Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 2)

lcbj68c
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if a new arena is not built the NCAA tournament committee will remove Milwaukee as a host city for the tournament. That will be a bigger loss than the Bucks moving out of Milwaukee.

Hosting of the tourney games isn't tied to a new arena if that is what you are getting at. Pretty sure that isn't why they got the bid in the first place.

You are right but they could eliminate Milwaukee because of the facilities being subpar.

A new arena wouldn't hurt for keeping Milwaukee in the rotation as being a host city for the tournament.

A new arena might be able to get them the ability to host the regional final some day which would be really nice for the city.

I wonder if a new arena is not built the NCAA tournament committee will remove Milwaukee as a host city for the tournament. That will be a bigger loss than the Bucks moving out of Milwaukee.

Bigger loss to you personally, or Milwaukee in general? Because losing the NCAA tourney once every 4 or 5 years is nowhere close to the impact of losing an NBA franchise by any measure.

Besides, Milwaukee would still get the Tourney if they played the games at the Arena. The games are always sell-outs, with an enthusiastic crowd. Way better site than most early round games.

So losing an event that's hosted in Milwaukee once every 4-5 of years is a bigger deal than losing an NBA franchise? A franchise that brings in millions in income tax to the state's coffers every year? Or puts little old Milwaukee on the map in Chinese and European countries? The NBA brand is a lot bigger and lucrative than many people are giving it credit for. When people watch a tournament game, how many even realize or care what city the event is in? I understand that the Bucks have been crap for years, but for the sake of Milwaukee, this is something worth fighting for.

They are struggling to get support for just a simple $500mil arena so naturally something 2x more expensive is being thrown around? From the looks of it there is no chance the public considers helping so where exactly would $500mil come from?

Yeah I took it as the various other developments would be financed separately and would be completed in phases; of course it wouldn't surprise if those developments do ask for some sort of city assistance when their time comes though. Maybe a TIF.

The first project picture does look pretty damn cool. As a 10-12 year development I doubt the final result looks anything like what it looks like right now but the arena looks pretty nice.

From the looks of it there is no chance the public considers helping so where exactly would $500mil come from?

I would have to think the Bucks are kicking in more money if they expect a practice facility to be built in addition to the arena. I'd love to see a Wisconsin Sports Museum put up where the BC is now, or somewhere in the park east area at least. And at least one 400+ room hotel.

The renderings and idea looks great but until a solid funding plan gets in place, it's not going anywhere. Reading the Journal Sentinel, it feels like every government employee is creating their own different way to help pay for the arena.

I'll make a prediction right now that if the City doesn't step up this isn't going to happen. Mayor Barrett essentially stated that the City's contribution is going to be giving up a parking structure, giving up some land that they haven't been able to develop, and fixing up some streets. That's not going to cut it when he's simultaneously supporting a plan in which state taxpayers fork over $220 million in bonds. I think ultimately the lower, $150 million state proposal is what will go through. So add that to the $100 million pledged from Kohl and $150 million from the owners and you about $100 million short of what the arena will cost. Considering the major winners from this deal are the City, and to a lesser extent the County, I think it's fair that they cover the balance. I also think the city would be wise to hold off on the street car project and make sure it is tied into this new development.

One thing that I've been wondering about though. Naming rights for the new arena could fetch, I'd guess, $40-$50 million. Why is that never included in the funding details?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Great idea but it's Milwaukee and I have a feeling someone is going to ruin it.

Robin Vos most likely

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At the risk of getting this conversation too political, I think Vos and Fitzgerald's financing plan is more reasonable than Walker's. Don't get me wrong, if Walker's plan was the only plan I'd still support it but I think $150 million in state taxpayer money is much fairer to taxpayers statewide than Walker's plan of $220 million.

The fact is the big winner in this deal, other than the Bucks of course, is the City of Milwaukee. They are the ones who'd get all the tax money from the proposed arena-related development. Yet all Mayor Barrett has offered up so far is basically a city owned parking structure that can be torn down, some undeveloped land in the park east which isn't collecting any tax money right now, and some street/utility improvements. I think Vos and Fitzgerald have every right in the world to ask for a bigger donation from the city and county (and this is a city taxpayer speaking here). We're talking about a half billion dollar plan and all the city is offering is $25 million. It's not like that's all cash either. The total includes the value of the parking structure. But that value is meaningless as the structure is just going to be torn down.

Out of curiosity, why is the area north of the Bradley Center on Google maps marked as "Harley Davidson Arena" ?

Google is crowd sourced. Anyone can add markers which then get approved if there is not currently a marker in that area.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At the risk of getting this conversation too political, I think Vos and Fitzgerald's financing plan is more reasonable then Walker's. Don't get me wrong, if Walker's plan was the only plan I'd still support it but I think $150 million in state taxpayer money is much fairer to taxpayers statewide than Walker's plan of $220 million.

The fact is the big winner in this deal, other than the Bucks of course, is the City of Milwaukee. They are the ones who'd get all the tax money from the proposed arena-related development. Yet all Mayor Barrett has offered up so far is basically a city owned parking structure that can be torn down, some undeveloped land in the park east which isn't collecting any tax money right now, and some street/utility improvements. I think Vos and Fitzgerald have every right in the world to ask for a bigger donation from the city and county (and this is a city taxpayer speaking here). We're talking about a half billion dollar plan and all the city is offering is $25 million. It's not like that's all cash either. The total includes the value of the parking structure. But that value is meaningless as the structure is just going to be torn down.

here's the thing...Walker sold his plan as not having a burden on the taxpayers. If that's the case, then why does Milwaukee have to kick in more money?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

here's the thing...Walker sold his plan as not having a burden on the taxpayers. If that's the case, then why does Milwaukee have to kick in more money?

Walker's plan was just that. A plan. It was never passed by the legislature and the legislature never really got behind it. So to say "well Walker said his plan wouldn't burden taxpayers" I guess my response would be "so what?" The plan seems to be DOA right now. On the other hand, both leaders of the Senate and Assembly seem to be behind the other plan, as is Walker. So that is a more realistic option. And it also gets into the argument I'd make. If the city is going to be the main beneficiary then why can't they contribute more? I mean seriously, a parking structure that is going to be torn down and some road and utility work? That's what you're going to contribute to a plan that is touting not only a $500 million arena but $500 million in additional development, development that will pay taxes to you? This is why people in the suburbs can't stand the City. The city leaders just expect that all the major projects that benefit mainly them (the deep tunnel, the streetcar, Miller Park, the new arena) will be paid for by someone else. And then if people say no they are accused of being "anti-Milwaukee". I think it's fair to ask the city and the county to each contribute $50 million. That's still significantly less that the state would be contributing and if the plan is as good as advertised the additional tax revenue should help make up for whatever they contribute.

For the record, I think if anyone is going to screw this up it will be Milwaukee County. I have never seen a more dysfunctional group of people in my life. Unless the County Board gets exactly what they want they will veto any other plan.

So what is the deal with Kidd completely benching Giannis last night? He refused to give a reason and he isn't hurt. I have never heard of any attitude problems or anything like that and Giannis had no idea why he didn't play. Kidd refused to say anything, seems pretty messed up to me. Giannis is clearly one of the Bucks best players. If he just wanted to rest him that's fine; but I don't see the harm in just coming out and saying that.

At the risk of getting this conversation too political, I think Vos and Fitzgerald's financing plan is more reasonable then Walker's. Don't get me wrong, if Walker's plan was the only plan I'd still support it but I think $150 million in state taxpayer money is much fairer to taxpayers statewide than Walker's plan of $220 million.

because the #1 beneficiary is Milwaukee. Doesn't make sense for a politician in Stout to have to explain to his constituents on why he voted for a new arena in Milwaukee when Milwaukee didn't help at all, especially after they spent 150 million on a street car.

That being said, I really did like the Walker plan, but if the state legislature won't pass it, everyone needs to figure out a way to get it done and soon. time to everyone to put political differences aside and figure out a way that everyone agrees to.

I was just going to ask about Giannis as well. I only watched the last few minutes last night and didn't think anything of him not being out there but then saw today about just a random benching. If it was just rest for the playoffs he would've said it. My guess would be a minor discipline thing like he was late for shootaround and Kidd doesn't want to 'throw him under the bus' by saying that to the media. Who knows though, I hope there's no rift between the two because he's the future of the team.

Archived