Brewer Fanatic

Trade with Twins on the Horizon?

The 2 guys everyone are going to want is Buxton and Sano, I don't think either are realistic.

The Twins don't really have any potential top of the rotation talent on the horizon, Kohl Stewart is about it but he doesn't strike out anyone, I'm not convinced he'll miss enough bats.

I hate to say it but there are really only 2 guys in their top 10 that I like:

Jose Berrios is probably a 3.

I really liked what I saw from Nick Gordon when he played against the T-Rats. He's a better current defender than our Jake Gatewood, though his swing can get similarly long as does Jake's. He's been on the uptick recently, he had hit in all 3 games against the Rattlers.

As for the rest Nick Burdi is a reliever which doesn't excite me and Meyer, Polanco, May, and Rosario are already up and/or aren't exciting, then Sano and Buxton are untouchable.

I just don't see the talent from MN to pull off a trade unless they wanted to go the Trea Turner route and use a 2015 pick or 2 as PTBNLs? I would be extremely interested in Tyler Jay who I wanted to draft this year and Kyle Cody who hasn't signed.

Bundle either of those 2 guys (or both) with Berrios and Gordon and I'd be happy. I know we don't "need" another SS, but you can never have too many SS, and if they all pan out we'd have plenty of trade ammunition to go after a position of greater need.

If we're talking current top 10 players then we're going to need a 3rd team to make it work.

Outside of the top 10 I find both Alexis Tapia and Stephen Gonsalves intriguing. BA doesn't like Gonsalves as much as I do but he pitched twice against the T-Rats and was impressive both times. I'm also intrigued by Randy Rosario.

BA is kicking out their midseason top 10 lists here to deal with graduations but they started with the NL West.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Crew, do you really think we could get Berrios, Gordon, and Jay for Gomez/Cotts? I would be ecstatic for that.

Side note, why do you see Berrios only profiling as a 3? He limits his walks, strikes out a fair amount of guys, and doesn't give up many HR. And he's only 21 and in AA/AAA.

I'm also not a big Nick Gordon, although I would take him to see if we could potentially trade him for another piece. Maybe you are right and we need to get a third team involved. Giants? Mets?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Well the whole draft pick as PTBNL thing has only been done once as far as I know, and last year to boot, so I doubt it. However for Gomez + I would want 2 lower level arms that have #2 upside, a middling prospect who profiles like a #3, and a position player with upside. I just picked the players whom I like or could live with and fit those profiles. Cody is a player I don't particularly like, but I could live with as I think he'd be a hit in a trade with the fans.

As to Berrios as a 3? Well he has 2nd tier velocity (which is good), he sits 92-94. However he's never really had an out pitch, he started using a change last year in that capacity but his breaking ball was VERY average when I saw him. If his off speed stuff improves he could be a #2, if stays where it's at he's a #4, I took the middle ground at a #3. I saw him in 2013 and wished the Brewers had him, but he wasn't a guy who'd you fall in love with because he was filthy. He's kind of the reverse version of Medeiros whom you see the filth and hope he learns how to control it, Berrios is a guy you look at and hope he develops some filth. I've just grown weary of the mid to upper 80s control type pitchers the Brewers have been bringing in to round out the T-Rat staff, so it's easy for me to be jealous.

edit. Obviously from the draft discussions I highly covet Jay, so he'd be the 1 guy from the Twins that I really wanted.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I believe I read that they changed the PTNBL rules because of Turner last year. Now you no longer have to wait a full year after they signed to trade them, it is just until the day after the World Series ends. So there would still have to be some sort of agreement to get Jay, but it wouldn't be as awkward as having him pitch a half a season for a team knowing he won't be there any more.

As for Berrios, I'll admit I haven't watched him pitch but from what I've read, he sits low-to-mid 90s, has a plus offspeed pitch, and good control. Link to just one report I read, though this says his control is spotty at times.

http://www.baseballoutlook.com/scouting-report-jose-berrios-twins-no-2-prospect/

Edit: I will agree with you, that from your list, Jay is the #1 guy I would want.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Thinking outside the box, what if the Brewers added some prospects in the deal? What if the Brewers added Tyrone Taylor or Devin Williams? Gomez, Cotts, and Taylor/Williams - would that get Buxton or Sano?

Gomez, Cotts, and one of Taylor/Williams for one of Buxton/Sano and Chih-Wei Hu?

Thinking outside the box, what if the Brewers added some prospects in the deal? What if the Brewers added Tyrone Taylor or Devin Williams? Gomez, Cotts, and Taylor/Williams - would that get Buxton or Sano?

Gomez, Cotts, and one of Taylor/Williams for one of Buxton/Sano and Chih-Wei Hu?

If they don't want to trade them I don't think Taylor or Williams will make them consider it anymore.

If you want Gomez traded to the Twins you need to hope Miguel Sano struggles a bit...the way he has looked since they brought him up there is no longer a need for a cleanup hitter. Guy has been everything advertised and more, way better than Buxton's first trip up.

There will be absolutely NO trading of the Buxtons or the Sanos, fans are way too attached to them. Don't even bother wearing your fingers out typing proposed trades including them.

^^ This.

Suggesting the Twins might be willing to trade either of them would be like suggesting the Brewers might trade Weeks, Fielder, & Braun when they were all on the cusp of the bigs. Ain't happenin'. These are the guys the Twins' franchise has been banking on as their stud core since they got 'em. Both missed most of last year with injuries, but they're total studs and not going anywhere for (probably) a very long time.

Berrios is one of the Twins' top pitching prospects, and they're not exactly plush with high-end guys on the diamond, so I'd think he'd be about as close to untouchable as they come in terms of Twins' pitching prospects.

If you want Gomez traded to the Twins you need to hope Miguel Sano struggles a bit...the way he has looked since they brought him up there is no longer a need for a cleanup hitter. Guy has been everything advertised and more, way better than Buxton's first trip up.

There will be absolutely NO trading of the Buxtons or the Sanos, fans are way too attached to them. Don't even bother wearing your fingers out typing proposed trades including them.

Everyone is trade-able if the price is high enough. We could probably get Sano for Gomez & Lucroy

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Everyone is trade-able if the price is high enough. We could probably get Sano for Gomez & Lucroy

Right, but at that point it is heavily in the Twins favor. It would have to be that lopsided to consider moving such a prospect.

I really don't think that even tips the scale. Unless you live over here you likely don't understand the connection between Buxton/Sano and the fans. Management has sold the fans for years that these two are the second coming, to trade them after fans FINALLY get a sniff of them is idiotic & could cause a revolt.

They like Fryer and Pinto anyway, and just paid Suzuki too much money. No need for Lucroy or Gomez because the Pohlads would never pay to retain them.

It will never happen, but I think the Twins might be smart to deal Buxton right now.

He has more of a Cameron Maybin feel (might work out years down the road) than a McCutchen feel to me. Have thought that as he's gone up the ranks. Trade him while his stock is still astronomically high for the top trade piece on the market.

Of course, you could be wrong and make your entire fanbase very angry.

It will never happen, but I think the Twins might be smart to deal Buxton right now.

He has more of a Cameron Maybin feel (might work out years down the road) than a McCutchen feel to me. Have thought that as he's gone up the ranks. Trade him while his stock is still astronomically high for the top trade piece on the market.

Of course, you could be wrong and make your entire fanbase very angry.

I was never a fan of Buxton from the day he was drafted. I don't know why, just gut feeling.

I revise my previous statement to NO chance in hell from absolutely no trading Sano. He is going to be a perennial allstar and maybe soon.

Archived