Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wednesday 7/1 -- You Get To Walk Off! And You Get To Walk Off! And You Get To Walk Off!

I know Coulter just had the game of his season, and he's been massively inconsistent. But he's had basically the same half-year Ryan Braun had at Brevard, only Coulter has been a bit better overall and is 8 months younger than Braun was.

He doesn't have Braun's pedigree, of course, or his all-around athleticism. Still, I wonder if he'll get a bump up. How much does the inconsistency matter?

Manatees Use Power In Series Opening Rout

Neda, Brennan, Garfield go deep in blowout

By Jerry Durney / Brevard County Manatees

07/01/2015 10:45 PM ET

Dunedin, FL- The Brevard County Manatees (3-3, 32-43 overall) enjoyed one of their most dynamic nights at the plate this season, smashing eight extra base hits to take the first game of the series with the Dunedin Blue Jays (2-5, 34-43 overall), 12-3 on Wednesday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium.

The Manatees seized the initiative by taking the lead in the opening inning. The charge started when Michael Ratterree drew a one-out walk. Clint Coulter followed with a double to right that brought Ratterree to third. During Taylor Brennan's at-bat, Blue Jays starting pitcher Jairo Labourt threw a wild pitch that allowed Ratterree to score.

In what was a sign of things to come, Rafael Neda led off the top of the second inning with a home run to left. The blast was his second of the season.

The power surge truly began in the top of the third, which was catalyzed by a one-out walk to Coulter. Brennan made Labourt pay by launching a two-run homer to left center. The homer was Brennan's second of the season and second in as many games. Cameron Garfield came up next and duplicated the feat by clubbing his second home run of the season, this one a solo shot to left. It was the first time this season that the Manatees hit back-to-back home runs.

Brevard County would continue to tack on in the top of the sixth, starting with a leadoff walk to Neda. Steven Halcomb singled to right and when Derrick Loveless misplayed the ball, Neda was able to move to third. Blue Jays reliever Alberto Tirado induced a double play ball from the first batter he faced, Angel Ortega, but the play allowed Neda to score and move the Manatee lead to six.

Dunedin showed some fight in the bottom of the inning against Manatees starting pitcher Javi Salas. J.D. Davis began the rally with a one-out double, which was then followed by a walk to Christian Lopes. After Rowdy Tellez popped out, Mitch Nay doubled to right, plating Davis and Lopes. L.B. Dantlzer followed with a two-bagger of his own to score Nay and bring Salas' outing to an end. Kaleb Earls came in and retired Emilio Guerrero.

The 'Tees would put the game out of reach in the top of the ninth with Chris McFarland lighting the spark with a leadoff single against new Blue Jays reliever Matt Dermody. Following a Ratterree single, Coulter smacked his third double of the night to bring home McFarland and move Ratterree to third. Up stepped Brennan, who delivered with a two-run single to center. Garfield followed with his a single of his own. After a Jose Pena strikeout, Neda ripped a triple to center to score Garfield. He would then come home on a Halcomb groundout to conclude a six-run inning.

Earls gave up a one-out single in the bottom of the ninth but got Dawel Lugo to hit into a double play to complete a 10-out save.

Eight Manatees recorded a hit with Neda leading the way with a three-for-four night, including two extra base hits and three runs scored. Coulter's three doubles brought his total to 20 on the season. Brennan's three-for-five night brings him to a .316 average in his last 10 games with five extra base hits and 10 RBI. Garfield, Halcomb and McFarland also recorded multi-hit games.

Salas went five and two-thirds innings to earn his team-leading seventh win of the season. He gave up three runs on six hits, striking out five and walking one. Earls gave up just the lone single in the ninth in his outing that spanned three and two-thirds innings.

The Manatees and Blue Jays will meet again on Thursday night as RHP Johnny Hellweg (0-2, 9.00 ERA) takes to the mound against RHP Jeff Hoffman (1-2, 3.72 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 P.M.

Brevard County Box Score

The Blue Jays starter, Jairo Labourt, is a hard throwing left hander with very good stuff but is inconsistent. The Manatees have had mixed results against him. Javi Salas was in total control until the 6th when he started to get the ball up. Kaleb Earls with one of his best performances: 3 1/3 IP, 1H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K. Good to see Taylor Brennan with some power. He led the league in walks in the first half but didn't show much power. Coulter with 3 doubles, Neda a home run and a triple, Brennan a home run and a double.

Brevard County Game Log

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Shuckers pull off 3rd straight walk-off at MGM Park

By Patrick Magee, Biloxi Sun-Herald

PHOTO GALLERY: Five images from the Sun-Herald's John Fitzhugh at the link

BILOXI - The Shuckers continued their extra-inning magic at MGM Park Wednesday night.

Pinch hitter Josh Fellhauer was the hero Wednesday with a single into the right-center gap to bring home Nick Shaw for the winning run in the 10th for a 2-1 victory over the Mississippi Braves.

Fellhauer was mobbed by teammates after he made the turn around first.

"Three (extra-inning games) in a row and three wins at MGM Park, crazy right?," a grinning Fellhauer said.

The left-handed Fellhauer went to the plate with a clear plan in mind. He had Shaw, who reached on a leadoff single, on second and the hard-throwing Tyler Jones on the mound for the M-Braves.

"He's a big guy and he's got a big arm," Fellhauer said. "I was sitting fastball. He came back with it after a slider and I figured he would. I put a good swing on it."

Wednesday's contest marked the fourth time in 10 games that the Shuckers have played extra inning games at MGM Park, all victories for Biloxi.

The Shuckers have a total of six walk-off victories this season. They've also won seven consecutive extra-inning games.

The attendance at MGM Park Wednesday night was 4,123. Through 10 games at the new ballpark, the Shuckers are averaging 3,672 fans a contest.

Tyler Wagner gave the Shuckers his ninth quality start of the season and the team's 31st as a whole.

He gave up one run on seven hits in eight innings. He struck out three and walked none.

"You know what you're going to get with him in terms of how competitive he's going to be and how bad he wants to win," Biloxi catcher Adam Weisenburger said. "It's a matter of fine tuning it so his stuff equates to how competitive he is and how bad he wants it."

Mike Strong (3-0) threw two scoreless innings in relief to pick up the victory.

The Shuckers again got off to an early start with Nathan Orf doubling deep to right field to lead off the first inning for the Shuckers.

Tyrone Taylor pushed Orf to third on a sacrifice bunt to first and Orlando Arcia brought home Orf with a single up the middle to set the score at 1-0 with one out in the bottom of the first.

The M-Braves finally had an answer in the bottom of the sixth when Matt Lipka ripped a two-out solo homer over the left field wall to tie the game at 1-1.

Lipka's homer was his first in two years to the day with the last one coming on July 1, 2013.

M-Braves starting pitcher Greg Ross has struggled much of the season, but he was solid on the mound Wednesday after giving up the first inning run. He did a good job of stranding runners on base all night, giving up one earned run on nine hits in seven innings.

Shaw, Orf, Arcia and Nick Ramirez all went 2-for-4 at the plate for Biloxi with both of Orf's hits coming via the double.

Francisco Rondon, who gave up the single to Shaw to start the bottom of the 10th, took the loss to drop to 2-2 for the M-Braves.

Right-hander Jorge Lopez (6-2, 2.80) will start for Biloxi in Thursday's 7:10 PM game. Right-hander Jorge Reyes (5-4, 2.38) is scheduled to get the start for the M-Braves.

The Shuckers are only 3-10 in Thursday games this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers' Davis knocks off some rust in opener of rehab stint with Rattlers

Tim Froberg, Post-Crescent Media

VIDEO: Link includes interview with Davis, with the quotes mentioned in the story below

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/dd449d7b8e5ee93d0ee787968a989fc963d9297f/c=0-53-3250-2491&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/07/02/Appleton/B9317913615Z.1_20150702012911_000_G90B88CBI.1-0.jpg

Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Khris Davis warms up as he rehabs with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. (Photo: Ron Page/Post-Crescent Media)

GRAND CHUTE – Khris Davis didn't expect to hear boos while he was at the plate Wednesday night.

They erupted all right, but solely because Cedar Rapids refused to let Davis do what he does best: swing the bat.

In Wisconsin's 3-2 loss to the Kernels, the Milwaukee Brewers' slugging outfielder went 0-for-3 with an unappreciated intentional walk on the first day of a five-game injury rehabilitation assignment with the Rattlers.

It was an uneventful tune-up for Davis, who hasn't played in just over a month after tearing meniscus in his right knee during a May 30 game against Arizona and undergoing surgery.

But injury rehab assignments aren't about putting up numbers and the 27-year-old Davis was pleased with the work he got done.

"I had some fun out there and got a little bit of adrenaline going," said Davis. "I was happy with the way I saw the ball and the pitches I swung at. I have no complaints. It was a successful day."

Wearing No. 6 and playing as the Rattlers' designated hitter, Davis grounded out to third on a first bat. He then flew out to the warning track in deep left field and popped up to shallow center on his third plate appearance.

"The swing is kind of coming around," said Davis. "That never changes. It's just about getting back to game speed and getting the reps."

Davis didn't get a rep on his final trip to the plate, and that stirred up the fans at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium. With the score tied 2-2 and teammate Brandon Diaz on second with two outs following an RBI double, the Kernels elected to not pitch to Davis. Lefty reliever Michael Theofanopoulos issued an intentional walk — to the chagrin of the Rattlers' home crowd.

Yet the strategy worked perfectly. Theofanopoulos retired the next batter, left-handed-hitting Dustin DeMuth, on a ground ball to end the inning. The Kernels then scored the tie-breaking run in the top of the ninth on Rafael Valera's RBI single off losing pitcher Scott Lieser.

Davis looked irritated at the time of the intentional walk, but agreed with the decision afterward.

"I can't blame them," he said. "It's late in the game. I don't blame them for not taking the risk. I would have loved to hit."

Wisconsin manager Matt Erickson was also fine with the Kernels' strategy.

"There would have been some gamesmanship if they had pitched to him, but I would have done the same thing," said Erickson. "You have a left-lefty matchup coming up. It was obviously the right thing to do."

Davis, Milwaukee's starting left fielder, is hitting .250 for the Brewers with five homers and 16 RBI in 46 games. The third-year pro had his best season in 2014, slamming 22 home runs and driving in 69 runs, while hitting .244.

"He looked like he missed a few pitches that he normally would hit after a few days, but he's missed a month," said Erickson. "As far as his balance and set-up, they were fine. It was good to see him here and healthy. He didn't look limited in any capacity."

Davis feels like the knee injury is behind him and just needs to knock the rust off his swing.

"I'm happy with the job the trainers have done with me," said Davis. "I feel good. I just need to get back to game speed. There is such a thing as baseball shape, even though we don't look like athletes out there sometimes. There is still some conditioning and reps that are needed."

Davis, 27, spent the entire 2010 season with the Timber Rattlers, socking 22 homers and hitting .286 with 72 RBI. He shares the Rattlers' single-season home run record with Clint Coulter (2014) and Victor Roache (2013).

"It's definitely something to look back on and be proud of," said Davis. "I'm thankful for it."

Davis also won the 2010 Midwest League home run derby which was a part of all-star festivities at Parkview Field in Fort Wayne, Ind. He hit 25 bombs in three rounds, including 11 in the finals.

"Matty (Erickson) talked me into it, I really didn't want to do it that year," said Davis. "I surprised myself."

Davis said he'll be happy to share his baseball wisdom with his temporary teammates.

"I guess the biggest thing I'd tell them is they need to have a love for the game, because you play a lot on back-to-back days over and over," Davis said. "You can get a little complacent and you don't want to get complacent. You really have to love it and hopefully you get lucky and get to the big leagues."

Davis is scheduled to play in the outfield during tonight's road game against Beloit and play at least six innings.

"It's a progressive build-up," said Davis. "I'll be here five days and it should be a full game on Sunday."

Davis suffered the injury May 30 against the Arizona Diamondbacks on an awkward swing in which he struck out. He's fine with his return to Grand Chute, but eager to rejoin his teammates in Milwaukee.

"It's good to see Matty (Erickson) and I can't wait until I get to say goodbye," said Davis. "It's never easy sitting on the sidelines when you know you could be helping your team. I have such a good time with the teammates I have in Milwaukee. Even though the situation isn't pretty, we still have a lot of fun and look forward to going out and competing every day."

As for the game, the Rattlers received a strong pitching performance from lefty starter Zach Hirsch, who allowed one earned run on five hits in six innings. But Wisconsin against struggled to deliver the key hit, going 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position.

"Hirshy was a little up in the zone early in the game, then he settled in real nice and started mixing and keeping the ball down," said Erickson. "When he keeps the ball down, he gets pretty good movement and they don't get a lot of good contact on him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Am I the only one who doesn't like rehab assignments? Half the interview questions end up being about the big league player which is just of no interest to me. I want nuggets of wisdom, not drivel about the rehab timeline.

Was expecting one of those ten-minute press conference audio chunks, but did chuckle when I saw the audio clip was two minutes, ten seconds, and was able to survive it :).

VIDEO: In addition to the

, a second look at the game via the MyNew32 TV broadcast, lots of a very exciting CF Brandon Diaz

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville Quiets Sox Offense In 2-0 Loss

Sounds Starter Stumps Sky Sox with Seven Innings of Two-Hit Ball

By Ed Pearsall / Colorado Springs Sky Sox

http://www.milb.com/assets/images/4/3/4/119331434/cuts/04_10_070_pk_gu38xc1t_ef7uwzpx.jpg

Elian Herrera collected three of the Sox four hits in Wednesday night's 2-0 loss in Nashville. (File Photo from prior game by Paat Kelly)

The Sky Sox could not solve Nashville pitching on Wednesday night in a 2-0 shutout loss to the Sounds before 5,359 fans at First Tennessee Park.

Right-handers Josh Roenicke (4-5, 4.75) and Nate Long (1-1, 3.09) dueled through seven tightly contested innings. Roenicke was the first and only pitcher to break in this battle of arms, allowing the only two runs of the ballgame in the home fourth. After easily retiring the first two batters of the frame, Roenicke would allow three consecutive hits. A double by Dayan Viciedo was followed by a Jason Pridie RBI single to give the Sounds 1-0 lead with two outs. The newly-acquired Jake Smolinski doubled Pridie home in the next at-bat to extend the Nashville lead to 2-0. Roenicke would retire the next batter to put an end to the frame but not before the Sounds could record the only runs they would need.

Long was brilliant in his second game since being called up from Double-A Midland, allowing just two hits and a walk to the Sox offense while striking out five over seven scoreless frames. Roenicke was nearly as good, allowing the two fourth inning runs on six hits while striking out five and walking none in 6.2 innings of work.

Michael Kirkman and Jaye Chapman finished off the game in relief of Roenicke with 1.1 combined shutout frames. Each reliever struck out one in their brief outings.

Righty relievers Arnold Leon and Ryan Cook pitched two total shutout frames to close out the Sky Sox, though Cook allowed two hits in a nail-biting ninth. One of the hits was surrendered to Elian Herrera who collected three of the Sox four hits in the ballgame. Matt Clark followed Herrera with a fly out to left, ending the 2-0 contest to give Nashville the win and Cook his seventh save of the season.

Colorado Springs hopes to get the offense back on track as they head into game three of this four-game series with the Sounds on Thursday night. Coming off a brilliant shutout performance in his last start, Hiram Burgos (1-0, 1.64) will lead the way against Nashville southpaw Sean Nolin (2-1, 2.67) with first pitch set for 6:05 PM MDT (7:05 Central) at First Tennessee Park.

Colorado Springs Box Score

Elian Herrera, batting 3rd as the DH here, had three of the Sky Sox' four hits, and Luis Sardinas (.305 OBP) drew the team's only walk.

Look, we all know who and what the 30-year-old switch-hitting Herrera is, but we must note that his not-so-small AAA sample size is now at 124 at-bat's and the dude's AAA line is .411/.463/.548 for a 1.012 OPS. Hello, Ted Williams!

There may be a few GM's kicking themselves on an earlier waiver claim. Most contenders have their own super-utility guys, but if Doug Melvin can sweeten a trade pot by including Herrera, then that'd be fine. Regardless, congrats to Elian for not sulking about his AAA status.

Colorado Springs Game Log

Too little, too late --

Col. Springs Top of the 9th

Pitching Change: Ryan Cook replaces Arnold Leon.

Yadiel Rivera lines out to second baseman Joey Wendle.

Kyle Wren singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Jake Smolinski.

Logan Schafer flies out to center fielder Craig Gentry.

Elian Herrera singles on a line drive to right fielder Jason Pridie. Kyle Wren to 3rd.

Matt Clark flies out to left fielder Jake Smolinski.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Also posted in our season-long Helena/Maryvale thread for archive purposes --

The Full Monte

Three-sport stalwart Harrison a rare athlete for Brewers

Ryan Collingwood, Helena Independent Record

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/helenair.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/8/7f/87ff758f-37f4-5e8d-8458-5db7c92c278c/55936dbe90507.image.jpg?resize=620%2C452

Helena Brewers outfielder Monte Harrison was a four-star football recruit who had signed with the University of Nebraska before deciding to pursue profesional baseball. Harrison, who was also a Division I basketball recruit, was picked by Milwaukee in the second round of the 2014 MLB Draft. Photo by Gary Marshall, Blackfoot Media Group

For the surplus of new acquisitions added to the Helena Brewers' roster over the last two weeks, there's been a rite of passage of sorts.

This isn't in the realm of a quirky initiation ritual, though. More of a swift tutorial about the club's 6-foot-3, 215-pound right fielder whose brawny physique suggests that baseball might not have always been his primary sport.

Huddled around an iPhone, the Brewers' newest additions are prompted to watch a pair of YouTube videos. The first shows their teammate, Monte Harrison, as a Kansas City prep basketball star putting on the kind of jaw-dropping display best suited for a dunk contest -- but in the flow of a game.

He could have bitten the rim with each crowd-pleasing flush.

That same speed, size and explosion are exhibited in the second video, which shows Harrison, a four-star wide receiver at Missouri Class 5 state champion Lee Summit West High, embarrassing defensive backs on various routes. When he wasn't streaking downfield, he was churning out yards as quarterback when his offense switched to the wildcat.

And, just like that, the Brewers' freshest faces knew they were teamed up with one of the most gifted all-around athletes in the country in Harrison, a second-round pick -- out of high school -- by Milwaukee in the 2014 MLB Draft.

The same Harrison who, as a sophomore, had already let a pair of NCAA Division I basketball coaches know he had no interest in pursuing the hardwood beyond high school. The same Harrison who was coveted by about every high-major football program in the country before signing a letter of intent with Nebraska, then ultimately deciding to go the professional baseball route.

"I've never seen anything like it," said Brewers shortstop Jake Gatewood, a revered athlete in his own right who was a first-round pick in the 2014 draft. "I've seen the guy jump up 40 inches in the air in flip flops."

Brewers manager Tony Diggs echoed Gatewood.

"You wish they were all athletes like (Harrison)," Diggs said. "He's something special. The thing about it is that he's a guy that has a lot of athletic ability straight across the board without you having to say anything to him. It's going to be good when he turns those tools into skills."

And that's why the five-tool Harrison finds himself in rural Montana -- to polish a set of skills that led him to an $1.8 million dollar signing bonus as an 18-year-old. But with the brand of athleticism that had the country's top college football coaches giving him in-home visits.

That's what makes Harrison an oddity in a sport like baseball, where meager size and athleticism can be atoned for with crisp tools and a cerebral approach -- one of the biggest reasons he chose metal cleats over rubber.

"I just the love the sport," said Harrison, an Under Armour Baseball All-American in 2014. "It's a challenge. You can come out here and be yourself. In the other sports you can't really be yourself without people making it a big deal. Baseball is a sport where it's a relaxed game, you have fun you get your work in and be done."

The sort of relaxation he was missing when he found himself on the fence a little more than a year ago trying to decide between an early start to his career or to sticking to his letter of intent to Nebraska where he would have played both football and baseball for the Huskers.

Former Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini, who expected Harrison to play as a true freshman, ran a full-court press in trying to sway his most athletic recruit away from pro baseball. It was for naught, though, and Harrison, who even after being relegated to the Pioneer League after a lackluster start at Single A ball in Appleton, Wisconsin, is still happy with his decision.

Much of that content has to do with the polarizing Pelini being fired from Nebraska last November.

"It was an eye-opener for me," Harrison said. "God always puts signs out there to let you know he is watching over you. I think I made the right decision."

The fiscal aspect of his decision didn't hurt, either. But Harrison, the 33rd-ranked receiver in the 2014 class by Scout.com who various scouts said had a chance to eventually play on Sundays, insists money didn't have a substantial role in his decision.

"Money is just an object to me," Harrison said. "Most people think it runs the world, but it actually doesn't. God has given me the ability to come out here and pick a sport he knew I was in love with. I knew I picked the right sport when some things happened at Nebraska and things here just fell into place."

Even if rookie ball in Helena wasn't in his initial plans.

After being demoted from the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, Harrison had a slow start for the Brewers, too, starting out the season going 1 for 19 at the plate. He's currently batting .167 (11 for 42), but has come on in the last five games with two home runs and a triple.

The 19-year-old is still raw, which is why he hopes to use his in time in Helena wisely and ascend up the organization's latter as quickly as possible.

"I have to come up here and suck it up and be a man just like everyone else," Harrison said. "Before I got here they said it would be good scenery, but I wouldn't have fun. But I didn't come here to have fun. I came here to get better."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Helena 10, Billings 9

Walkoff from Iskenderian makes Brewers 10-9 winners

Helena Brewers

The Helena Brewers (5-8) swept the Billings Mustangs (5-8) with a 10-9 win in walkoff fashion on Wednesday at Kindrick Field.

Offense dominated on both sides as the two teams combined for 27 hits on the night and 19 runs.

The Mustangs took the first lead with two runs in the first. Blake Trahan led off the second consecutive game with a single and scored later on the RBI triple of Aristides Aquino. Trahan went 2-for-4 with three runs scored.

George Iskenderian responded for the Brewers, blasting a three-run home run in the bottom of the first off Jacob Constante. The lefty struggled on the hill for the Mustangs, giving up four runs on five hits in four innings. Iskenderian would finish the night with five RBI.

Southpaw Jake Drossner made his first professional start for Helena, giving up two runs in two innings. He would not receive a decision.

The Mustangs rushed out to a 9-5 lead after back-and-forth scoring through the middle innings. The Brewers then mounted a furious comeback in the seventh, scoring four runs on three hits. Jose Cuas, Monte Harrison and Jake Gatewood all added doubles in the inning with Harrison and Gatewood each knocking in runs.

With a 9-9 tie heading to the bottom of the ninth, Steven Karkenny led off with a sharp double down the left field line. Iskenderian would be the next batter and would not miss on his first attempt at a walkoff hit. He smashed a liner down the right side to allow Karkenny to score.

Helena has now won consecutive games for the first time this season as part of the two-game sweep of the Mustangs.

They now head to face off against Billings again in a four-game set at Dehler Park. First pitch on Thursday is set for 7:05 PM (8:05 Central).

Helena Box Score

Pioneer League ballparks and pitching staffs - the perfect elixir for any slumping bats...

Billings actually outhit the H-Crew, 16-11.

Somehow 19-year-old LF Troy Stokes and his 1.206 (!) OPS eluded the game summary on a night when he homered (his 3rd), singled twice and walked.

First baseman Steven Karkenny doubled, walked twice, and scored three runs.

Jake Gatewood has eleven hits in his last seven games, and seven of those hits are doubles.

Helena Game Log

LHP's Jake Drossner and David Carver and RHP Joshua Torres didn't shine, but got their innings in, with Torres netting the win thanks to the walkoff.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: AZL Dodgers 4, AZL Brewers 0

Maryvale Box Score

Likely headed to Biloxi soon, recently signed RHP http://Derek Eitel, the former Diamondback farmhand just signed after his Arizona release, made his second appearance in three days.

AZL Dodgers Top of the 1st

Jared Walker doubles (2) on a line drive to right fielder Nicolas Pierre.

Erisbel Arruebarrena strikes out swinging.

Ariel Sandoval triples (1) on a line drive to center fielder Joantgel Segovia. Jared Walker scores.

Ibandel Isabel reaches on a fielder's choice out, shortstop Gilbert Lara to catcher Dustin Houle. Ariel Sandoval out at home.

With Gage Green batting, wild pitch by Derek Eitel, Ibandel Isabel to 2nd.

Gage Green lines out to center fielder Joantgel Segovia.

17-year-old Gentry Fortuno, the 18th round Florida high school pick, made his second pro appearance and first since his June 22nd debut, and pitched around a leadoff single in a scoreless inning.

Pretty sure I have Brewer T-shirts that are older than 17 years...

RHP David Lucroy followed up with a four-inning effort (3 R, 1 ER) and LHP Brad Kuntz, one of seven undrafted free agents signed in 2015, the largest such class in recent memory, tossed three scoreless.

The four pitchers combined to walk none and fan 12 (one HBP by Lucroy), impressive.

Maryvale Game Log

AZL Brewers on the wrong side of a perfect game with two out in the 9th inning...

BUT manage two hits (thank you Daniel Leonardo and Joantgel Segovia)! The two pitchers they faced tonight, rehabbing Zach Lee (23 years old) and Jairo Heredia (25 years old), have been in pro ball for a combined 14 years, so not exactly your typical AZL level hurlers.

AZL Brewers Bottom of the 9th

Jonathan Oquendo grounds out to first baseman Ibandel Isabel.

Yerald Martinez strikes out swinging.

Daniel Leonardo singles on a line drive to right fielder Gage Green.

Joantgel Segovia singles on a ground ball to right fielder Gage Green. Daniel Leonardo advances to 3rd, on a fielding error by right fielder Gage Green.

Mitch Ghelfi strikes out swinging.

First time in ten career games SS Gilbert Lara didn't get a base hit.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As also posted in our Transaction Thread --

How about this!:

Recently-turned 22-year-old 27th round Oklahoma State RHP Jon Perrin started his pro career with a no-hitter, effectively: over three outings, 9 IP, 0 H, 2 BB, 8 K.

Perrin was asked to complete this game with a 4th inning and was finally touched up, just a bit.

Hey, who needs Helena?

Perrin tweets he's heading out to join the Timber Rattlers.

Wow, congrats!

Archived