Brewer Fanatic

Vote for your favorites in the 2015 BF.net Mid-Season Top 25 Prospect Listing

I don't think too much of Gatewood either

Just curious what this opinion?

I'd be curious why he and some others are ranking Harrison high, but Gatewood low. I though most were ranking them together or close to it last ranking.

I think Harrison has a higher ceiling, but Gatewood has at least had some production

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think that Monte has a higher ceiling and a better chance to reach his ceiling than Jake. There has been a lot of talk about how Jake has a long swing, he may get to big to stay at short and he hasn't had a ton of success last season or this season (although he has been heating up over the last month plus). Monte is raw but hasn't been dedicated entirely to baseball while Jake has been a baseball machine for quite sometime. Monte did have a successful season last year in short season ball. I like them both, I just like Monte more. Just my opinion.

(Let me preface this by saying that I hope I am wrong, but it has been my experience that not everyone on the top 25 makes it to MLB) For me, it's the swing and miss holes...it's the height and long swing. Everything I read reminds me of a poor mans Sexson. I think he will come and go in success at different levels, but always have holes in his swing. If I would have to bet on it, then I would be more apt to place my $$$ on the TClarks, MHarrisons, and to a lesser degree of popularity, the BDiaz, TPerry, and JRogers of the world. I read a lot but have seen little. Hey, I hope I am wrong, but since I don't think everyone makes it--I'll lower my rating of him...and I think VRoache is a just not going to make it...my take.

1. O. Arcia

2. M. Reed

3. T. Jungmann

4. J. Lopez

5. K. Medeiros

6. G. Lara

7. T. Wagner

8. T. Taylor

9. C. Coulter

10. C. Knebel

11. T. Cravy

12. T. Williams

13. J. Gatewood

14. T. Clark

15. D. Williams

16. M. Diplan

17. H. Johnson

18. N. Kirby

19. V. Roach

20. B. Diaz

21. J. Ortega

22. C. Sneed

23. Y. Rivera

24. N. Ramirez

25. C. Leal

Comments: After filling out the list I can definitely tell that the depth is much better than the past as I left off a number of deserving players (Harrison, Denson, Pierre, Magnifico, Neuhaus, McFarland, Sneed, Wang, Hall and Orimoloye my next 10). Looking forward to guys like Jungmann, Cravy and Knebel graduating so I can add some more guys next time around. There also appears to be a nice mix of high ceiling guys that can break out or bust and also solid major league players which equals a pretty good system. I really think that Arcia/Reed will be at the top of the order for the Brewers for many years to come, possibly starting sometime in 2016. With a number of younger starting pitchers at the big league level from the system (Nelson, Peralta, Jungmann and Cravy), potential solid starters like Wagner/Lopez and higher ceiling guys like Medeiros/Williams it gives me hope they can avoid Garza/Lohse signing in the future. Would like to see Leal moved up as he is a little old for his age. Wouldn't mind if Ramirez got a shot as the starting first baseman next year if they go with a rebuild and get rid of Lind.

1. Orlando Arcia, SS

2. Kodi Medeiros, LHP

3. Clint Coulter, OF

4. Gilbert Lara, SS

5. Trent Clark, OF

6. Michael Reed, OF

7. Victor Roache, OF

8. Tyler Wagner, RHP

9. Devin Williams, RHP

10. Jorge Ortega, RHP

11. Yadiel Rivera, SS

12. Taylor Jungmann, RHP

13. Tyler Cravy, RHP

14. Jorge Lopez, RHP

15. Marcos Diplan, RHP

16. Nick Ramirez, 1B

17. Tyrone Taylor, OF

18. Cy Sneed, RHP

19. David Goforth, RHP

20. Cory Knebel, RHP

21. Brandon Diaz, OF

22. Dustin DeMuth, 3B

23. Tucker Neuhaus, SS

24. Jake Gatewood, SS

25. Wei-Chung Wang, LHP

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
(Let me preface this by saying that I hope I am wrong, but it has been my experience that not everyone on the top 25 makes it to MLB) For me, it's the swing and miss holes...it's the height and long swing. Everything I read reminds me of a poor mans Sexson. I think he will come and go in success at different levels, but always have holes in his swing. If I would have to bet on it, then I would be more apt to place my $$$ on the TClarks, MHarrisons, and to a lesser degree of popularity, the BDiaz, TPerry, and JRogers of the world. I read a lot but have seen little. Hey, I hope I am wrong, but since I don't think everyone makes it--I'll lower my rating of him...and I think VRoache is a just not going to make it...my take.

Thanks for clarifying. Yours was the first dissenting opinion that I've seen on Gatewood, so I was curious what drove it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Thanks for clarifying. Yours was the first dissenting opinion that I've seen on Gatewood, so I was curious what drove it.

Prior to the draft last year, a lot of scouts were wary of Gatewood because of his long swing. They knew he was going to strike out a lot. But he has power. I think he rated the top high school power bat. Still, a lot of people saw 'bust' on him, even if the power was really tantalizing.

I don't think Gatewood's performance has changed many minds. I look at Joey Gallo, who had some issues similar to Gatewood's coming out of HS. Gallo fell to the 39th pick (very similar to Gatewood who was picked 41st) because contact issues (again, similar to Gatewood).

Gallo came into pro ball and has crushed. The strikeouts are there, but he's certainly made himself a top prospect. Gatewood has struggled, but in his defense, I think Gallo was a little more mature physically than Jake.

Gallo aside, the strikeout rates ebmackenzie notes are really worrisome. He's got a 37% strikeout rate thus far - plus low walk rates. That's just unsustainable. Again, as ebmackenzie notes, I'd bet Gatewood has more of a chance of failing than succeeding. You hope you are wrong, but that's my honest assessment at this time.

Still, it's hard to ignore the talent. And the guy is only 19. I'm not giving up on a guy like Gatewood. I'm not even betting against him. There's so many variables in a player's development (mental and physical) - we just can't see that yet.

1. O.Arcia

2. J. Lopez

3. T. Youngman

4. G. Lara

5. M. Reed

6. K. Medeiros

7. T. Taylor

8. C. Coulter

9. N. Kirby

10. T. Clark

11. T. Wagner

12. M. Harrison

13. J. Gatewood

14. D. Williams

15. C. Knebel

16. V. Roache

17. T. Cravy

18. Y. Riveria

19. M. Diplan

20. J. Ortega

21. C. McFarland

22. D. Magnifico

23. T. Williams

24. C. Leal

25. C. Ponce

next group:

Sneed

Johnson

Diaz

Ramirez

Walters

1. Orlando Arcia, SS

2. Kodi Medeiros, LHP

3. Clint Coulter, OF

4. Devin Williams, RHP

5. Monte Harrison, OF

6. Gilbert Lara, SS

7. Trent Clark, OF

8. Jorge Lopez, RHP

9. Taylor Jungmann, RHP

10. Tyrone Taylor, OF

11. Michael Reed, OF

12. Tyler Wagner, RHP

13. Victor Roache, OF

14. Marcos Diplan, RHP

15. Cody Ponce, RHP

16. Tyler Cravy, RHP

17. Demi Orimoloye, OF

18. Taylor Williams, RHP

19. Nathan Kirby, LHP

20. Corey Knebel, RHP

21. Jake Gatewood, SS

22. Chris McFarland, 2B

23. David Denson, 1B

24. Troy Stokes, OF

25. Hobbs Johnson, LHP

26. Jorge Ortega, RHP (if Kirby doesn't sign)

1. Orlando Arcia, SS

2. Kodi Medeiros, LHP

3. Clint Coulter, OF

4. Gilbert Lara, SS

5. Trent Clark, OF

6. Michael Reed, OF

7. Victor Roache, OF

8. Tyler Wagner, RHP

9. Devin Williams, RHP

10. Jorge Ortega, RHP

11. Yadiel Rivera, SS

12. Taylor Jungmann, RHP

13. Tyler Cravy, RHP

14. Jorge Lopez, RHP

15. Marcos Diplan, RHP

16. Nick Ramirez, 1B

17. Tyrone Taylor, OF

18. Cy Sneed, RHP

19. David Goforth, RHP

20. Cory Knebel, RHP

21. Brandon Diaz, OF

22. Dustin DeMuth, 3B

23. Tucker Neuhaus, SS

24. Jake Gatewood, SS

25. Wei-Chung Wang, LHP

Did you intentionally leave Harrison off your list?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I left him off as well. While some rate him rather high because of his upside I rate him rather low because of his bust potential and don't really think he will reach his potential as a baseball player. Just my opinion but wouldn't be surprised at all if he went back to football.

