Brewer Fanatic

Cody Ponce Promoted to Class A

Interesting...guess we better start talking about Ponce a bit more.

Report: Milwaukee's Cody Ponce promoted to Class A

Milwaukee Brewers right-hander Cody Ponce appears to be on the fast track to the major leagues.

According to Ryan Collingwood of the Helena Independent Record, the 2015 second-round pick is being promoted to the Single-A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers after posting a 3.60 ERA in five innings (two appearances) with the rookie league Helena Brewers.

Although his sample size is small, Ponce's high potential likely contributed to his promotion. The 55th overall pick by Milwaukee ranked 35th on Keith Law's Top 100 draft prospects prior to the draft.

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb/post/_/id/8844/report-milwaukees-cody-ponce-promoted-to-class-a

I forsee Kirby moving pretty quick as well. Wouldn't be shocked to see them both at BC next season like Bradley & Jungmann

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

With Lara I most definitely see him in Wisconsin. He will join that wave. Question is who moves to 3B him or Gatewood?

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

With Lara I most definitely see him in Wisconsin. He will join that wave. Question is who moves to 3B him or Gatewood?

If they really think Lara can play SS I think he is a the obvious choice. However I heard Lara wasn't much of a long term SS. So if that is true I would probably move him to 3B. Both are questionable there long term, but I heard Gatewood would be more likely to stick at SS.

I forsee Kirby moving pretty quick as well. Wouldn't be shocked to see them both at BC next season like Bradley & Jungmann

While the rest of this year will have a lot to do with it, it will be interesting to see how the Brevard rotation shakes out next year. You could have five legitimate candidates from the group that has been with Wisconsin most of the year (Williams, Ventura, Medeiros, Burkhalter and Hirsch), the two high draft picks (Ponce and Kirby) and the possibility of a holdover from the Wang, Woodruff, Sneed group.

Kirby has hardly pitched all season, when he signs, and I'm guessing it will be late, he'll likely be in rookie ball. There's no room for him in WI right now anyway. Which pitcher would you send down to make room?

Or if you wanted to promote a pitcher form WI to BC to make room who would move out of the rotation? Wang, Salas, Woodruff, Ortega, and Sneed are all right where they should be.

Wagner, Hall, Johnson, and Lopez belong in AA rotation right now, the 5th spot in that rotation has been in flux but as good as Ortega has been I'd have a hard time pushing him up. I'm really not in a rush to push anyone to Colorado or rush any promotions at this point.

edit. Kirby could very well just relieve the remainder of this season but if that's the case I'd rather he dominate Helena as well, if he has success he could always come up to WI to see what full season ball is about before the end of the season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived