Brewer Fanatic

Vote for your favorites in the 2015 BF.net Mid-Season Top 25 Prospect Listing

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

We would like to invite everyone to participate in our 2015 Mid-Season BF.net Fan Community Top 25 Prospects voting. Lots of exciting things going on. Please take time and submit on this thread your top 25 brewer prospects. Please feel free to list any resources or news that you feel might affect voting.

Also, please take the time to share your insights on players, especially newcomers and guys coming up in the lower ranks. It helps people who don't follow the minors that well with making their selections.

RULES

1. Submit your Top 25 prospects, in order, by end of day on July 20.

2. You MUST submit 25 prospects. If there are only 10 or 15 or whatever, your list will not be included.

3. Rankings are determined by total points. The top prospect gets 25 points, second prospect gets 24 points, etc.

4. If you submit your list and want to change something, just add the change to the thread. I'll accept changes up to the July 20 deadline.

5. Within a few days after the deadline, we'll publish the new BF.net Community Top 25.

Eligibility questions:

Rookie eligibility is determined by 50 IP or 130+ ABs at the major league level.

- Michael Blazek, Luis Sardinas, Hernan Perez, Hector Gomex and Elian Herrera are not eligible.

- Corey Knebel (12), Tyler Jungmann (7), Tyler Cravy (16), Jason Rogers (18) and David Goforth (25), and Shane Peterson are all in the majors (as of this posting), but still rookie eligible. Jungmann is especially close to graduating from eligibility (almost 40 IP), but he's not there yet - so you can vote for him.

- Wei-Chung Wang is eligible (even though he technically at up his rookie eligibility in the eyes of baseball, he's thrown less than 20 innings at the big league level).

- Competitive Balance pick Nathan Kirby hasn't signed, but we'll make him eligible for our list on the assumption he'll eventually ink a contract.

Player Movement Notes:

- Jed Bradley (19) has moved from Colorado Springs to Biloxi.

- Yadiel Rivera (21) and Kyle Wren (22) moved from Biloxi to Colorado Springs.

- Victor Roache (23) has moved from Brevard County to Biloxi.

- Monte Harrison (4), Jake Gatewood (13) and David Densen moved from Wisconsin to Helena.

- Taylor Williams (8) and Miguel Diaz (26) have been injured all season.

Important notes:

- Please note that we have two Diazs in this organization. If voting for Brandon or Miguel Diaz, please be clear who you are voting for.

- We also have multiple Williams - Devin and Taylor (there might even be another one!). Just make sure you note who you are voting for.

- There are also two Ortegas - Wisconsin pitcher Luis Ortega and Brevard County pitcher Jorge Ortega.

- Please comment if you know other conflicts!

Newcomers to consider:

- 1st Round pick OF Trent Clark

- Competitive Balance pick SP Nathan Kirby (hasn't signed yet)

- 2nd Round pick SP Cody Ponce

- 3rd Round pick SP Nash Walters

- 4th Round pick OF Demi Orimoloye

- 5th Round pick Blake Allemand

Prospect Rankings:

Please note most of the industry prospect rankings were done in the pre-season, so rankings aren't that up-to-date.

MLB: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2015?list=mil

Baseball America: http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2015-milwaukee-brewers-top-10-prospects/

Baseball Prospectus: http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25052

Bleacher Report: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329308-milwaukee-brewers-top-10-prospects-for-2015

Miller Park Prospects: https://millerparkprospects.wordpress.com/2015/02/05/milwaukee-brewers-top-40-prospect-rankings-2/

Minor League Ball (John Sickels): http://www.minorleagueball.com/2015/1/2/7482797/milwaukee-brewers-top-20-prospects-for-2015

BF.net 2015 Preseason Top 25 list - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32447

BF.net August 2014 Top 25 list - viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31859

BF.net May 2014 Top 20 list: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31355

Stats:

Minor league organization hitting and pitching stats (has all Brewer minor league stats on one page): http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/affiliate.cgi?id=MIL&year=2015

If you want to see each of our minor league teams individually, go here and click on the affiliate you want to view: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/affiliate.cgi?id=MIL

Thanks for participating!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone notices anything wrong, or if I'm missing something, in my intro post to this topic, please let me know and I'll update.

If a mod could pin the topic that would be great. A post and redirect from the major league forum would be great as well. We have done that in the past and I think it gets people who might not visit the minor league thread much a chance to participate.

Thanks.

Yep

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Is Wang eligible for this listing?

Yes, he is. Wang is an interesting case in that he's technically not a rookie in the eyes of MLB. But he's only thrown 17 innings. In BF.net eyes, that's makes him still eligible.

Thanks for noting it - I added it to the eligibility area above.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
If a mod could pin the topic that would be great. A post and redirect from the major league forum would be great as well. We have done that in the past and I think it gets people who might not visit the minor league thread much a chance to participate.

Thanks.

Done and done...

1 - Orlando Arcia, SS - Pretty obvious selection

2 - Gilbert Lara, SS - Ok, I'm buying the hype. Small sample size, but he is hot in his first attempt at US ball at 17.

3 - Kodi Medeiros, LHP - Just lots of upside and holding his own at A-ball at 19.

4 - Taylor Jungmann - RHP - Recent MLB success factors in, but he has always had a high floor and a decent chance at a #2-3 SP level. MLB level doesn't rattle him at all.

5 - Clint Coulter, OF - Holding serve nothing more. Doing ok at A+ considering the "heaviness" of the air, but not really impressing either.

6 - Jorge Lopez, RHP - Finally his pitching is catching up with his talent.

7 - Jacob Gatewood, SS - Not as raw as expected.

8 - Monte Harrison, OF - Poor start, but still showing talent.

9 - Tyrone Taylor, CF - Still has potential to come around, but even the upside seems a lot lower than a Carlos Gomez type.

10 - Tyler Cravy, RHP - Sneaky SP that will be an end of rotation starter.

11 - Tyler Wagner, RHP - Dominating MiLB, but I wonder about his FB at the MLB level.

12 - Michael Reed, OF - Showing ability to start at a corner in the MLB. Reminds me of an Aoki type player.

13 - Trent Clark, OF - Surprise draft pick. I'm interested to see someone consistently at 300+ BA.

14 - Devin Williams, RHP - Putting together a nice year, but just doesn't stand out much.

15 - Carlos Leal, RHP C - Surprise find at a position of need.

16 - Victor Roache, OF - Can't give up on power.

17 - Marcos Diplan, RHP - Key to the Gallardo trade being a win for the Brewers.

18 - Taylor Williams, RHP - Injury. :(

19 - Nathan Kirby, LHP - Possibly my favorite draft pick this year. Why won't he sign?

20 - Corey Knebel, RHP - Already succeeding at the MLB level, but is an RP.

21 - Yadiel Rivera, SS - I never thought he would make it this far, but his bat is slowly improving. I wonder about the odds of him turning into an Escobar type SS.

22 - Wei-Chung Wang, LHP - Wake-up call did him well?

23 - Cy Sneed, RHP - Love the mustache!

24 - Kyle Wren, OF - 4th OFer

25 - Cody Ponce, RHP - Potential to move up this list fast.

Just missed:

Chris McFarland, 2B

Jorge Ortega, RHP

Hobbs Johnson, LHP

Austin, Ross, RHP

Edit: Curses! I always get TW (Taylor Williams) and TW (Tyler Wagner) mixed up. Thanks Maas.

Thanks.

Done and done...

gracias, my friend.

Verified Member
Personally, I would recommend that Jungmann be excluded, given that he is 100% going to be ineligible very shortly, and given that his recent MLB success is probably going to skew the vote (it's hard to fit that onto a "prospect" ranking).

Personally, I would recommend that Jungmann be excluded, given that he is 100% going to be ineligible very shortly, and given that his recent MLB success is probably going to skew the vote (it's hard to fit that onto a "prospect" ranking).

I would second this. But I personally will be leaving him of my Top 25 because he will graduate indefinitely very soon. So maybe that will knock him down a bit.

I feel like if we are going to include Wang we should be able to exclude Jungmann.

Are we going to exclude any newcomers from possible trades before July 20? I'd say include them, but then I thought of people making their list and not coming back to update it. It could create a slight mess.

Just leave those newcomers for the pre season list for 2016?

1. Orlando Arcia

-One of the elite prospects at SS. Has the chance to be very good for a long time.

2. Kodi Medeiros

-High potential and he has held his own this year. I like his odds.

3. Tyrone Taylor

-A bit dissapointing so far, but I like him as a future CFer. I am rating him higher not on potential, but for the fact he has a better track record than most.

4. Gilbert Lara

-We heard this kid had a lot of potential and he has responded by hitting the ground running. I love the lack of strikeouts so far. The power will come.

5. Jake Gatewood

-So he has started the year a tad slow, but since being demoted to Helena 11/17 hits have gone for extra bases. It may take time, but I believe he will get there.

6. Trent Clark

-Top 10 prospect in the draft. He is really talented and so many down years across the system allows the top pick to slip in high on my ranking.

7. Clint Coulter

-He has the plate discipline and power to hopefully stick at the corner OF position.

8. Monte Harrison

-Wow is there a gigantic hole in his swing and his confidence has been put into question. Super athletic and has all the potential. May be a while before we see what he really is.

9. Jorge Lopez

-Really like this kid. I think he can be a solid arm

10. Demi Orimoloye

-My favorite pick of the entire draft. One scout said it was like watching Bo Jackson again...need I say more? Big project...but some serious potential here.

11. Devin Williams

12. Jorge Lopez

13. Nathan Kirby

14. Victor Roache

15. Cody Ponce

16. Wei Chung Wang

17. Taylor Jungmann

18. Michael Reed

19. Jorge Ortega

20. Corey Knebel

21. Brandon Diaz

22. Yadiel Rivera

23. Chris McFarland

24. Dustin DeMuth

25. Marcos Diplan

Just Missed:

1. Carlos Leal

2. Cy Sneed

3. Nick Ramirez

4. Damien Magnifico

5. David Goforth

I decided to suck it up and put Jungmann in my rankings to ride the same boat as the rest.

I wanted to jump on the Leal boat, but decided not to. I don't see him as anything much more than a back up with his bat and I honestly know nothing about his defense. Needs to have quality defense to be a back up. Would like to get more of a read on his offense too.

Verified Member

I did not rank Jungmann, Knebel, or Cravy.

1 -- LHP Kodi Medeiros -- I may be mocked for this after Baseball America just called Orlando Arcia a top-10 prospect in baseball, but I am still an unabashed Medeiros fanboy. When he was drafted many raved about his raw stuff, the only question was whether he could harness it in games. I think he is having an unheralded great season as one of the youngest players in the Midwest league, with a 9.3 K/9 and by all accounts a ridiculous ground ball rate. The 4.0 BB/9 is not concerning if you look at the litany of future ace pitches who had similar control issues as teenagers at A-ball.

2 -- SS Orlando Arcia -- I did not realize how highly outside observers evaluated him until I saw him at #8 on the recent Baseball America midseason top-50. Very excited about his potential, but also cognizant that any guy who can play shortstop well and maybe hit is going to be treated as an elite prospect. Still a long ways to go but at least theres a chance Arcia could truly become a star player.

3 -- SS Gilbert Lara -- What used to be pure potential is starting to manifest itself in glowing scouting reports.

4 -- RHP Jorge Lopez -- I'm relying on the buzz around Lopez turning things around this season (and according to some scouts deserving consideration as a top-50 prospect). The stats alone don't marvel me, but I remember all the praise for Lopez's curveball and upside back when he was drafted.

5 -- CF Tyrone Taylor -- He was a top-100 prospect coming into the season, and he's not having a breakout but he hasn't been a disaster either (.715 OPS last season, .656 OPS this season). He's only 21-years-old and was never considered an elite bat. I think he still has a solid chance to be a major league CF.

6 -- CF Monte Harrison -- As anecdotal as it is, I've been very impressed with Harrison's attitude and comments in interviews. I think he has good makeup, which is a big plus when you have the ridiculous physical tools that he does. He will be a project, but his upside is still enormous.

7 -- RHP Devin Williams -- An underrated prospect among Brewer fans because he was a second-round pick perhaps, though at the time some pundits considered him a clear first-round talent when the Brewers took him with their first pick. Fairly young for Wisconsin and having a great season.

8 -- SS Jake Gatewood -- I'm still giving the 2014 draft picks a big leash based on potential. Gatewood has shown glimpses of his potential this season, even though he still hasn't come close to figuring things out.

9 -- OF Clint Coulter -- An .805 OPS this season, perhaps suppressed by an artificially low AVG. Nothing wrong with Coulter, but he drops to #9 in the list because the system is getting better and because, as a corner OF, it's just hard to standout.

10 -- OF Trent Clark -- Drafting the guy with the best hit tool in the high school draft class seems smart to me, because it's easier for a fantastic athlete like Clark to fill out and gain some power than it is for a guy with plus raw power to learn how to hit (see: Roach, Victor). My only concern is that Clark's grip will limit his power potential, and/or that the Brewers will screw him up by making him change something.

11 -- OF Michael Reed

12 -- RHP Marcos Diplan

13 -- LHP Nathan Kirby

14 -- RHP Tyler Wagner

15 -- OF Troy Stokes

16 -- OF Demi Orimoloye

17 -- OF Victor Roache

18 -- RHP Cody Ponce

19 -- RHP Nash Walters

20 -- OF Joantgel Segovia

21 -- OF Brandon Diaz

22 -- 3B Dustin DeMuth

23 -- C Carlos Leal (Ok, I will get on board!)

24 -- RHP Cy Sneed

25 -- LHP Wei-Chung Wang

I like Lopez a lot, but you could make the case that 2-10 could be shuffled in any order. Big gap between Arcia and the others.

1. Arcia

2. J.Lopez

3. Coulter

4. Kodi Medeiros

5. T.Taylor

6. Jake Gatewood

7. Lara

8. T.Wagner

9. D.Williams

10. M.Harrison

11. Knebel

12. M.Reed

13. T.Clark

14. Cravy

15. Diplan

16. Leal

17. Goforth

18. Roache

19. J. Rogers

20. T.Williams

21. Wang

22. N.Kirby

23. C.Ponce

24. N.Walters

25. Wren

Orimoloye, Rivera, B.Hall, B.Diaz just miss.

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Gilbert Lara

3. Kodi Medeiros

4. Clint Coulter

5. Trent Clark

6. Jorge Lopez

7. Jake Gatewood

8. Monte Harrison

9. Taylor Jungmann

10. Tyrone Taylor

11. Devin Williams

12. Michael Reed

13. Marcos Diplan

14. Taylor Williams

15. Nathan Kirby

16. Tyler Cravy

17. Tyler Wagner

18. Cody Ponce

19. Nash Walters

20. Demi Orimoloye

21. Troy Stokes

22. Carlos Leal

23. Cory Knebel

24. Victor Roache

25. Tyrone Perry

I would like to encourage people to not exclude eligible players just because they will graduate off the list in the near future.

We need to set up a criteria for prospect cutoff. It might not be the best criteria, but it's what I've been working with. It would be nice if everyone would work with that same criteria as well.

Just my opinion.

In the future it can be changed, but since we already started submitting lists, I hate to change something mid stream.

I certainly can't stop anyone from voting one way because they don't like a criteria, but I just hope everyone will participate with the same rules in mind.

Are we going to exclude any newcomers from possible trades before July 20? I'd say include them, but then I thought of people making their list and not coming back to update it. It could create a slight mess.

Just leave those newcomers for the pre season list for 2016?

At this point, I'm not sure how I'd deal with any newcomers. Perhaps it won't be an issue, but if we make a big trade, we might have to do something. I guess ogre now we wait and see if it's necessary.

1. SS Orlando Arcia - SS of the future for the Brewers

2. SS/3B Gilbert Lara - Bat looks to provide an impact. Only question is where?

3. RHP Taylor Jungmann - Posting a 2.43 ERA in Milwaukee. The Brewers hit gold here.

4. OF Michael Reed - Speed, OBP, and some doubles power. The 2016 leadoff hitter for the Brewers

5. OF Trent Clark - Looks like a dynamic offensive bat

6. RHP Tyler Cravy - Brief taste of the majors showed promise.

7. OF Clint Coulter - Holding his own at Brevard County

8. RHP Tyler Wagner - Could contend as a bottom of the rotation starter for the Crew in 2016

9. LHP Brent Suter - An even 2.00 ERA at Biloxi tells me the Brewers could have a 31st-round steal on their hands.

10. LHP Kodi Meideros - Showing something in Appleton, but what?

11. OF Monte Harrison - Which Monte Harrison is for real, the promising speedster of 2014, or the one who was overmatched in 2015?

12. SS/2B Blake Allemand - Could be a valuable utility player on the bench.

13. OF Demi Orimoloye - Could be another power bat.

14. OF Victor Roache - The power is there... some OBP is there.

15. RHP Jorge Lopez - If the improvement from 2014 in Brevard County is for real, he could shoot up the list.

16. RHP Cody Ponce - Small sample looks promising.

17. LHP Hobbs Johnson - Allowing only one home run every 24 innings pitched.

18. RHP Corey Knebel - Flashing some closer potential

19. RHP Damien Magnifico - Actually closing at Biloxi and doing well

20. OF Omar Cotto - Small sample size showing some flashes.

21. IF Yerison Pena - Flashing some offense and versatility in the DSL.

22. OF Troy Stokes - Could new-found power and OBP at Helena be for real?

23. IF Yadiel Rivera - While Arcia and Lara have more ceiling, Rivera just raised his batting average by almost 30 points from 2014

24. OF Joantel Segovia - Some OBP and speed still, but the lack of power is worrisome.

25. C Adam Weisenburger - Cannon from behind the plate (53% of would-be base-stealers caught), and good OBP skills. Worth a look behind the plate.

Notes:

* As I feared, catcher is gutted. Weisenburger is the best option now.

* Meideros has proved me wrong in a good way, but I think Brent Suter looks to be better.

* Some of the other prospects I favored didn't make the list now. Some was due to the 2015 picks, but also because some other players look better this year. Tyrone Taylor, Greg McCall, Michael Ratterree, and Taylor Smith-Brennan all dropped off enough.

* Gatewood may or may not earn his way on my list, but right now, he is on the bubble.

1. Orlando Arcia - one of the best SS prospects in all of baseball

2. Jorge Lopez - He's higher on my list than most, in the midst of a breakout season in AA, only 22 years old

3. Michael Reed - He's young, gets on base at a very high clip, solid corner OF defender

4. Clint Coulter - solid power bat, gets on base, can hit for average, just 21

5. Taylor Jungmann - former first round pick, off to a great start in Milwaukee

6. Kodi Medroios - top draft pick from last year, doing fairly well in Appleton

7. Tyler Cravy - late draft pick, rose up through the ranks, solid start to the major league career

8. Tyrone Taylor - only 21 and hanging in there in AA, lots of raw talent, average to below average power CF

9. Gilbert Lara - could shoot up the prospect list in the next few years, loads of potential

10. Wei-Chung Wang - he's got a good fastball, shown some control issues this year, I still think he's a major league starter potential

11. Devin Williams

12. Monte Harrison

13. Jacob Gatewood

14. Corey Knebel

15. Luis Sardinas

16. Kyle Wren

17. Cy Sneed

18. Victor Roache

19. Yadial Rivera

20. Brent Suter

21. Damian Magnifico

22. Nathan Orf

23. Carlos Leal

24. Marcos Diplan

25. Brooks Hall

Community Moderator
Out of curiosity, question for those who are leaving Nathan Kirby off of their lists. Are you doing so because he hasn't signed yet or because you don't believe he belongs on your list?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Clint Coulter

3. Gilbert Lara

4. Kodi Mederios

5. Taylor Jungman

6. Tyrone Taylor

7. Michael Reed

8. Tyler Wagner

9. Jorge Lopez

10. Trent Clark

11. Marcos Diplan

12. Jacob Gatewood

13. Devin Williams

14. Corey Knebel

15. Monte Harrison

16. Nathan Kirby

17. Cody Ponce

18. Victor Roache

19. Cy Sneed

20. Carlos Leal

21. Tyler Cravy

22. Nick Ramirez

23. Yadiel Riveria

24. Damien Magnifico

25. Troy Stokes

It is not a bad prospect list, lots of guys who should play in the Majors but still short on elite prospects. Hopefully we can add at least one elite prospect in a Gomez trade and then another with a top 5 pick in next years draft, but by then Arcia will be in the bigs so it still will not be a really loaded list.

T-Rats could be really interesting next year if Trent Clark and Gilbert Lara skip Helena (at least to start) to go with Harrison, Gatewood and Stokes.

Brevard could have a really good pitching staff next year if Ponce and Kirby start there with Mederios and D.Williams.

I am a proponent of grouping as many top prospects as you can on one team.

1. Orlando Arcia

2. Gilbert Lara

3. Taylor Jungmann (shouldn't be eligible)

4. Trenton Clark

5. Jorge Lopez

6. Nathan Kirby

7. Michael Reed

8. Marcos Diplan

9. Clint Coulter

10. Jake Gatewood

11. Kodi Medeiros

12. Demi Orimoloye

13. Tyrone Taylor

14 Cody Ponce

15 Devin Williams

16. Monte Harrison

17 Corey Knebel

18 Tyler Wagner

19 Victor Roache

20. Tyler Cravy

21. Carlos Leal

22. Cy Sneed

23. Yadiel Rivera

24 Wei-Chung Wang

25 Troy Stokes

I'm surprised at the lack of love for Jorge Ortega who is at Brevard County. 85 IP, 2.33 ERA, only 6 BB (yes, only six walks), 0.940 WHIP. 4 complete games in 12 starts. He doesn't strike out many (only 42), and he is in the FSL - a notorious pitcher's league. But the walk rate is insanely awesome, and his ability to go deep in games is a nice asset.

Out of curiosity, question for those who are leaving Nathan Kirby off of their lists. Are you doing so because he hasn't signed yet or because you don't believe he belongs on your list?

Kirby's not a Brewers prospect until he signs the contract, IMO.

Archived