Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tuesday 7/7 - Explanation for Orlando Arcia's Early Exit

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: DSL Yankees #2 squad 4, DSL Brewers 1

DSL Brewers Box Score

RHP Junior Flores and LHP Boanerges Nova combined to pitch a shutout (save for four unearned runs).

E: Valderrey (3, missed catch), Mallen 2 (10, fielding, fielding), Pena, Y (4, throw).

PB: Martinez, S (4).

DSL Brewers Game Log

The Cerveceritos outhit the Yankee kids 8-5. SS Franly Mallen was 3-for-4, all singles.

BASERUNNING

SB: Morillo, A (4, 2nd base off Yajure/Mateo, A).

CS: Pinero 2 (2, 2nd base by Yajure/Mateo, A, 2nd base by Yajure/Mateo, A), Pena, Y (2, 2nd base by Yajure/Mateo, A).

PO: Pinero (1st base by Yajure).

Those were the first two times CF Marcos Pinero (.490 OBP in 37 AB's in his injury-shortened campaign) was caught stealing in eight attempts.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: AZL White Sox 6, AZL Brewers 2

Maryvale Box Score

Hulking first baseman Tyrone Perry has been so solid (.907 OPS), he doubled and walked twice here; only other Brewer to reach base more than once was second baseman Jonathan Oquendo (single, walk).

First day off for SS Gilbert Lara.

Maryvale Game Log

Scoreless one-inning start by 9th round Oregon HS pick Karsen Lindell, a rough four-run frame for 33rd round UC-Santa Barbara RHP Connor Baits, stellar four innings of work by undrafted Baylor LHP Brad Kuntz, a scoreless pro debut inning by Dixie State RHP Evan Parker.

Undrafted Liberty University LHP Shawn Clowers allowed two runs in two innings despite not giving up a hit --

AZL White Sox Top of the 7th

Pitching Change: Shawn Clowers replaces Brad Kuntz.

Jordan Yallen hit by pitch.

Tyler Sullivan walks. Jordan Yallen to 2nd.

With Bradley Strong batting, wild pitch by Shawn Clowers, Jordan Yallen to 3rd. Tyler Sullivan to 2nd.

Bradley Strong out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Joantgel Segovia. Jordan Yallen scores. Tyler Sullivan to 3rd.

With Micker Adolfo batting, wild pitch by Shawn Clowers, Tyler Sullivan scores.

Micker Adolfo grounds out, shortstop Daniel Leonardo to first baseman Tyrone Perry.

Cody Daily pops out to first baseman Tyrone Perry in foul territory.

Still need to get around to detailing the successes of the undrafted Brewers, the sample size grows.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Montgomery 10, Biloxi 7

Shuckers drop first series since May after 10-7 loss

Montgomery takes advantage of 12 Biloxi walks and four errors

Biloxi Shuckers

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/7/2/2/135431722/cuts/_BRP5011_t1w0zzvy_4twtpp87.jpg

Adam Weisenburger launched his second homer of the season on Tuesday night in the 10-7 loss. (Benton Reed Photography)

MONTGOMERY, AL - For the first time since a five-game series with the Jackson Generals, May 11-15, the Shuckers dropped a series after falling to the Montgomery Biscuits on Tuesday night, 10-7. Biloxi issued a season-high 12 walks and the defense committed a season-high four errors in the three-run defeat.

The Biscuits have outscored Biloxi 31-20 over the first four games of the series. This season, the Shuckers are 12-5 in series play.

Johnny Hellweg, (0-1) recovering from Tommy John surgery, made his first start with Biloxi (6-6) since being promoted from Brevard County and allowed a run on three walks and a hit batter in the first, providing Montgomery a 1-0 lead. The 27-year-old allowed five runs - two earned - on two hits, five walks and two strikeouts while needing 63 pitches to work through his 2.1 innings.

Derek Eitel made his Biloxi debut, replacing Hellweg in the third and allowed two runs on three hits, a walk and three punch outs in his 1.2 innings of work.

The Shuckers pulled ahead briefly, 2-1, in the third with a two-run frame thanks to an RBI triple by Nick Shaw (1x4, RBI, R, 3B) and a run-scoring groundout by Nathan Orf (1x5, RBI, R, 2B), but Biloxi could not hold on to the one-run advantage as Montgomery (7-4) responded with four runs in the bottom half of the inning.

Nick Ramirez's (2x3, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R, BB) solo home run in the fourth brought Biloxi within two, but the Biscuits would tally on two more runs in their half of the frame to put the Shuckers in a 7-3 hole.

Back-to-back walks to Michael Reed (0x3, R, 2 BB) and Ramirez ended Biscuits' starter and former first rounder Ryne Stanek's night, and Adam Weisenburger's (2x4, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R) two-run home run two outs later brought the Shuckers within 7-6. Montgomery would have another answer in the bottom of the sixth with an RBI double from Jake Bauers.

Ramirez was at it again in the seventh with an RBI single to plate Orf, but the Biscuits were right back at it with runs in the seventh and eighth to put the Shuckers in an insurmountable, three-run deficit.

Montgomery leadoff hitter Joey Rickard set a Southern League record with six walks in the game. He recorded half of the walks issued and the sixth came on a 3-2 pitch from reliever Manny Barreda in the eighth.

Biloxi will try to salvage two games in the series against the Biscuits in game five on Wednesday, the first leg of a 10-game road trip. RHP Jorge Lopez (7-2, 2.64) will take the mound for the Shuckers, who have won the righties last seven starts, including a 6-2 victory over the Biscuits on June 17. Montgomery will counter with RHP Austin Pruitt (4-4, 3.29), who pitched eight shutout innings against Biloxi on June 20. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, with coverage beginning at 6:50 on 1240-AM WGCM, 1580-AM WPMO and the Biloxi Shuckers Radio Network. Fans can also listen to the game using the TuneIn Radio app or by going to www.biloxishuckers.com.

VIDEO via WLOX: Some of the game action

Biloxi Box Score

Since seeing Johnny Hellweg deer-in-the-headlights and shell-shocked in his big league action, Tommy John recovery or not, five walks and two HBP's in 2.1 innings here does not have me excited at all, especially since his Brevard County lines were not pretty, either. I hate typing that because I know how hard Hellweg must have worked to get to this point, but the bad images of those big league moments are etched on my brain. Not sure if anyone ever looked so uncomfortable.

Biloxi Game Log

Biloxi Top of the 5th

Thomas Coyle remains in the game as the second baseman.

Defensive switch from second base to third base for Hector Guevara.

Nick Shaw strikes out swinging.

Nathan Orf grounds out, shortstop Leonardo Reginatto to first baseman Jake Bauers.

Tyrone Taylor singles on a sharp ground ball to shortstop Leonardo Reginatto, deflected by third baseman Hector Guevara.

Orlando Arcia strikes out swinging, catcher Justin O'Conner to first baseman Jake Bauers.

Montgomery Bottom of the 5th

Defensive switch from third base to second base for Nathan Orf.

Defensive Substitution: Brandon Macias replaces shortstop Orlando Arcia, batting 3rd, playing third base.

Will be checking out the video later on, perhaps Arcia took out some frustrations and was pulled in a "no one's bigger than the team" kind of thing...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Biscuits' Rickard walks into record book

Rays prospect doesn't swing bat in six plate appearances, scores twice

By Kelsie Heneghan / MiLB.com

When Joey Rickard left the plate after his first time up on Tuesday night, "Walk it Out" blared on the sound system at Montgomery Riverwalk Stadium. And after the second, and again after the third.

At that point, Biloxi first baseman Taylor Green leaned over and said, "That's three walks."

"He was asking me if I had swung the bat yet and I said no," Rickard recalled. "He says, 'That's unbelievable.'"

The Rays outfield prospect continued to keep his bat upright as he drew a Southern League-record six walks in the Biscuits' 10-7 win over Biloxi.

"I'm usually the guy that doesn't walk a whole lot," Rickard said. "Tonight, the game just called for me to take a pitch and that just led into me taking another one and I just kept getting ahead and shrunk the zone and the balls kept coming and I just kept laying off of them."

Rickard took six called strikes without swinging the bat in six plate appearances. The 24-year-old hadn't walked in his previous three games but drew entertaining attention from teammates past and present.

"The joke going around was, 'You didn't have to bring a bat today,' [and] 'You didn't have to take BP.' Just little stuff like that that definitely makes it more fun," he said. "I definitely heard it from them and [Rays No. 2 prospect] Daniel Robertson, he had some fun with it over Twitter."

Rickard's record-breaking sixth free pass came in a situation in which a walk was an attractive option: with the bases loaded and two outs. With Montgomery ahead, 9-7, in the bottom of the eighth, the University of Arizona product worked his second six-pitch count and picked up his first RBI of the night.

"The walk was really in the back of my mind, especially with the bases loaded," he said. "Just the way I was pitched, it started off 3-0, so I was automatically taking.

