Brewer Fanatic

Astros interested in Lohse or Garza

Don't see Garza going anywhere even if he gets any interest. No team will trade for the whole contract and the Brewers aren't the kind of team to throw in money.

I could see the Brewers throwing in enough to get a trade done. I don't see them throwing in enough to get a decent prospect back.

As long as we have enough minor league arms with enough innings left on them to get us through this year, one of Lohse/Garza has to go, but I don't think I want both to go unless everyone is healthy.

If the Brewers are really rebuilding, getting rid of these two and getting back as much money as possible without losing any prospects is crucial. The team has to strip down as close to nil as it can as quick as it can to be competitive sooner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Boy, I've not been paying attention...

I was wondering why the Astros would want either of these pitchers. Then I saw they are in first place in their division. Nice turn around for that franchise. I knew they had a good young core, but I'm surprised to see them put it together so fast.

Boy, I've not been paying attention...

I was wondering why the Astros would want either of these pitchers. Then I saw they are in first place in their division. Nice turn around for that franchise. I knew they had a good young core, but I'm surprised to see them put it together so fast.

Exactly this. The Astros have no need for garbage. Keuchel is a stud, McCullers has held his own, McHugh has been up and down and Valasquez has been great for a guy jumping from AA. Feldman is coming back and he's a 4/5 at best. They've got the parts to go for Cueto or Kazmir (and I think he's the one ultimately, because he's from Houston), but if they're going for it this year, which I hope they do, they need good pitchers, not middle of the road pitchers who are either underperforming or on the downside of their career.....or both.

I saw a rumor that there was interest in Gomez by the Astros. I'm not quite sure why they would do that, because Marisnick, Springer and Rasmus are all capable of playing CF. And most of the time, those three have comprised the outfield. They either need to get Production from Carter or Singleton, and that will go a long way offensively. Correa coming up has been amazing. He's as good, if not better than advertised.

I saw a rumor that there was interest in Gomez by the Astros. I'm not quite sure why they would do that, because Marisnick, Springer and Rasmus are all capable of playing CF. And most of the time, those three have comprised the outfield. They either need to get Production from Carter or Singleton, and that will go a long way offensively. Correa coming up has been amazing. He's as good, if not better than advertised.

Carter is a bum currently, but has upside. He's the kind of guy we should be targeting if they really do want a guy like Garza or Lohse. Sure he'll never be anything special, but he's a guy with power that can fill the void at 1B for a couple years until the long term solution is ready. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and he figures it all out too.

Singleton is better yet, but I don't know the Stros well enough to know how fed up they are with him. He's a possible long term 1B solution at 23 years old.

Carter is a bum currently, but has upside. He's the kind of guy we should be targeting if they really do want a guy like Garza or Lohse. Sure he'll never be anything special, but he's a guy with power that can fill the void at 1B for a couple years until the long term solution is ready. Maybe we catch lightning in a bottle and he figures it all out too.

Singleton is better yet, but I don't know the Stros well enough to know how fed up they are with him. He's a possible long term 1B solution at 23 years old.

Carter can either crush the ball, or spectacularly strike out. Branyanesque in that way. I've seen it firsthand. Singleton was basically handed first last year, and couldn't hit his way out of a paper bag. I'm hoping he figures it out. I just can't see the Astros being remotely interested in Lohse or Garza. They're looking for winners, not gutty gamers or gutsy battlers.

Chris Carter has at least a 100 OPS+ all of the last 3 seasons....far far from a bum. Strikeout galore, but still puts up some numbers.

That being said I don't see adding him with a growing salary. Wouldn't make a lot of sense on a rebuilding team.

Exactly this. The Astros have no need for garbage. Keuchel is a stud, McCullers has held his own, McHugh has been up and down and Valasquez has been great for a guy jumping from AA. Feldman is coming back and he's a 4/5 at best. They've got the parts to go for Cueto or Kazmir (and I think he's the one ultimately, because he's from Houston), but if they're going for it this year, which I hope they do, they need good pitchers, not middle of the road pitchers who are either underperforming or on the downside of their career.....or both.

The problem is that McCullers and Velasquez are going to run into innings limits in August, especially Velasquez since he was hurt and missed half the season last year and the first month of this year. Then what?

The appeal of Lohse is that they won't have to give up much to get him. I don't know that they mortgage the future this year, with their core being so young. Garza being signed for two more years is a non-rental, unlike Cueto and Kazmir, who could be gone after the season.

Astros just put George Springer on DL with broken wrist. Maybe the Brewers could package Lohse with Parra and get back a decent AA pitcher, say lefty Brian Holmes. I think the only way they can dump some of Lohse's salary is to include him in a package deal.

Astros just put George Springer on DL with broken wrist. Maybe the Brewers could package Lohse with Parra and get back a decent AA pitcher, say lefty Brian Holmes. I think the only way they can dump some of Lohse's salary is to include him in a package deal.

I just saw that. If there's anyone on the Brewers roster I would want to have on the Astros to replace George, it would be Gomez. But they've got some good young guys and Rasmus and Marisnick are almost back, so I bet for the short term, they'll stick with the guys they've got.

One of Lohse or Garza needs to be gone by time Wily is back. Jungmann has been the best and most consistent pitcher, then Fiers, Wily and Jimmy are locked in.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I wonder if they are willing to play Gattis or Carter out there anymore. Gattis has logged 20 innings in the OF this year and Carter has not played any.

LF of either Gattis or Carter with Marisnick/Rasmus CF platoon and Tucker/Santana RF platoon is serviceable, I guess. Parra would probably help but I'm not sure how much.

I wonder if they are willing to play Gattis or Carter out there anymore. Gattis has logged 20 innings in the OF this year and Carter has not played any.

LF of either Gattis or Carter with Marisnick/Rasmus CF platoon and Tucker/Santana RF platoon is serviceable, I guess. Parra would probably help but I'm not sure how much.

A coat rack with a glove taped to it could play a passable LF in Minute Maid.

I think Parra would be a great get for them. Gomez is going to cost more than they should be willing to give up at this point in their rebuild.

Gomez is going to cost more than they should be willing to give up at this point in their rebuild.

Rebuild? Last time I checked, the Astros are leading the AL west, halfway through the season. I wouldn't say they're in a rebuild. In fact, when it comes to prospects, they're loaded. Daz Cameron, the 37th pick in the draft, was ranked high by many scouts. They're stocked. They could give up pieces. And the Brewers need a ton of pieces. The Brewers need a trade with the Astros more than the Astros need a trade with the Brewers.

Gomez is going to cost more than they should be willing to give up at this point in their rebuild.

Rebuild? Last time I checked, the Astros are leading the AL west, halfway through the season. I wouldn't say they're in a rebuild. In fact, when it comes to prospects, they're loaded. Daz Cameron, the 37th pick in the draft, was ranked high by many scouts. They're stocked. They could give up pieces. And the Brewers need a ton of pieces. The Brewers need a trade with the Astros more than the Astros need a trade with the Brewers.

They haven't won anything yet, hence, rebuild. They are on the upswing. There is no reason to start trading young guys at this point.

Khris Davis would be the perfect left fielder for the Astros. That short wall would help his bad arm. Package him with Lohse or Garza and get a decent return.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Khris Davis would be the perfect left fielder for the Astros. That short wall would help his bad arm. Package him with Lohse or Garza and get a decent return.

The Astros don't need a LF. Springer plays RF. He's out.they've got Tucker and Rasmus to play left. In the minors they have L.J. Hoes and Alex Pressley (who was called up to replace Springer). Domingo Santana has been good, too. He's another young guy. They've got plenty of guys. They need another top flight starter and production for first base. They should get that from Carter or Singleton.

I've said it before, Houston would be quite dumb to trade away any of their prized young prospects this very first year of seeing success. None from their top 15 team prospects should be available in trade. Their FAs to be are Colby Rasmus, Chad Qualls if option isn't picked up, Roberto Hernandez, Tony Sipp, and Joe Thatcher. Then you are looking at Scott Feldman, Luis Valbuena, and Jason Castro the following season. Neshek has to turn in to Broxton to not pick up his option.

There isn't One single AS in that group the team will be losing. To make any sort of quality trades, they will be losing AS potential in return for rentals? The owner should fire the GM if he ends up trading away any top 10 team prospect at complete lack of future vision. Unless its for Multiple years of a quality SP but certainly not a rental.

I've said it before, Houston would be quite dumb to trade away any of their prized young prospects this very first year of seeing success. None from their top 15 team prospects should be available in trade. Their FAs to be are Colby Rasmus, Chad Qualls if option isn't picked up, Roberto Hernandez, Tony Sipp, and Joe Thatcher. Then you are looking at Scott Feldman, Luis Valbuena, and Jason Castro the following season. Neshek has to turn in to Broxton to not pick up his option.

There isn't One single AS in that group the team will be losing. To make any sort of quality trades, they will be losing AS potential in return for rentals? The owner should fire the GM if he ends up trading away any top 10 team prospect at complete lack of future vision. Unless its for Multiple years of a quality SP but certainly not a rental.

Yes. I could see them trading for a pitcher, but I could just as much see them stand pat. However, they've got a lot of guys at AA and AAA that could lead to 40 man issues come the offseason, so if they can package a couple for lower level guys and/or a stud pitcher, it's possible.

Archived