1 Orlando Arcia

2 Gilbert Lara

3 Kodi Medeiros

4 Trenton Clark

5 Tyrone Taylor

6 Clint Coulter

7 Monte Harrison

8 Jorge Lopez

9 Marcos Diplan

10 Taylor Jungmann

11 Nathan Kirby

12 Devin Williams

13 Michael Reed

14 Victor Roache

15 Cody Ponce

16 Tyler Cravy

17 Taylor Williams

18 Jacob Gatewood

19 Tucker Neuhaus

20 Corey Knebel

21 Demi Orimoloye

22 David Denson

23 Yadiel Rivera

24 Tyler Wagner

25 Nick Ramirez

Apologies to Luis Sardinas (who I still consider a prospect and would be #10), Jorge Ortega, Joantgel Segovia, Cy Sneed, and Damien Magnifico, which would have rounded out my top 30.

1. Orlando Arcia, SS

2. Kodi Medeiros, LHP

3. Clint Coulter, OF

4. Gilbert Lara, SS

5. Trent Clark, OF

6. Michael Reed, OF

7. Victor Roache, OF

8. Tyler Wagner, RHP

9. Devin Williams, RHP

10. Jorge Ortega, RHP

11. Yadiel Rivera, SS

12. Taylor Jungmann, RHP

13. Tyler Cravy, RHP

14. Jorge Lopez, RHP

15. Marcos Diplan, RHP

16. Nick Ramirez, 1B

17. Tyrone Taylor, OF

18. Cy Sneed, RHP

19. David Goforth, RHP

20. Cory Knebel, RHP

21. Brandon Diaz, OF

22. Dustin DeMuth, 3B

23. Tucker Neuhaus, SS

24. Jake Gatewood, SS

25. Wei-Chung Wang, LHP

Did you intentionally leave Harrison off your list?

Yes and no. I mainly based my rankings off of 2015 stats. I checked my preseason list after I made this one and he was on there but I made that list based off of reading scouting reports. If I were to put him on this list he's probably be some in 10-15. Tools are nice but at some point you need to perform.

The fickle thing about these lists is that they are so fluid, since i posted mine, until today, its already different... I had Salas 25 and Ortega 26 because i like Salas's Stuff better and feel like the brewers really found something with him a la tyler wagner but it was REALLY close. Since i posted mine 6 days ago, salas has has a fairly rough start and did not exhibit the control that i liked him for and Ortega had one of his best starts of the season and finally show the ability to K a batter, my biggest knock on him... If i did the list today they would be flip flopped at the least.

But then as i read these lists and see how far down, or not included at all, Harrison is due to his lack of production to match the tools/potential... Well the guy has been on a tear for a week now and raised his average 150 pts, hes hitting .300, and he has been stroking the XBHs hes slugging over .500 and his OPS is just under .900.

On July 2nd, exactly 2 weeks ago, he was hitting .157. When I made my list 6/7 days ago he was hitting .220. and i said this about him: 15. Monte Harrison - this kid is still overflowing with potential, and this is exactly why you draft a guy like him. Even "safe" picks type players have a high probability of busting, but with Harrison, if hes starts to tap into those tools, look out! If he heats up for the stretch run he could be the fastest riser on this list.

Its safe to say he should be on the rise right now, not the decline.

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Trent Clark - watch and enjoy, his falling to Milwaukee was a gift

3. Tyrone Taylor

4. Gilbert Lara

5. Kodi Medeiros

6. Monte Harrison - absolutely a believer

7. Clint Coulter

8. Jake Gatewood

9. Taylor Jungmann - doesn't belong here anymore, congrats young man

10. Devin Williams

11. Victor Roache

12. Michael Reed

13. Tyler Cravy

14. Jorge Lopez

15. Tyler Wagner

16. Marcos Diplan

17. Nathan Kirby

18. Jorge Ortega

19. Cody Ponce

20. Cy Sneed

21. Demi Orimoloye

22. Yadiel Rivera

23. Brandon Diaz

24. David Goforth

25. Tucker Neuhaus

Harrison deniers:

Line with T-Rats: .148/.246/.247/.493 but current Helena line:

.313/.414/.518/.932

When he is at his development level, he rakes. I think it was a good experience for him to struggle at Appleton.

1. Orlando Arcia - Obvious

2. Trent Clark - Stud in the making

3. Clint Coulter - I am a Sickels guy, and he has him as a top 75 overall player

4. Michael Reed - Sickels said he would be ranked in the low 100's...really under-rated

5. Jorge Lopez - another guy brewerfan peeps are sleeping on...getting national buzz

6. Tyrone Taylor - lot of talent still...type of guy that quietly ends up as a quality starter

7. Gilbert Lara - like many, his hype is starting to make me dream big

8. Kodi Medeiros - Has a chance to be special...this may be too low, but red flags are there too

9. Devin Williams - He has done what Brewers have asked with developing other pitches

10. Nathan Kirby - screw it, I am including him...please sign today

11. Monte Harrison - some silly comments on him in this thread; in his last 38 plate appearances, 18 hits, 6 walks and 9 SB's...that is a man breaking loose

12.Victor Roache - I see a Rob Deer type of career for him...not sure how I feel about that

13. Tyler Cravy - Innings are yummy...nom, nom, nom

14. Tyler Wagner - was disappointed in debut, expected big things, now uncertain

15.Jake Gatewood - Uncertain what the future holds for him

16. Marcos Diplan - Please make the Gallardo trade look better Marcos, as it is stinker now

17. Demi Orimoloye - Power tool is potentially Gallo-ish

18. Jorge Ortega - I am fascinated by what he is doing right now as it makes little sense

19. Cy Sneed's milb picture mustache - Sneed can be ranked here too

20. Cody Ponce - Power arm with room to grow other pitches

21. Corey Knebel - Relievers are meh for me

22. Yadiel Rivera - another guy that flies under the radar

23. Tyrone Perry - I think this guy is going to be interesting to follow

24. Tucker Neuhaus - I think patience will be needed with Tuck Tuck Goose

25. Miguel Diaz - I have not forgotten you, Miguel...heal up

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Gilbert Lara

3. Monte Harrison

4. Clint Coulter

5. Trent Clark

6. Taylor Jungmann

7. Tyrone Taylor

8. Nathan Kirby

9. Demi Orimoloye

10. Kodi Medeiros

11. Jorge Lopez

12. Devin Williams

13. Cody Ponce

14. Jake Gatewood

15. Tyler Wagner

16. Tyler Cravy

17. Corey Knebel

18. Michael Reed

19. Jason Rogers

20. Yadiel Rivera

21. Taylor Williams

22. Cy Sneed

23. Jorge Ortega

24. Victor Roache

25. David Denson

1. Orlando Arcia - Obvious

2. Trent Clark - Stud in the making

3. Clint Coulter - I am a Sickels guy, and he has him as a top 75 overall player

4. Michael Reed - Sickels said he would be ranked in the low 100's...really under-rated

5. Jorge Lopez - another guy brewerfan peeps are sleeping on...getting national buzz

6. Tyrone Taylor - lot of talent still...type of guy that quietly ends up as a quality starter

7. Gilbert Lara - like many, his hype is starting to make me dream big

8. Kodi Medeiros - Has a chance to be special...this may be too low, but red flags are there too

9. Devin Williams - He has done what Brewers have asked with developing other pitches

10. Nathan Kirby - screw it, I am including him...please sign today

11. Monte Harrison - some silly comments on him in this thread; in his last 38 plate appearances, 18 hits, 6 walks and 9 SB's...that is a man breaking loose

12.Victor Roache - I see a Rob Deer type of career for him...not sure how I feel about that

13. Tyler Cravy - Innings are yummy...nom, nom, nom

14. Tyler Wagner - was disappointed in debut, expected big things, now uncertain

15.Jake Gatewood - Uncertain what the future holds for him

16. Marcos Diplan - Please make the Gallardo trade look better Marcos, as it is stinker now

17. Demi Orimoloye - Power tool is potentially Gallo-ish

18. Jorge Ortega - I am fascinated by what he is doing right now as it makes little sense

19. Cy Sneed's milb picture mustache - Sneed can be ranked here too

20. Cody Ponce - Power arm with room to grow other pitches

21. Luis Sardinas - Oh boy, that Brewer debut was concerning

22. Yadiel Rivera - another guy that flies under the radar

23. Tyrone Perry - I think this guy is going to be interesting to follow

24. Tucker Neuhaus - I think patience will be needed with Tuck Tuck Goose

25. Miguel Diaz - I have not forgotten you, Miguel...heal up

Like you list! Wanted to caution about putting too much stock into one start by Wagner, also, where's the Taylor williams injury love ;-) . Nice work!!

MrTPlush is right; Sardinas is not eligible...

1. Arcia

2. Jungmann

3. Lara

4. TClark

5. Kodi Medeiros

6. NKirby

7. Coulter

8. Monte Harrison

9. T.Taylor

10. J. Lopez

11. Taylor Williams

12. Devin Williams

13. Demi Orimoloye

14. Knebel

15. Cravy

16. Ponce

17. Jason Rogers

18. Diplan

19. Wagner

20. M. Diaz

21. T. Stokes

22. Ty Perry

23. M. Reed

24. Gatewood

25. B. Diaz

Kirby arrives, Demi moves up...Denson almost made my 2.0 and Sneed falls to 26 with Kirby's arrival.

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Gilbert Lara

3. Tyrone Taylor

4. Clint Coulter

5. Tyler Wagner

6. Kodi Medeiros

7. Devin Williams

8. Trent Clark

9. Monte Harrison

10. Taylor Jungmann

11. Jorge Lopez

12. Michael Reed

13. Taylor Williams

14. Jake Gatewood

15. Nathan Kirby

16. Marcus Diplan

17. Cody Ponce

18. Demi Orimoloye

19. Wei Chung Wang

20. Carlos Leal

21. Joantgel Segovia

22. David Denson

23. Cy Sneed

24. Angel Ventura

25. Miguel Diaz

For years these lists have been incredibly easy but after the last 2 drafts this is actually becoming very difficult to do. I don't have a specific methodology, though I do try to weigh all of the variables and combine level, likely hood of a MLB career, and ceiling into my list. I don't personally value relievers anywhere near as highly as starting pitchers or position players so there just wasn't room on my list for them. Nor do I react to extreme variations in performance as some others may do.

In the interests of full disclosure here are my comments on the players on my list:

1. Orlando Arcia - I couldn't be more pleased with his development, his tools are special and he already has sneaky power

2. Gilbert Lara - The Brewers only signed 1 player last year on the international marke and the early returns suggest it was worth it.

3. Tyrone Taylor - Steady as always, more a singles hitter right now but a good CF.

4. Clint Coulter - My most frustrating prospect because he just won't rake, he's still very inconsistent at the plate, at least he's not being asked to play CF anymore.

5. Tyler Wagner - Love the low BB rate and his slider, low SO rate worries me.

6. Kodi Medeiros - All the movement one could ask for but doesn't throw many quality strikes yet.

7. Devin Williams - More control orientated than Kodi, but not near as filthy, has a decent change.

8. Trent Clark - Very impressive debut thus far, what's not to like?

9. Monte Harrison - Monte has started to relax and let his talent shine through in Helena, I love me some athleticism.

10. Taylor Jungmann - A hot start at MLB hasn't changed my opinion of where Taylor ultimately slots but his debut could not have gone better.

11. Jorge Lopez - He's been making incremental improvements every year, this has by far been his most consistent season. He's got 2nd tier velocity, flashed a plus curve from time to time when I saw him pitch in WI.

12. Michael Reed - Everything you want in an OF except the range for CF or the power for the corners. Right now he's a tweener but his 5 HRs already match last year's total and is encouraging.

13. Taylor Williams - The organization thought he'd pitch this season, so far not at all, too bad really.

14. Jake Gatewood - A better SS than I would have guessed, he's not a natural but makes quick adjustments. Draft day scouting report still holds... tons of natural power and a long swing.

15. Nathan Kirby - Another high draft pick LHP! I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure why he wasn't throwing strikes which concerns me as do the injury issues. However the raw stuff is good enough to be a top of the rotation starter down the road IF he can throw strikes.

16. Marcus Diplan - Incredibly intriguing young arm, I'm really looking forward to him in WI next year.

17. Cody Ponce - Sort of a similar story to Kirby... good stuff, inconsistent control and results.

18. Demi Orimoloye - See Monte Harrison only change out Helena for AZ. I said during the draft he was probably going end up being my favorite pick, and he has.

19. Wei Chung Wang - Haters will hate, he still has #3 upside even though he started the season poorly.

20. Carlos Leal - What a wonderful surprise, solid all the way around offensively and defensively with a plus arm.

21. Joantgel Segovia - All he's done since signing is hit, unfortunately they are all singles so far this season, hopefully he can develop some power.

22. David Denson - I'm going to have to stop tagging breakout players because every time I do it seems to set them back a year or 2. David has made tremendous strides in the field and he wasn't as overmatched as it appeared in WI, he was just patient to a fault which put him down the count far too often.

23. Cy Sneed - Probably a back of the rotation type at MLB... 90+ FB, decent but not outstanding off speed, good control.

24. Angel Ventura - He's actually filthy, though a notch below Medeiros, his delivery just has a million moving parts so he'll lose the strike zone for extended periods at this point in his career.

25. Miguel Diaz - Lame injuries! Hopefully he's back on the mound for 2016.

edit. For Diaz I meant next season, it was late...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived