Brewer Fanatic

Hiram Burgos

Hiram is making a run like he did in 2012 and 2013 before getting hurt. His ERA is getting better as he moves up the food chain. Maybe the Brewers get rid of Garza and Lohse and go with Cravy and/or Burgos along with the returning Peralta?

I have always rooted for Hiram. Keep it going!

I like Tyler Cravy but let's remember he doesn't have a lot of innings. He threw 82 all of last year and his high is 90 back in 2011. Currently has 85 IP this year. At some point, he will have to be shut down.

Burgos was one of the most impressive pitchers in the entire WBC in 2013. His arm was sore when he got his first big league shot that year but like a lot of guys he was afraid to say anything.

If he's fully healthy, and a full year in the minors will be evidence of that, then sure he's in the picture to contend for a rotation spot.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Former Bethune-Cookman pitcher Hiram Burgos aims for second shot at big leagues

By Chris Boyle, Daytona News-Journal

"He's been able to throw really well," said Fred Dabney, pitching coach for the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. "It's a credit to the hard work and dedication he put in to get back to where he was. Getting used to the altitude is an adjustment, but he's back to being Burgos."

Burgos throws four pitches — fastball, changeup, curveball and slider. Dabney said his fastball velocity has sat between 86-89 mph.

So tough if that's where he's going to top out...

He was bad when he got here with pretty bad stuff. There are several options I'd rather have pitching than him. Even if Garza and Lohse are gone.

Peralta, Nelson, Jungmann, Fiers, Cravy, Thornburg etc.

Please explain the bad stuff. Pitching is more than just about speed.

Sure but speed does matter, especially when there's no deception. Fiers can get by because of deception, Burgos can't. If you're throwing 88, you have to have pinpoint control and command to get major league hitters out, especially with average secondary stuff.

He's going to be 28 in a month. Maybe he can hook on with another team somewhere but we have younger and much more interesting arms that are major league ready that I'd rather see pitch than Burgos.

I guess then that bad stuff is equal to not perfect command and average pitches other than a fastball with a high 80's fastball. Maybe he will drop on his face, I just hope he gets a chance. Maybe he will surprise you.

Archived