"The stars just lined up tonight. I didn't change any sort of approach. It will never happen again, for sure, and I kind of just got lucky tonight. It was late in the game by then, so odds were that was my last at-bat. I was just happy and very excited. I heard an extra-loud cheer from the dugout because they all knew what was happening. Playing a tight ballgame, so at the time, it was a big at-bat. I was definitely proud and exciting."

The Biscuits' leadoff hitter also tied a career high with three stolen bases and scored twice.

"Just given what the game was giving me in the situation, in certain times, you be more selective and other times you be more aggressive," he said. "As far as baserunning goes, tonight it called for some aggressive plays and I just tried to take advantage of them."

Rickard eclipsed the league record set most recently by Cubs prospect Pin-Chieh Chen, who walked five times for Tennessee in a 13-inning game on May 4.

"I'm sure there's a lot more records that I'd rather have, but I'll take it," Rickard said with a laugh. "You don't use the word lucky, but there's really no other term for [being] successful without swinging, and I was just the guy at the plate tonight. It really could've been anybody in that spot."

Biscuits starter and Rays No. 19 prospect Ryne Stanek (4-2) got the win, despite allowing five runs on six hits and two walks while striking out three in five innings. Brad Schreiber closed it out with a scoreless ninth to earn the save in his Double-A debut.

Getting swept as an organization stinks...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Biloxi Game Log

Biloxi Top of the 5th

Thomas Coyle remains in the game as the second baseman.

Defensive switch from second base to third base for Hector Guevara.

Nick Shaw strikes out swinging.

Nathan Orf grounds out, shortstop Leonardo Reginatto to first baseman Jake Bauers.

Tyrone Taylor singles on a sharp ground ball to shortstop Leonardo Reginatto, deflected by third baseman Hector Guevara.

Orlando Arcia strikes out swinging, catcher Justin O'Conner to first baseman Jake Bauers.

Montgomery Bottom of the 5th

Defensive switch from third base to second base for Nathan Orf.

Defensive Substitution: Brandon Macias replaces shortstop Orlando Arcia, batting 3rd, playing third base.

Will be checking out the video later on, perhaps Arcia took out some frustrations and was pulled in a "no one's bigger than the team" kind of thing...

Yes, this is exactly what happened.

For those with an MiLB.TV subscription, go to the one hour, 37 minute mark for the beginning of the at-bat.

Arcia was fooled badly on down-and-away pitches, including the final strike. Arcia responded by throwing down his bat and chucking his helmet, then ambling down the first base line removing his shin protector to prepare for taking the field.

Meanwhile, the final pitch was in the dirt and had squirted away from the catcher, but as the Montgomery announcer astutely mentioned, Arcia was having a "pity party" for himself instead of running to first base, and Manager Carlos Subero likely wasn't happy, thus the removal.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interesting note from last night's game I forgot to share but one of the Kane County pitchers charting pitches and chatting us up noticed that the Rattlers were able to steal signs from the C. The runner at 2nd base would put his arm up for "breaking ball" and leave it down for "FB". After calling 10 pitches in a row from the stands based on what the Rattlers were doing out at 2B they tried to get the attention of the guys in the dugout but didn't have success. I was wondering why they just didn't walk over there and say something even though they were charting pitches, I would have thought charting pitches could wait... nice guys though.

Maybe a little schadenfreude going on? Competing for a promotion perhaps?

Yikes, hopefully Arcia doesn't act like that on a Lawrie frequency.... First time I have heard of him pulling that kind of stuff though, he's young and it was a great move to pull him....teaching moments

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Interesting note from last night's game I forgot to share but one of the Kane County pitchers charting pitches and chatting us up noticed that the Rattlers were able to steal signs from the C. The runner at 2nd base would put his arm up for "breaking ball" and leave it down for "FB". After calling 10 pitches in a row from the stands based on what the Rattlers were doing out at 2B they tried to get the attention of the guys in the dugout but didn't have success. I was wondering why they just didn't walk over there and say something even though they were charting pitches, I would have thought charting pitches could wait... nice guys though.

Maybe a little schadenfreude going on? Competing for a promotion perhaps?

Nah nothing like that, later on they figured it out in the dugout because the pitching coach came out and had a long and animated discussion with the pitcher and catcher. The guys were pissed that no one in the dugout was picking up on it... had it been me I just would have walked right over and said something but as it was helping the team I wanted to win in a big inning I didn't state the obvious. The guy who noticed was working the gun and passing along the velocity to the other 2, so maybe he felt the need to stand his post, and Wei-Chieh Huang didn't appear to grasp what was going on due to the language barrier, but they had a big lead at the time and it was slipping away which would have been my personal motivating factor.

It was also mentioned it that this wasn't the first time a team had picked up on it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived