Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee-Boston-Colorado 3 teamer

Boston gets: Lucroy and Lind

Colorado gets: LHP Henry Owens

Milwaukee gets: 3B Ryan McMahon, RHP Ryan Castellani, 3B/1B Rafael Devers, and LHP Trey Ball

Boston upgrades their two weakest positions for not only this year, but next as well. Lucroy can mentor Swinhart while splitting time at C and 1B with Lind. Not to mention framing the heck out of Porcello, Bucholz, Rodriguez, and Miley.

Colorado gets some major league ready pitching it’s been looking for by dealing from a position of strength.

Milwaukee gets two highly talented 3Bs at A+ and A (although Devers may end up at 1B) and 2 young A ball pitchers that were drafted in the 1st round in 2013 (Ball) and 2nd round in 2014 (Castellani). If Milwaukee can get some key pieces in other trades (for example: Norris/Pentecost in the TOR thread and/or Barnes in the LAD thread), then this makes even more sense for them IMO.

Boston really has no use for Lind. They've actually been playing Ortiz at first because Hanley has been so brutal in the OF he's being DH'd.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but was there some sort of blurb about this? Ramirez has DH'd 7 times this year with monthly breakdowns of 1-3-2-1 (to date). There are many reasons that he would occassionally DH and while he definitely seems to be poor defensively in his first year in the OF, I haven't seen anything that would suggest him DH'ing is the trend to expect moving forward.

If that is indeed the case, I would agree that including Lind would make less sense depending on their game plan next year.

Fantasy deal for wonks who get more satisfaction out of their team having a highly rated system than they do out of watching major league baseball. Will never happen.

They can get a player of the quality of any one of those guys in the draft by holding on to Lind through 2016 and extending him a QO. Lucroy won't be traded before the winter of 2016 and he won't be dealt for Class A prospects who are rated around 100. Lucroy will bring a premier (top 25) prospect and/or major league controllable talent. In the meantime Brewer fans won't have to suffer watching the 2012-2013 Cubs in 2016-2017.

Boston really has no use for Lind. They've actually been playing Ortiz at first because Hanley has been so brutal in the OF he's being DH'd.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but was there some sort of blurb about this? Ramirez has DH'd 7 times this year with monthly breakdowns of 1-3-2-1 (to date). There are many reasons that he would occassionally DH and while he definitely seems to be poor defensively in his first year in the OF, I haven't seen anything that would suggest him DH'ing is the trend to expect moving forward.

If that is indeed the case, I would agree that including Lind would make less sense depending on their game plan next year.

The vise is getting tighter around Mike Napoli's job security. On Sunday, David Ortiz played first base in an American League park for the first time in nine seasons. On Tuesday, John Farrell sounded far more open to the idea of making that a regular occurrence than he did two days earlier. And Dustin Pedroia could be back in the lineup as soon as Friday, rendering All-Star Brock Holt without a set position once again.

The time is nigh for Napoli to produce — once he gets back in the lineup that is.

Napoli was out of the lineup again on Tuesday, replaced by Travis Shaw. It sounds as if Farrell will start Ortiz at first again on Wednesday — the manager said he had given it "a lot of thought" after it worked so well against Houston — which would give Napoli five consecutive days off heading into the final series of the first half against the Yankees.

I re-read the other article and it was more writer speculation than anything about DHing Hanley because he's a terrible OF but it does give them their best defensive lineup. Either way, they have 3 1B with Ortiz, Napoli, and Travis Shaw.

What do you all see as the % that Lucroy gets dealt? Over 50%? Over 75%?

This season about a 10% chance of him being traded. In the off season it is about a 25% chance as a team is going to have to blow the Brewers away with an offer to get Lucroy.

Assuming Lucroy gets traded, and it seems more and more likely, it will be for a top 10 prospect ++

I don't think it is anymore likely than it was when they flopped mid April. Has been a steadily 10% since than I would say.

Carlos Gomez on the other hand looks likely to be trade before July 31st. From everything I have seen the speculation is that Gomez is the best player they end up trading.

Fantasy deal for wonks who get more satisfaction out of their team having a highly rated system than they do out of watching major league baseball. Will never happen. ... In the meantime Brewer fans won't have to suffer watching the 2012-2013 Cubs in 2016-2017.

In 2012, the Cubs' winning percentage was .403, in 2013 it was .439. The Brewers' current winning percentage is .422. The big difference was that Cubs were on an upward tack, while the Brewers are not. This isn't "major league baseball" that Brewer fans are viewing, and holding on to Lucroy won't make it "major league baseball" next year either.

The options with Lucroy are either:

1) Trade him soon, when he should have the most value

2) Trade him in the future, but prior to free agency, when he will have diminished value

3) Let him walk in free agency, getting little in return

4) Extend him to a big money, multi-year deal into his mid-to-late 30's

Since the odds of the Brewers being a playoff team next year are slim, and I really hate the idea of extending him well into his 30's, I would like for the team to get the most value from Lucroy, which should come from trading him while the receiving team still gets a lot of time on his current team-friendly contract.

That sets up the next question. If the Brewers finally realize that trading valuable current assets is necessary to acquire valuable future assets, do they listen to the "wonks" and go for the greatest amount of talent, regardless of age or "provenness," or do they try to sell tickets by taking less talent, but making sure the players they get in return will step right in at the MLB level. If they are going to do the latter, then they may as well hold on to Lucroy until he walks as a free agent.

What do you all see as the % that Lucroy gets dealt? Over 50%? Over 75%?

This season 0%. I think the odds are greater that Lucroy gets extended than traded.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Assuming Lucroy gets traded, and it seems more and more likely, it will be for a top 10 prospect ++

I don't think it is anymore likely than it was when they flopped mid April. Has been a steadily 10% since than I would say.

Carlos Gomez on the other hand looks likely to be trade before July 31st. From everything I have seen the speculation is that Gomez is the best player they end up trading.

I have no idea of the percentage either. I am thinking the Brewers understand completely that giving a long term 9 digit extension to a catcher is bad business. Throw in Luc's candid comments recently, and I would think the Brewers would move him with the right offer. Not a fire sale of course, but a great offer, yes.

I would also suggest that unless completely blown away right now, they will more than likely look at Lucroy to be the last piece moved once they see what they are able to get back from all other pieces and take a realistic look at the competitive timeline as well as areas of need. I would expect it to be during the offseason at earliest if he is moved.

Archived