary for his production, no reason to believe a team won't pick up the option year. Low risk acquisition and the acquiring team would be eligible for a comp pick, so a team would likely have to give up more to get Bruce than Parra.

Ben Revere isn't as good offensively and has a terrible arm. Markakis has 3/$33M left on his contract; great OBP and good defense, but his power has disappeared. Will Venable's offense might be suppressed a bit by Petco Field; he might be the biggest threat - he's a better CF, but Parra has a better bat and arm. Justin Upton is making $14.5M, and SD isn't eligible for a comp pick if he leaves. Shane Victorino is making twice as much and is washed up.

I'm not sure about Baltimore...they seem to subscribe to the "has platoon bat, will play field" theory. They've grabbed a bunch of solid sticks that they just plug in the easy corner OFs (Parmalee, move Davis to OF, Pearce at 2B, Snider, etc)...they seem to have a plethora of decent-hitting players that they find to platoon all over the field..and they have depth or will be creative to find it.

Their worst enemy is Buck Showalter getting obsessed with the hot hand and riding Delmon Young and Jimmy Paredes (admittedly, he's held on OK) into the ground. Even De Aza, who is a decent LH platoon piece didn't fit into their plans. They seem to have a lot of these guys on the scrap heap.

How about Parra to the Cubs for Dan Vogelbach? Vogelbach is obviously blocked in Chicago by Rizzo and he would give Brewers that young lefty swinging 1B prospect they lack. I wouldn't put him in the premier prospect category but with his patience at the plate and some pop, he's projectable to be a major league caliber 1B in the not too distant future likely 2017. Parra would be a significant uprgrade for Cubs over combo of Coghlan and Fowler in LF and CF and though he could sting them with all the games remaining this year between Cubs and Brewers, he wouldn't be of any help them in future seasons, unless they signed him to a long term deal which would at least tie up some of their money. Maybe throw in a low level sweetener or pick up most of Broxton's salary and include him and take Coghlan back in the deal as a stopgap 4th OF. He's controllable through 2016.

How about Parra to the Cubs for Dan Vogelbach? Vogelbach is obviously blocked in Chicago by Rizzo and he would give Brewers that young lefty swinging 1B prospect they lack. I wouldn't put him in the premier prospect category but with his patience at the plate and some pop, he's projectable to be a major league caliber 1B in the not too distant future likely 2017. Parra would be a significant uprgrade for Cubs over combo of Coghlan and Fowler in LF and CF and though he could sting them with all the games remaining this year between Cubs and Brewers, he wouldn't be of any help them in future seasons, unless they signed him to a long term deal which would at least tie up some of their money. Maybe throw in a low level sweetener or pick up most of Broxton's salary and include him and take Coghlan back in the deal as a stopgap 4th OF. He's controllable through 2016.

I love this idea. Parra doesn't necessarily give the Cubs anything long term and Vogelbach should be ready with the rest of that wave of prospects we have. Maybe we can even get a BP arm thrown in if there is a bidding war.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

I love this idea. Parra doesn't necessarily give the Cubs anything long term and Vogelbach should be ready with the rest of that wave of prospects we have. Maybe we can even get a BP arm thrown in if there is a bidding war.

Makes sense for the Brewers, but why would the cubs want to have to face him for the next 7 years? That is why intradivision trade are so rare.

Community Moderator

I think I am starting to develop unrealistic expectations of the Parra market, but this isn't helping... LINK

The Mets, as first reported by Newsday, also made an aggressive bid for the Brewers’ Gerardo Parra on Thursday night before calling up outfielder Michael Conforto from Double-A.

While the Mets offered a pitching prospect that the Brewers had asked about previously, the interest in Parra is now to the point where the Brewers believe they can do even better.

Parra, a potential free agent, has batted .344 since April 25 and ranks eighth in the NL in slugging, ahead of Anthony Rizzo, Buster Posey and Andrew McCutchen.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sandy A: Doug, we are willing to trade Prospect X for Gerrado Parra.

Doug: You should have took the deal last week. I've got stronger offers now. If you were to include Player Y, then we could have a deal.

Sandy A. (whispers to Ast. GM): For that player, we might be able to get Upton. I am going to stall with the Brewers and see if we can get Upton before making a trade with Brewers.

Sandy A: We'll think about it Doug, will you give us a call if you are getting close to deal somewhere else?

Doug: Maybe.

This is what I think is happening right now with the Brewers, Padres, and Mets.

Community Moderator

According to Rosenthal the Gomez trade market is starting to take shape.

LINK

The Rangers and Indians are among the clubs that have reached out to the Brewers about Gomez, according to major-league sources.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Just don't feel Gomez gets traded. Parra of course should be traded. His landing spot? Royals. Alex Gordon is hurt for 8weeks. Alex Rios is below .700 OPS. They acquired Cueto, Parra gives them the bat they need to back up the trade. KC doesn't have the cream any more of prospects, but why not get Bubba Starling and Cheslor Cuthbert? Maybe hit it big or just below avg types.

Most rival execs expect Gomez to be the biggest name traded at the deadline and as said above his market is taking shape. If contenders and non contenders are looking at him I think it is likely he is traded. He is going to draw a lot of interest and the Brewers don't expect to sign him long term.

The rumors have been quiet, but I personally think he will be traded.

They did say that 13 different teams were present last Thursday in Arizona, coinciding with Fiers last start, and they showed a Royals scout on TV.

If 13 different teams have scouts in attendance, that means folks are getting moved and teams will be bidding up for players.

Just saw a report where Brewers may not move Gomez because he is cheap and controllable...I guess one more non contending year is considered controllable. Either smoke and mirrors or this managment team is considering a very stupid non move.

Just saw a report where Brewers may not move Gomez because he is cheap and controllable...I guess one more non contending year is considered controllable. Either smoke and mirrors or this managment team is considering a very stupid non move.

They might also feel they will get more in value during the winter meetings than right now. He won't finish out his contract with the Brewers but he may not be moved by July 31st.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers won't move Gomez. Why would they? A couple of fair weather fans might get upset and not buy a Brewers shirt from Kohls department store. We need as many wins as possible to fool people into thinking we are a decent team. It's the Brewers way.

They might also feel they will get more in value during the winter meetings than right now. He won't finish out his contract with the Brewers but he may not be moved by July 31st.

According to the report(take a grain of salt if you wish) they are simply hesitant to trade him no matter what the return is. Just because of his contract and the fact he is in his prime. Possibly they are overvaluing him right now.

There really is no reason for Carlos Gomez to be here past July 31st. The interest is there and I am sure teams are offering good packages. His value can not get any higher and the Brewers have little to no chance to compete next year. Like I said I have to assume they are going to be offered fair value this week as everything seems to point to that. Contenders are all over him, non contenders are knocking on the door, he is the biggest name hitter on the market, plays a premium position well...I mean now is the time to trade him. I think it is all a game, but I guess we wont know till he is traded or when the clock hits zero on Friday.

I think we all know the market for Gomez, while strong, can improve from its present state in terms of how the Brewers might net an even better return:

- His health could be better instead of battling the hamstring & hip.

- He could be hitting closer the top of his game (meaning his norm over the past few seasons, esp. in terms of BA but also XBH & RBIs).

- He could be stealing bases with his more typical frequency & success rates.

- He could be doing better than having already made 7 errors with the season only about 5/8 of the way done.

Odds are at some point at least some of those things will be better than they are right now, and if so, his market value's even better. Then again, nothing's guaranteed.

. . . much, much worse (which I acknowledged in the last sentence of my post) OR possibly better (which I elaborated on). Obviously you want to see him moved. Since he's not a pending FA, I'm eager to know the proposed return from all teams pursuing him before passing judgement on how necessary it is to move him by Friday. A Gomez trade by Friday would surely be exciting. Hopefully the sum of the deal would be right.

Ultimately we need to move him when the combination of timing and return are the most optimal. . . . Quite possibly the front office has a better sense of when that is than we fans do. Hey, I love trades as much as anybody. But in the end I want whatever trades the Brewers make to be the best possible, and I'd rather they make no trade at all if the alternative is a shoddy return.

Archived