Brewer Fanatic

Arizona 5

This may put me in "geek" status, but I go through the box scores and posts every day for each affiliate. I have done this for years, thanks to this excellent resource.

In all the years of doing this, this is the first year I automatically go to the AZ Brewers first. In the past, there was always a different league that got my attention, or maybe day to day it depended on who the SP was, etc. Not this year, I go straight to the AZ Brewers box.

We are still dealing with small sample size, but not so small that the numbers are meaningless. Lara, Clark, Perry, Segovia, and Orimoloye all look very impressive. Every player develops differently, but compare what these guys are doing to Gatewood and Harrison last year. Can't wait to see these guys in Appleton.

I don't think you're a geek until you're checking the DSL box score every evening to see if Ignacio Otano is finally playing again. Free Yerison Pena!

But yeah, I really look forward to seeing what these guys do every night. Guessing that Lara and Clark will be pushed along faster than the other three, but hopefully they do all end up on the same team down the road again. At the very least, looks like we'll see an Wisconsin outfield of Stokes-Harrison-Clark next year, and maybe even Gatewood and Lara playing side by side on the left of the infield.

Part of my 'Geekdom' is that our DSL team has some REALLY good hitters compared to years past and they are all realllllllly young, so when the 22 year old retreads we signed are playing ahead of them it ruins my night.... ruins my night

Yeah is always my first check then Biloxi, then Helena, BC & TRats I will check for sure, DSL usually....Colorado...not so much. Amazing and exciting group!

Perry is one who may push Denson out of the way next season. He is an impressive ball player (physically, could benefit from brewer trainers and dietitians) thing is that this is age 19 season already, will be 20 to start next season. He has a very professional approach at the plate. Denson could always walk and has power but has yet to hit at any level or stay healthy.

Next year very well could look like

1B Tyrone Perry

2B iskenderian/Cuas

SS Gilbert Lara

3B Jake Gatewood

LF Troy Stokes

CF Monte Harrison

RF Trent Clark

DH Denson or Belonis

Few of the pitching options Diplan, Burkhalter (maybe repeats until all clicks) Nash Walters, Miguel Diaz, Jordan Yamaoto, Milton Gomez, David Lucroy, Drossner

Not too bad, maybe most exciting wave since Huntsville Stars with Prince Rickie Hardy Hart Gwynn Jr

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Not too bad, maybe most exciting wave since Huntsville Stars with Prince Rickie Hardy Hart Gwynn Jr

Exactly, that's how I look at it. For years now there's one or two players (at best) at each level to get truly excited about. Now we have this wave at the Rookie/DSL level, and there's even a couple more guys tearing it up we haven't even mentioned.

Now add some more young talent via a few trades (and another draft) and next year the Brewers could have the best talent at the A level and below in all of baseball. I know to most fans that's not exciting, but this is what I've been wanting for a couple years now. A true wave of high ceiling talent coming up together.

Finally, as a side note, I'm wondering how Lara is doing at SS. All I know is I don't ever seem to see an "E" after his name in the box scores, but obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot.

I would guess that they would keep Lara and Gatewood at different levels until they're ready to definitively move one or the other off of SS...I believe scouts have questioned whether either guy is a shortstop long term but early returns don't seem too bad. I guess they did have Rivera and Arcia together for a a while this year but that was short-lived. Similarly, with Clark I think it is hoped he will be a CF, whereas Harrison might be suited for right, but has been playing CF...they might both be ticketed for Beloit but maybe Clark leapfrogs Harrison?

Very cool, to be sure; Stokes is the most pleasant surprise this year for me, followed closely by Perry.

Lara's bat won't let him not be in that wave with that group. If anything, the rotate between SS/3B. I also think they will do best to let these guys develop as a true wave. Wisconsin all season, BC all season, Biloxi success will dictate if the play full year there or move up.

*above is not accounting for a player who goes on prolonged tear. If Lara is hitting .400 with 1.250 OPS by end of June next year.... Well,

then challenge him. All their ETA's would still be 21-24.

Right. It's way too early to worry about which one (or either) sticks at SS. Important thing is to keep these players at the level the bat dictates. If Arcia is the real deal, then both of them will need to find different positions anyhow eventually.

The thing that has me the most excited about these small sample sizes is the lack of strikeouts. If I remember right a lot of the newer guys have not struck out too much.

This current system as it stands could be really really good if some of these guys could start attaching production to potential.

I only live 30 minutes from Appleton and will ABSOLTELY be at a bunch of games next year. This years team hasn't really pushed my attendance...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I only live 30 minutes from Appleton and will ABSOLTELY be at a bunch of games next year. This years team hasn't really pushed my attendance...

Going to be really interesting what they end up doing. That team to start the year could likely have a boatload of prospects if they skip extended spring training for some guys plus guys who will move on from rookie ball all together.

I might make my summer trips to Appleton a couple times instead of one single trip to Milwaukee(live up by Eau Claire in the summer). Would be great to interact with the young prospects etc.

Is Neuhaus the odd man out?

Neuhaus has been pushed over to 2b a bunch this season and I could see that trend continuing. That gives him more hope.

Of course, I talk about Perry jumping Denson....then Denson decides to just go off since then! They have thrown him out in LF as well

I would guess that they would keep Lara and Gatewood at different levels until they're ready to definitively move one or the other off of SS...I believe scouts have questioned whether either guy is a shortstop long term but early returns don't seem too bad. I guess they did have Rivera and Arcia together for a a while this year but that was short-lived. Similarly, with Clark I think it is hoped he will be a CF, whereas Harrison might be suited for right, but has been playing CF...they might both be ticketed for Beloit but maybe Clark leapfrogs Harrison?

Very cool, to be sure; Stokes is the most pleasant surprise this year for me, followed closely by Perry.

Beloit?

;)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Beloit?

;)

He's getting traded to the Twins obviously.

Beloit?

;)

Obviously, since Beloit is an affiliate of the A's.

...they might both be ticketed for Beloit but maybe Clark leapfrogs Harrison?

Beloit?

Awesome. Modern day Who's on First?

Milwaukee affiliate: 1982-2004

Minnesota affiliate: 2005-2012

Oakland affiliate: 2013 - present

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

...they might both be ticketed for Beloit but maybe Clark leapfrogs Harrison?

Beloit?

Awesome. Modern day Who's on First?

Milwaukee affiliate: 1982-2004

Minnesota affiliate: 2005-2012

Oakland affiliate: 2013 - present

Darn. I was going to check before I posted that but I though the Twins just moved to Beloit. Can't believe that was 10 years ago!

On the subject of Tyrone Perry, whom I like as much as anyone does . . . inevitably we're going to be comparing Perry and David Denson. I think Denson may be getting the short end of that comparison right now, because he's been scuffling around the organization for a couple of years and Perry has hit right out of the gate. Denson, though, is only nine months older than Perry, and he's fifth in the Pioneer League in OPS. (Small sample, of course, but you have to start somewhere). Watching these two guys develop is going to be a lot of fun.

Archived