Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2014 - 2015 (part 2)

lcbj68c

Aldridge isn't leaving Portland for MKE. If he leaves he's going to a contender (Cle if Love leaves, San Antonio, etc.) or back home to Dallas.

To me Lopez is the type of guy who will put up numbers on teams that don't win anything, doesn't hasn't have the intangibles and do the gritty things. somehow he's 7ft and gets 6 rebounds a game. Factor in huge injury risk (foot problems have historically been big problems for big men) and to me it comes down to price and/or years of the deal. If he's going to need 4/60 no way I want him. 3/30, yea why not. Also, blocks are a hugely misleading stat. Lopez is considered a brutal defender, terrible on pick/roll etc..

I think the person point regarding Parker and Giannis was that they're just going to be shooting more going forward, therefore there won't be shots left for someone like Lopez. Not saying I agree, just saying what I think he meant.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Although this is the time of year for rumors, this one may have some legs. Reports out there saying Brook Lopez will opt out of the last year of hos contract, and the Bucks are one of the teams he's interested in.

Gasp. Free Agent interested in one of the few teams with a ton of money to spend under the cap!

No desire for Lopez. Bucks don't need an offensive C. They are about to get a better Giannis back next year, and a guy who should be taking 10+ shots per game in Jabari Parker as well.

There are reasons NOT to do this, but saying you don't want a center that can score 20 a game isn't a very good reason.

There are only so many shots to go around in a basketball game. I would prefer those shots not go to a 15 foot jumper shooting C who doesn't rebound well and doesn't play very good defense.

I'd prefer they go to the 2 21 year olds, and 2 23 year olds who make up the core of the team going forward.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I thought Zaza was adequate for what the team was trying to do this year. I wouldn't mind seeing Asik if he is available. Unfortunately, the prototype C for this team would be a Larry Sanders. If Minnesota drafts big, I would be happy to try and steal Dieng from them.

With what Kidd is doing, I think they benefit more from spending money on a sharp shooter, than a big.

obviously the bucks will have to change their plans as they were planning on having Larry Sanders fill the role that Lopez would. The bucks were pushed around in the playoff series. I just wouldn't give 17 million+ to a guy who is rather soft. Zaza fills in well but isn't much of an offensive threat.

That's what's so frustrating, they had the exact player they needed in Sanders and he was signed at a reasonable 10mil cost for four more years. 15mil+ per year for Lopez, no thanks. If he gives a bargain you have to consider it, but I doubt he'll do that since this is probably his last payday because of his foot problems, and he knows it.

I'm worried about signing anyone else to $10MM plus, including Middleton. If you look at the roster construction 5 years from now, they will have Giannis and Parker at max contracts most likely. You still need a PG and Center. I know the cap is supposed to go way up, but all that does is create more cap space for everybody.

Look at every great team in the history of the NBA. They either had (have) someone who can control the game with the ball in his hands, or a dominant post player- or both. Giannis and Parker are neither. Middleton doesn't fit that description either. All three are very talented, and will probably get better. But none of them are "give me the ball and I can dominate" type of guys. Someone who can knock down a 3, or drive and score.

So how do you keep all those guys, then save a max contract for a guy can do that? I don't have the answer, but this is the way they need to be thinking moving forward.

If the Bucks are going to be legit title contenders one of Parker and Giannis will need to be the type you're describing, possibly both of them. If they don't progress to that level, we're not winning anything anyway. Have to remember they're 20 yr olds right now. Giannis has the ballhandling and playmaking ability already, just needs to learn how to shoot and he's the guy you're talking about. It's not crazy that Giannis could be a 6'11 Westbrook type attacker. Jabari is a huge unknown after the injury.

Also, there should be no fear in locking Middleton into whatever he needs right now. His deal will only be 4 years and we have no big contracts right now. Two years from now the cap will go up 40-50%, so that 13 mil he'll be getting will be what we view as like 8mil these days. When Giannis and Jabari (possibly MCW) need to get paid his deal will be coming to an end. If he's not producing or not living up to it you just let him go, if he's good, you're happy and try to win the title, even if you go over the cap.

How long will they be with Bucks? If they can be gone after four or five years, why should the common fan gain hope of a great future?

I know MLB rules/contract info.... Just starting to learn NBA.

Help needed for some clarifications, please.

1st round pick rookies sign a 4 year deal; after that they are restricted free agents which the bucks have the ability to match. This means that Giannis will be restricted in 2 years and Jabari in 3. It would be up to the bucks to match any free agent offer.

The other thing is, the current team has the option to offer an extra 5th year guaranteed, which other teams cannot do.

There is no reason to believe that Giannis or Parker won't be a Buck for the next 7 years, at least.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Right, they have plenty of time to put a winning team around these guys and establish a winning team here so both want to stay. If they start winning I don't see why they wouldn't stay, Parker is from Chicago so somewhat local and Giannis seems to love how the city has embraced him and his family. And if the Bucks treat him right going forward he should have some loyalty for them drafting him and bringing him over right away.

First things first, they need to step and become starts.

Have to be realistic, no way he's coming here. So many contenders have money if he were to leave LAC. Clips can offer 5 years and like 110mil, he'd be an idiot not to take that as other teams can probably only offer around 4/80ish. Three years from now when we're theoretically contenders, this would be the type of thing to get over the hump. Personally, I wouldn't want to spend 20mil on a guy who can't make a FT and therefore can't play at crunch time. Tyson Chandler money, yes, max salary, no thanks.

Just realized typos in my last post in this thread, 'step up and become stars'

So..... in 3 years, when Parker is restricted FA, if he gets a 3 year offer, Bucks can match and Parker stays with the Bucks for three more years or would it just be one year at the avg rate per year of the offered deal?

For clarity of the Free agency rules, how about if multiple teams offer, some offering a shorter deal and others a bit longer for Parker, do the Bucks have to match the best one? How is the best one determined? If one is 3 years for 17 million a year and the other is 15 a year for 4 years, what is the deal the Bucks have to match?

How about if Parker is not offered a contract from another team and the Bucks cannot get him signed to a long term deal after his first four years with the team I read that if this plays out, the Bucks could have him for another year, sort of on their terms, with a percent salary increase, for one more year. Then, however, he could hit FA as unrestricted. If this is true, wouldn't it be in the Bucks best interests to get another team to offer a long contract so the Bucks could match it after Parker's first four years?

If someone could indulge me and set me straight with all of these questions. I would appreciate it.... Thanks.

It's for however long he signs the deal. If it's 3 years, the deal is 3 years. If it's 4, he's signed for 4. Parker would go through the offers, pick the one he wants and the Bucks would match that offer.

Saw an interesting trade suggestion on a Wizards site this morning.

Ersan + Mayo for Nene and Dajuan Blair

Not sure what I think about this. Nene would give us a post presence we don't have, but I'm not sure he is a Kidd guy. His issues are health and motor, and not sure he could play in Kidd's defense. Blair would be some extra bulk. Salaries match up.

I'm rather indifferent to Ilyasova, I think he is replacable. I really liked Mayo as our 6th man. I think that is the best role for him. I think it would be harder to replace his production.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't want to give up Mayo. The team lacks shooting and scoring so much and that trade would be moving two of only 3 pt threats they have. I get moving Ersan for a C though, maybe throw in that clippers late first rounder and a second instead of including mayo. I think Nene has one more year left on his deal than Ersan (but I could be wrong), so Wiz would be saving some money and freeing up more for the Durant offseason.

MN getting the #1. They will have a solid core put together if Towns pans out. Bucks vs Wolves finals in say 2019 or 2020. NBA would love that...

I would really dislike that trade. Nene is 32 going on 33; 'sova is 28 and Mayo is 27, and that's 23ppg that would need to be replaced. And for the season, Nene averaged 5.1 rebounds per game; 'sova averaged 4.8, so I don't see much improvement there. All good NBA teams have a scorer coming off the bench, and I think Mayo fits that well. I also think that Mayo is one of the few guys who showed fight against the Bulls, and I think he's really responded to Kidd's coaching. He grew into a leader this past season, and the young Bucks need one on the team.

I'm open to trading those guys, but not for someone who will be 33 next season. And since Mayo is only 27, I'd rather sign him to a reasonable 2-3 year extension than trade him for someone well past 30.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree that Mayo is only one of the 3 pt threats they have, but he isn't untradeable... He only has one year left. I'd certainly rather keep the 1st rounder (or use it as move-up trade bait in the draft) than burn it in this trade instead of Mayo.

Yea I'm by no means a nene fan. seemed like he could barely get on the floor in the playoffs. his body might be just crumbling as he's hitting that age. I'd rather ride out the current route than try to do something like this in order lock in a low playoff seed next year. I want to shoot for the title in a few years, don't really care too much about playoffs next year. other than it would be a bad sign that the young guys haven't developed if they don't make it. I'd rather use that pick and/or mayo to move up to get someone like CAuley-stine if his background/personality stuff checks out. he's the type of C we need, yea he could flop but he has the upside to be a Chandler type.

Archived