Brewer Fanatic

Peralta comes back, Jungmann goes...???

I see your point that dealing with adversity is usually something that builds character.

My understanding of pitching up there is that it's virtually impossible to throw breaking pitches consistently. So it's tough to improve them or know if what you're doing is working and whether it will translate to normal conditions. So you could be getting hit hard and you don't know if it's because the guy isn't any good or if the conditions are hurting him.

Which is why I don't understand why we have a team there...Seems like a horrible idea to put young guys in that situation. I hope we are gone from CS after that 2 year lease is up, just seems stupid.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see your point that dealing with adversity is usually something that builds character.

My understanding of pitching up there is that it's virtually impossible to throw breaking pitches consistently. So it's tough to improve them or know if what you're doing is working and whether it will translate to normal conditions. So you could be getting hit hard and you don't know if it's because the guy isn't any good or if the conditions are hurting him.

Which is why I don't understand why we have a team there...Seems like a horrible idea to put young guys in that situation. I hope we are gone from CS after that 2 year lease is up, just seems stupid.

The Brewers didn't really have a choice. After Nashville hung them out to dry Colorado Springs and some other place were the only spots left.

The Brewers didn't really have a choice. After Nashville hung them out to dry Colorado Springs and some other place were the only spots left.

Was there even another spot available? I thought we were the team that got caught without a chair when the music stopped.

Lets see. Lohse is 4-9 with a 6.28 ERA. He's got negative trade value at this point and even a couple decent starts before the All Star game isn't likely to change that.

Why not just release Lohse? Some team will no doubt take a chance on him for minimum salary, and the Brewers can use that minimal savings to pay Jungmann.

Knowing the Brewers, they'll send down Jungmann in the hopes Lohse has a run of good starts leading to the deadline and somebody will take him if the Brewers pick up half of his remaining salary and accept a low level minor league non-prospect. If not, Lohse will be released in August just as Wolf was in 2012.

I vote this. You Waive Lohse he become available to all teams and lets just say the Astros want him. What would they be 29th or 30th team to have a crack at claiming him? You maybe force these other teams to make their decision and claim him rather than hem and haw over should they or shouldn't they trade for him. Maybe best chance to dump his salary completely and do so in short time.

Peralta won't be on rehab for another few weeks. We likely won't see him in the rotation until mid-to-late August. Perhaps he should return as a reliever this year and return to starting next season.

This whole conversation is a bit premature. Wily Peralta just threw his first bullpen session. He still isn't expected to start a rehab assignment and even when that does happen he will need multiple starts. We are still looking at a good 15+days if everything goes right. Any set backs and this whole conversation may be pretty pointless. I would not be surprised if they let him take some extra rehab starts to hold things off either. Then again I thought they they would do that with Khris Davis, but they got him back quite quickly.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I really like what Jungmann's doing out there, but we must remember it's his first time through the league. Remember, guys like Cal Eldred and Steve Woodard (and Mike Fiers) were lights out their first time around as well. I'm not saying "send him down"...., but I'm really curious to see how Jungmann will perform once everyone has had a look at him.

How he fares his second time around is far more important (IMO) than how he looks his first time through the league.

I really like what Jungmann's doing out there, but we must remember it's his first time through the league. Remember, guys like Cal Eldred and Steve Woodard (and Mike Fiers) were lights out their first time around as well. I'm not saying "send him down"...., but I'm really curious to see how Jungmann will perform once everyone has had a look at him.

How he fares his second time around is far more important (IMO) than how he looks his first time through the league.

Cal Eldred is a bad example. He was an ace and had ace stuff until he hurt his elbow after throwing 258 innings in 93 and being on that same pace in 94 when he was still pitching with a sore elbow until he couldn't anymore.

Jungmann is going nowhere. The guy has both pitched great and the Brewers need to see what they have in him.

The guy was just decent in the minors so this is really something none of us were expecting. He is doing it game after game and its not like he has that "one" gimmick pitch or delivery that teams will figure out eventually. He is just pitching well game after game.

He is just one more thing about that season that is both exciting and frustrating at the same time.

No, Jungmann doesn't have an odd delivery or anything, but every pitcher is unique- and yes teams will figure him out once he faces the same team 2,3.4 times. Just ask Mike Fiers. He was nothing short of dominant when he first came up. Now he's someone I would call "worth having as the 5th starter for now." Not saying Jungmann will follow this same trajectory, just reminding people it's way too early to "crown him."

No, Jungmann doesn't have an odd delivery or anything, but every pitcher is unique- and yes teams will figure him out once he faces the same team 2,3.4 times. Just ask Mike Fiers. He was nothing short of dominant when he first came up. Now he's someone I would call "worth having as the 5th starter for now." Not saying Jungmann will follow this same trajectory, just reminding people it's way too early to "crown him."

I doubt anyone is crowning him. His body of work in the minors was underwhelming. He looks like Tom Seaver now and no one expects that to continue.

But he has nothing to prove at AAA, and especially in CS. Lets see what he has here and how he handles adjustments at the major league level.

Cal Eldred is a bad example. He was an ace and had ace stuff until he hurt his elbow after throwing 258 innings in 93 and being on that same pace in 94 when he was still pitching with a sore elbow until he couldn't anymore.

Eldred had a 1.79 ERA his first time around the league, and then a 4.01 ERA in 36 starts the very next year. He was a good pitcher who pitched brilliantly when nobody had seen him yet.

I don't think anyone expected him to continue to carry a sub-2.50 era

Jungmann either stays in the rotation upon Peralta's return, or he transitions into a long relief role until Lohse/Garza can be dealt to save his arm a few innings. No starting pitcher who's doing well deserves to be sent back to Colorado Springs.

If anything, Jungmann has at least showed that he belongs in the conversation of being a MLB-caliber starting pitcher, and that has to be a positive. Would've been great to have gotten an arm with a higher ceiling from that draft in Jungmann's spot, but then again we'd probably have been waiting for that arm to recover from Tommy John and hope he's the same.

You realize that Fier's second year (where he was "figured out") only lasted 22.1 IP due to his arm injury. Since then, he pitched 71.2 IP with an ERA of 2.13 last year and 94.0 IP with a 3.83 ERA this year. He is currently 30th in the NL in ERA and 27th in WAR among SPs that qualify.

He is a bit better than "a 5th SP for now".

Peralta's return is a bit slower than I originally anticipated. I wonder if that was intentional or just coincidence that he is slated to come back just after the trade deadline?

No way to move Jungmann down to AAA the way he has been pitching. Lohse to the BP makes the most sense. You still need to manage Garza for next year and he should rebound given his age. Lohse might have simply hit the end of the road.

You realize that Fier's second year (where he was "figured out") only lasted 22.1 IP due to his arm injury.

Don't forget, his mother was also terminally ill and passed away. 2013 wasn't "getting figured out"; it was physical and mental/psychological issues.

Like you said CheezWiz, he is at the least a solid #3 starter.

Archived