Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 2)

lcbj68c
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I look at it this way. What if Milwaukee never had an NBA franchise? One day the Mayor gets a call from, say, the Hornets. They are interested in moving to Milwaukee, but need a new arena built. It gets better. The Owners will pay half the price tag, AND help coordinate an entire entertainment district in an area of Milwaukee that has been dormant for decades.

That would be a screaming headline, and everyone would be excited. The city and county would be nuts not to jump all over that and get it done ASAP.

But, as it stands, the Bucks are taken for granted and there is no vision by anyone to see the massive benefits to Milwaukee beyond basketball. There was nothing wrong with Walker's plan, yet I can see how upstate legislators would want involvement from the city and county- afterall that's who benefits the most.

I look at it this way. What if Milwaukee never had an NBA franchise? One day the Mayor gets a call from, say, the Hornets. They are interested in moving to Milwaukee, but need a new arena built. It gets better. The Owners will pay half the price tag, AND help coordinate an entire entertainment district in an area of Milwaukee that has been dormant for decades.

That would be a screaming headline, and everyone would be excited. The city and county would be nuts not to jump all over that and get it done ASAP.

But, as it stands, the Bucks are taken for granted and there is no vision by anyone to see the massive benefits to Milwaukee beyond basketball. There was nothing wrong with Walker's plan, yet I can see how upstate legislators would want involvement from the city and county- afterall that's who benefits the most.

When the topic of new stadium development gets studied by neutral organizations, it's graded out as neutral or a net negative for the community/ies it's in basically every time. That's not to say that there isn't a positive impact, but generally speaking, the money doesn't tend to balance out. Now this case with the Bucks might be unique, since there are potentially many non-public funding sources. But the entity that benefits most from a new stadium is the team that owns it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When the topic of new stadium development gets studied by neutral organizations, it's graded out as neutral or a net negative for the community/ies it's in basically every time.

In this case though the taxpayers aren't footing the entire bill. There is at least $250 million in private donations pledged. There should be more once naming rights are sold. So right there about 60% of the arena cost is covered. There is also the fact, and it is a fact, that the Bucks will leave without an arena and along with them goes their income tax (which I believe is estimated at about $7-$8 million a year now and is supposedly going to go up with the NBA's new TV contract) which would be a hit to state taxpayers. Depending on which plan the State goes with taxpayers shouldn't suffer too badly. The City and County will be the big beneficiaries though as any additional private development will pay millions in property taxes (assuming the city and/or county doesn't piss that money away by handing out TIF district's to anyone who wants one).

As it stands the land the this proposal sits on is massively, massively underused. I think anything that gets this amount of development there is a good thing, even if not all of it is taxable.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I still don't quite get why Walker's plan can't cover the remaining cost of the arena. Why did they have to do the bonding thing?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Walker plan would have covered the remaining cost. It did assume a certain increase in player salaries over the course of so many years though (thus a larger amount of taxes paid). I think upstate politicians would like to see Milwaukee to invest more in the arena than donating a parking structure, since they will be the municipality that benefits most, especially after seeing how much milwaukee is investing in the street car.

I still don't quite get why Walker's plan can't cover the remaining cost of the arena. Why did they have to do the bonding thing?

Walker's plan can. The bonding thing hasn't happened, since Walker's plan would need to be approved by the state legislature, and that's not going to happen as things stand today. It's politics. State representatives in Green Bay, Lacrosse, Superior, etc. don't see any benefit for their districts back home, so they have nothing to lose by going against this, while if they voted for it they fear the wrath of the folks back home. That's why they want the city/county to kick in more, so they have more cover when they vote yes for any state funding.

Bucks write-up in Simmons article today, gives a good idea why MKE can't let the Bucks leave.

Milwaukee Bucks (38-40)

Here’s what the Bucks are showing us: We’re young, we’re long, we’re loaded with upside, we’re a ***** to play, we can defend anyone, and we’re headed for bigger and better things. I love everything about what’s happening here, and when Jabari Parker comes back, even better. They could absolutely topple Toronto in Round 1. Don’t be shocked.

Allow me a quick Giannis Antetokounmpo tangent: He’s been celebrated on the Internet for months if only because few things are more fun in 2015 than a freak NBA athlete with (a) a great nickname, (b) a ton of promise, and © a style that translates easily to Twitter, Vine and YouTube. Nobody knows where this is going. He’s only 20. But I’ve seen enough “Milwaukee clears out for Giannis because he’s feeling it” quarters to justify making the following comparison without feeling like a maniac:

I attended a slew of Celtics games in the late 1990s because my father (who paid for our tickets) hated watching Rick Pitino and Antoine Walker and never wanted to go. I watched Young T-Mac on Toronto in person probably six or seven times. As a rookie, he looked totally lost. During Year 2 and the first half of Year 3, he looked like a safe bet to be the Robin to Vince’s Batman — the second banana, the defensive stopper, the guy who could carry your offense when Batman was out, Vince’s own personal Pippen. Then, I remember seeing the Raptors after the 2000 All-Star break and T-Mac just looking different. You might remember this game because Vince drained a buzzer-beating 3 to win it:

