Brewer Fanatic

Braun an All Star? (Latest: He's in...see post #43)

The stache

Just saw an article on ESPN.com where the six baseball writers choose their starters and reserves for the All Star game.

All six picked Ryan Braun for the Brewers representative.

The only other guy I could think of that may be deserving is Francisco Rodriguez. Though his saves have been an adventure more often than not, he's gotten the job done.

Yet Braun is an every day player, and in the top 10 in multiple categories in the N.L. Currently hitting .271, he's 8th in runs scored (45), 7th in home runs (15) and RBI (53). He's stolen 9 bases in 10 tries, has 13 doubles and 2 triples.

I think this latest hot streak will have him back in the game for the first time since 2012. When you consider how dysfunctional our offense has been, and the lingering thumb issues, he's been pretty solid as a run producer. And his latest hot streak has raised his average nearly 30 points.

Thoughts?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he is playing like an all-star, his average needs to keep climbing. Really he had to overcome the bad habits to start the season and then thumb started to bug him a little bit (had to get it redone quick) outside of those two, he has been great. Lind has had a very impressive season as well but doubt he will make it

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I know people don't put a whole lot of stock in to something like this, but he's on pace for 30 HR and 100 RBI on one of the worst teams in baseball. He definitely seems back to really, really good player level. Not the Hall of Fame, Superstar level he was before, but still pretty darn good. The All Star has to be him or Krod. No one else is even close.

I really think the thing with Braun is, from one day to the next, he never knows how the hand is going to be. These guys play so much baseball (and even with the two or three treatments he's had, he's played in 78 of our 81 games), and when you have any kind of a physical issue, especially in your hands, that's got to make it that much harder to be consistent.

It's clear that he still has spectacular power. I do put stock in the productivity he's put up on a lousy team. Who has been on in front of him on a consistent basis? Gomez? Segura? LOL, Scooter Gennett? Lucroy? Nobody I can think of.

Braun is hitting .397 with runners in scoring position with a 1.174 OPS. That's ridiculous. He's only had 74 plate appearances with runners on. Imagine if that number were to go up.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I'd like to send the most deserving player, and that's clearly Braun, who was 3 for 5 again tonight.

We've won 8 of 10. Braun is 18 for 41 with 8 runs scored, 5 doubles, a home run, 10 RBI in that span. That's not a coincidence.

Luc with 11 hits in the last four games. 21 hits in four games from Luc and Brauny.

I don't want to do the work of looking into deserving outfielders and relievers but it clearly should be one of Braun and krod or both. Forget the ped bs it's irrelevant as Cruz has made it the last two years. I would be shocked if there's 7 more deserving outfielders than braun

I don't want to do the work of looking into deserving outfielders and relievers but it clearly should be one of Braun and krod or both. Forget the ped bs it's irrelevant as Cruz has made it the last two years. I would be shocked if there's 7 more deserving outfielders than braun

Fangraphs has him come in at #15 in the NL if you include defense. If you only look at offense, which is probably more appropriate for the ASG, he comes in at #9.

Fransisco Rodriguez on the other hand isn't what I'd consider one of the top closers stat wise. Nice stats, but not out of this world like some do. Probably not dominant enough to get in over some flashy names.

Adam Lind is not an All Star compared to others at 1B.

So really the Brewers have a bunch of nice players and none of them really deserve to go based on stats. So really there is no right pick. I think Braun will get it for name recognition and the fact he plays everyday vs. K-Rod who pitches an inning here and there.

As of today Frankie is #8 in saves in the NL with a 1.45 ERA. He'd probably be higher up if he had more saves.

Right now Braun is the #4 right fielder for the NL. His batting average is up to .277 and he is third in RBI and third of all right fielders in homers. What might aid Braun in being chosen is the injury to Stanton.

With Stanton out as far as I can tell only Harper and Peterson have more HR and only Harper more rbi among nl outfielders. Throw on a respectable but not great avg/ops and he should be in.

Krod will likely be a replacement for a SP who pitches on Saturday or Sunday so they get withdrawn

Personally if we were going to have only one guy represent us I would prefer a different player.

Why is that?

Time to let the sour grapes go, he did his time, we all need to move on...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Personally if we were going to have only one guy represent us I would prefer a different player.

Why is that?

It's more of the fact the rest of MLB has sour grapes(most notably NL Central foes). If we had to be represented by a single player I'd prefer a guy who won't be booed the whole week and talked about negatively. Just not how I would want the organization to be represented. Really just a minor thing and in the end I couldn't care less.

As of today Frankie is #8 in saves in the NL with a 1.45 ERA. He'd probably be higher up if he had more saves.

Right now Braun is the #4 right fielder for the NL. His batting average is up to .277 and he is third in RBI and third of all right fielders in homers. What might aid Braun in being chosen is the injury to Stanton.

Number of saves is probably not a tool the NL Manager is going to use...just a guess. Probably no difference between 18 and 25 saves.

Also Braun's rank among RFers is pretty pointless. The OFers are just one big group and can play a different position if need be. Braun played RF in the All Star game once if I recall. It is his ranks among all OFers that matters.

Both could end up being All Stars though. Braun should probably get in as the lone representative pick and K-Rod could join him later as a fill in.

Why is that?

It's more of the fact the rest of MLB has sour grapes(most notably NL Central foes). If we had to be represented by a single player I'd prefer a guy who won't be booed the whole week and talked about negatively. Just not how I would want the organization to be represented. Really just a minor thing and in the end I couldn't care less.

Let Braun in the game. And put Arod in, too. Problem solved. All attention will be on Arod and Braun will be a footnote in the booing.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Let's face it, Braun being an all star helps his prestige and in turn helps his asset valuation. That helps the Brewers. Put him out there and let him face the boos post PED's. It will dampen over time. It's all a good thing to keep it moving along for the organization.

Let's face it, Braun being an all star helps his prestige and in turn helps his asset valuation. That helps the Brewers. Put him out there and let him face the boos post PED's. It will dampen over time. It's all a good thing to keep it moving along for the organization.

I think it will be better the have a post liar/cheater that's an All Star...I agree with that. Sucking post PEDs only fuels the fire.

Though his thumb is still problematic, apparently that calf issue is a thing of the past. Braun is running like a deer lately. 12 of 13 in stolen bases with 2 tonight, and 5 in the last 8 games.

Projected: .277, 92 runs scored, 27 doubles, 29 home runs, 107 RBI, 23 stolen bases. Not bad. Not bad at all.

I don't think baseball fans nationally really care anymore about the Braun PED thing... At least to the extent that some on this board seem to think.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't think baseball fans nationally really care anymore about the Braun PED thing... At least to the extent that some on this board seem to think.

Exactly. Maybe there'll be some boos because the game is in Cincinnati, but outside of St. Louis and Milwaukee I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

Exactly. Maybe there'll be some boos because the game is in Cincinnati, but outside of St. Louis and Milwaukee I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

Right. And if he gets booed...who really cares? It's not like Ryan Braun is made of glass and it's going to affect his psyche at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived