Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 2)

If in the end the Brewers don't give ARam away (if they have to by paying whatever of his salary) then someone needs to be slapped around.

I don't care if they think ARam will OPS .900 the rest of the season, actually that is the opposite of what I would want (need to keep draft position).

Get the guy they just picked up and get him in the roster for July, August, September. If he swims, maybe he gets 2016, if he sinks you know you need to go another direction. That is the great thing about being out of the playoff race, find out what you have from the young guys that are of an age you don't care about starting their arby clock.

If he's not traded, I wonder how much of it will be because he doesn't want to play anywhere else. He cited a reason for signing with Milwaukee originally was that it is close to home. Sure, he might want to win a World Series but does he want to go live on another end of the country for a few months? I know he doesn't have a no trade clause and therefore has no real say in what happens but maybe he has told Doug or his agent he really doesn't want to go anywhere else.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If in the end the Brewers don't give ARam away (if they have to by paying whatever of his salary) then someone needs to be slapped around.

I don't care if they think ARam will OPS .900 the rest of the season, actually that is the opposite of what I would want (need to keep draft position).

Get the guy they just picked up and get him in the roster for July, August, September. If he swims, maybe he gets 2016, if he sinks you know you need to go another direction. That is the great thing about being out of the playoff race, find out what you have from the young guys that are of an age you don't care about starting their arby clock.

If he's not traded, I wonder how much of it will be because he doesn't want to play anywhere else. He cited a reason for signing with Milwaukee originally was that it is close to home. Sure, he might want to win a World Series but does he want to go live on another end of the country for a few months? I know he doesn't have a no trade clause and therefore has no real say in what happens but maybe he has told Doug or his agent he really doesn't want to go anywhere else.

If he wouldn't sacrifice a couple months living away from family for a last shot at a World Series ring than I do not feel bad for him at all for how this season has played out and we should call up Dominguez right now and play him.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Speaking of the Pirates, who thought Francisco Liriano was washed up after his 2011 and 2012 seasons? Apparently everyone, as the Pirates signed him for $1M. That's why you don't give up on Garza after 1/3rd of a bad season.

Funny I thought it was you didn't give big money to Matt Garza when you could get the same production for $1M a year...

Aramis Ramirez doesn't want to be traded so I doubt he cares about winning a world series.

Has Ramirez said publicly he doesn't want to be traded? I don't recall ever hearing that.

He came back to play for the Brewers. He didn't have interest in playing for another team last off-season. It was to my understanding he was going to retire if the Brewers didn't want him back. He also didn't seem too excited when asked about the idea a week or so ago. He just isn't a big fan of being traded. He blocked a trade while apart of the Cubs when they were total garbage.

It doesn't take him to publicly say it to know he would prefer not to be traded.

From 6 days ago.

"I can't control [a trade], so I can't let that affect my play out there or anything else," he said. "It is what it is right now. We might be sellers. Who knows? We are playing pretty well right now. We still have 100 games to go. That's the front office's decision. They are going to do what's best for the team.

"I haven't really thought about it. If I get traded, so be it. I can't control that. I don't have a no-trade clause."

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/130397008/aramis-ramirez-not-focused-on-trade-talks

From 6 days ago.

"I can't control [a trade], so I can't let that affect my play out there or anything else," he said. "It is what it is right now. We might be sellers. Who knows? We are playing pretty well right now. We still have 100 games to go. That's the front office's decision. They are going to do what's best for the team.

"I haven't really thought about it. If I get traded, so be it. I can't control that. I don't have a no-trade clause."

http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/130397008/aramis-ramirez-not-focused-on-trade-talks

Yah he doesn't come right out and say it, but he makes it sound like he really would prefer to stay put. Using phrases like: So be it, It is what it is, I can't control that

I'm sure most players would like to stay put but he doesn't really have a say (unless he continues playing so poorly that no team even wants him).

He's basically saying I'll go where I'm told to go when I'm told to go there. Pretty much the same thing every other player rumored on the trade block says every year.

Speaking of the Pirates, who thought Francisco Liriano was washed up after his 2011 and 2012 seasons? Apparently everyone, as the Pirates signed him for $1M. That's why you don't give up on Garza after 1/3rd of a bad season.

Liriano was 28 at the time, so I don't think anyone thought he was washed up, just injured and ineffective. The Pirates took a chance and it paid off.

No one is suggesting giving up on Garza. We all know they can't. Too much money and too many years left. This is about his trade value, which at the moment is virtually nothing, to the point where I think they have to hold onto him for this deadline, let him try to rebound next year, and see if you can unload him in 2016.

Why exactly are we comparing a 28 year old getting a $1mil contract to someone getting $13mil for three more years and 31 years old? I am not saying Garza is washed up or we should give up on him, but that comparison is extremely troubling for me to understand.

If someone took Garza and his whole contract I wouldn't be sad if he turned it around. Because shedding that money would be really nice for the Brewers. Now if we are paying half of it or more to dump him then yah too early to give up on him.

We are comparing them because they are the same age, Liriano is pitching very well, and like Garza he went through a rough patch (but it lasted much longer). Some here have been advocating for just dumping Garza. Might not be you, but some are.

We are comparing them because they are the same age, Liriano is pitching very well, and like Garza he went through a rough patch (but it lasted much longer). Some here have been advocating for just dumping Garza. Might not be you, but some are.

Once again, Garza is owed $30 million through the rest of his contract. Comparing him to Liriano who signed as a flyer for $1 million is ridiculous.

I think he's just making the simple comparison that they are both pitchers that were once very good, went through rough patches, Liriano turned it around. Hopefully Garza can too.

But yes, Garza is owed a lot more money and is older. Either way, we've got to hold onto Garza and hope for a rebound, don't trade him now when his value is at it's lowest point.

I think he's just making the simple comparison that they are both pitchers that were once very good, went through rough patches, Liriano turned it around. Hopefully Garza can too.

But yes, Garza is owed a lot more money and is older. Either way, we've got to hold onto Garza and hope for a rebound, don't trade him now when his value is at it's lowest point.

Difference is holding on to Liriano costed pennies. Holding on to Garza(assuming a team would trade for him and his contract...doubtful) costs you $30mil or something. He has little value even when pitching like the past Garza. If a team were to trade for him there is pretty minimal risk in doing so from the Brewers perspective.

If by dumping you mean trading, yes certainly people are advocating that, as we could certainly use as much of the remainder of his contract off our books as we can get while we head toward a rebuilding process. Even if Garza rebounds, what good does it do for us competitively? Its not like we are going to be in the playoff hunt the next couple years anyway.

If by dumping you mean just releasing and eating the $30M left on his contract, no one is advocating for that. At least not that I've seen. Lohse maybe.

Yes but Liriano went through a rough patch with injuries. Now maybe Garza is hurt and not telling anyone but what we know about the two pitchers right now are completely different situations which is why it's ridiculous to compare them.

In 2011, when Liriano had a 5.09 ERA in 26 starts, he was making $4.3M. In 2012, when Liriano had a 5.31 ERA and was relegated to the bullpen after 17 starts and traded to the White Sox, he was making $5.5M.

No, he wasn't making pennies then, and because they traded him at his lowest point, I think it is a very valid comparison because Minnesota sold low to dump salary. And I also think that MIN would much rather still have him than Eduardo Escobar and the since released Pedro Hernandez.

In 2011, when Liriano had a 5.09 ERA in 26 starts, he was making $4.3M. In 2012, when Liriano had a 5.31 ERA and was relegated to the bullpen after 17 starts and traded to the White Sox, he was making $5.5M.

He was also in arbitration on one year deals and still in his 20s. Garza is owed $30 million and possibly another $13.5 million if his option vests.

It's much different trying to get out of Garza's remaining contract than giving up on Liriano on a couple of one year deals.

"We thought we were an 82-win team (entering the season) and had to play well and keep everybody healthy."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/getting-good-return-in-trades-could-be-tough-for-brewers-b99522787z1-308737101.html

Really striving for excellence there.

There is no upside to trading Lucroy, who is signed through 2016 with an option for 2017 at club-friendly terms.

Yeah, okay, Tom.

Monty said:

I don't believe Segura, Braun, Lind, K-Rod or Lucroy are going anywhere, and the only way Gomez gets traded is if they can't shed salary in one of the aforementioned salary dump trades. They'll extend Lucroy, who won't be very good as he gets into his 30's, and they'll trade Gomez at next year's trade deadline, when his value will be significantly less, as the receiving team will only get half a year with no chance at making a QO. I also wouldn't doubt that Arcia will get traded at some point as he'll be stuck in AAA with Segura and Sardinas in Milwaukee. I'm sure he could net two years of a proven vet who will help the team climb above .500 for a season.

That's like the Brewers since the Jungmann/Bradley debacle of a draft always being tied to the worst of College Pitchers in their minds as the next Brewers 1st rd draft pick. You're expecting the worst idea because you dont respect anyone making the decisions.

Arcia was ranked 20th in (Badler's?) prospect update. He's likely going to climb more. Easily the best prospect the Brewers have had ranking in a long while. I think the team will be deciding between Sardinas or Segura to keep and trade the other one. I'd prefer Segura due to what I think he can get in trade and he's older/pricier. Sardinas has a lot of time to grow/mature become better and increase his trade value. It'd have to be a trade of someone with a better ceiling than Sardinas to trade him.

There is no way Arcia is going to be traded, if he is, I'm done with the team as a fan. I'd consider kicking Melvin in the balls and throwing an elbow to his face to show my displeasure and say thanks for making me a non-fan of this team. It's ridiculous that you have this job, because I'd have done a better job than you have given the resources you have. It's embarrassing to me to have grown as a fan in knowledge in the past 4years and you've absolutely not in ability as a GM for how long now?

Wait someone said something about trading Arcia? Even for the most negative and biggest Melvin hater that is the most completely ridiculous thing I have ever heard. That doesn't even make sense. Why are you even a fan at that point?

Wait someone said something about trading Arcia? Even for the most negative and biggest Melvin hater that is the most completely ridiculous thing I have ever heard. That doesn't even make sense. Why are you even a fan at that point?

Well to be fair, remember there was no way Melvin was going to trade Escobar.

Well to be fair, remember there was no way Melvin was going to trade Escobar.

We both know that was a totally different situation.

Archived