But I remember leaving it thinking, Holy crap, T-Mac is gonna be ridiculously good. Suddenly he could handle the ball, shoot 3s, bounce off people in traffic, quick-jump over people for rebounds, defend anyone he wanted … I mean, you could just SEE it. You know what’s really crazy? Because the Internet lost its mind about two years ago, somehow there’s an edited YouTube clip of every good thing T-Mac did in this totally random game:

Here’s the point: T-Mac averaged only 15.4 points with 45-28-71 percent splits that season. His points-per-game for his next three years in Orlando: 26.8, 25.6, 32.1. Everyone knew we were headed for good things with T-Mac in Boston that night, but nobody knew we were headed for THAT. During Durant’s rookie year in Seattle, the same freakish pieces were in place, only it seemed a little more conceivable that a mega-blossoming was coming because of his pedigree. With Giannis, it’s a little more under-the-radar — like it was with T-Mac in Year 2. He’s like a Durant/T-Mac scoring fetus. I can see it. How he bounces off people in traffic, how he gets his shot off from crazy angles, how he explodes to the rim, how he gets good shots off even when his opponent is playing perfect defense. I’m telling you, real stuff is happening here — glimpses, pieces, flashes, but real stuff. In his second year, Giannis isn’t even scoring 13 points a game. I bet that doubles within three years. I know they don’t sell Bucks stock, but buy it anyway.

Personally I would be happy if Gainnis could average 20 ppg/8 reb/4 ast to go along with Parker (20 ppg) and Middleton (15 ppg). This is a young and athletic top three to build around. If MCW can develop into a solid facilitator and we can find a solid center to protect the lane this team will consistently start making deep runs in the playoffs.

Giannis is automatic from beyond the FT line out front...every time he drains one of those jumpers it looks prettier and prettier to me. Should lock him up for as long as possible right now so the question of him leaving isn't even in the equation IMO.

Giannis is automatic from beyond the FT line out front...every time he drains one of those jumpers it looks prettier and prettier to me. Should lock him up for as long as possible right now so the question of him leaving isn't even in the equation IMO.

This isn't baseball. You can't extend first rounders on their rookie deals until after year 4, then they are restricted free agents and the Bucks have the right to match any deal that is thrown at him. Giannis isn't going anywhere.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Where be the MC-W haters now? 15-67 to 40-40 with 2 remaining DESPITE not having Jabari Parker is one hell of an accomplishment. Bucks should be proud of themselves, and so should us fans. No need to rest on that though, lets give those Raptors (or Bulls) a competitive series and maybe pull an upset.

IDK; The Bucks were above .500 when they traded for MCW. His Shooting percentage is up a bit in MIL but he is still shooting 15% from 3. Turnovers are down but the assist to turnover ratio still sucks. I get why they made the trade but I think the team this year is definitely better with Knight than MCW. As far as the long term goes; lets see what happens when Kidd gets to work with MCW for a full year. Of course assuming that Kidd doesn't take the success in MIL and move on to bigger and better things.

Yea I'm not really sure where the MCW comment comes from. My best guess would be that he has seemed to play fairly well the last 6 games or so and seems to just be fitting in better now. Not surprisingly the team has been playing a little better lately as opposed to right after the trade. They could easily win 2 games vs Tor and make this interesting, much rather see them than the Bulls, the arena would be 70% Bulls fans.

Pretty easy to see their record with Knight, and their record since the trade with MCW. They were definitely a better team with Knight. Plus, Sova has really come on the last few weeks. If it wasn't for that, I wonder how many games they would have won.

Again, I get why they made the trade, but that did not make them a better team THIS year in any way, shape, or form.

Pretty easy to see their record with Knight, and their record since the trade with MCW. They were definitely a better team with Knight. Plus, Sova has really come on the last few weeks. If it wasn't for that, I wonder how many games they would have won.

Again, I get why they made the trade, but that did not make them a better team THIS year in any way, shape, or form.

They weren't losing because they traded Knight. They were losing because Mayo, Dudley and Ersan were all hurt at the same time. They went from the best bench in the league to what would've been the worst in the league for 3 weeks.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

They weren't losing because they traded Knight. They were losing because Mayo, Dudley and Ersan were all hurt at the same time. They went from the best bench in the league to what would've been the worst in the league for 3 weeks.

I don't know about that. Irsan missed a stretch of games earlier this season too. At the same time Henson was out. Plus, Knight had to adjust to losing Parker, whole saga with Larry, and they were juggling the rotation on the fly every night. Pretty sure Mayo missed a few games back then, Pachulia too.

MCW has been playing better, but he had some really awful games- regardless of who else was available that night, he was just bad. I hope he plays well in the playoffs, that will be the deciding factor in whether they can upset Toronto/Chicago in the first round.

now that the logos are official, i must say I am a fan.

THe bucks went with a very retro look without recycling their old logos, fonts etc.

While i have a good idea on how the uniforms will look, it will be interesting to see how they look and I reserve judgement until they are shown.

the uniforms will be good i think. I am assuming they will have cream home jerseys and green roads, with block lettering. Will be interesting to see what the bucks do with the sides (would like to see something similar to MU with blue, cream and green stripes).

Also green and cream looks very good together.

Archived