Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 2)

Okay, Draft ends tomorrow. I think you can officially begin the team's open for business in trades. Gomez should be on the rise. Garza may be putting together a run here to regain a lot of value. Parra is an obvious plus for any team looking for him. Lind should have staying power in value if he can remain healthy w/o a DL stint before the trade deadline. ARam's HR tonight is a good sign. He's historically been a slow starter, maybe he will get going at just the right time.

Lohse and Broxton if anyone will take them are just salary relief at this time. As is ARam likely but who knows with 3b and sending some cash?

Does the team trade KRod? Or make him available in the offseason, like Gomez or Lucroy possibly? He's gotta be at the point where he has more value than Papelbon does, who was being commanded a high prospect price. Interested in the Crew's first trade being done with!

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the team trade KRod? Or make him available in the offseason ....

KRod has to have his most value at this point in time, definitely need to trade in-season. Will get much more now from a contending team, versus waiting to the off-season and his paycheck goes way up. Plus we can save half a season of this year's pay or $1.5M after bringing up a minor leaguer.

I fear they will panic and trade KRod for less than he's "worth." More than one contending team needs a closer, and Krod is legit. Lohse, Garza, ARam- their value is about as low as they can get (other than being injured) so they may as well wait a bit to see if they have a hot streak. Worst case, whatever you can get for them now you can get 4-6 weeks from now.

Lind and Parra have value, hard to know exactly how much. But a LH OF that can play all 3 positions? A LH bat at 1B/DH that has some power? Those chips have some value at least.

Then I think guys like Segura, Gomez, Lucroy, Braun all fall under "if the price is right" category.

I don't think Parra has too much value, myself. He is still the exact same player we acquired last year for Mitch Haniger (currently posting a 99 wRC+ as a 24 year old in his second trip through AA) and Anthony Banda, only this time the acquiring team only gets him for 1/2 a season instead of 1 1/2 seasons like we did.

Lind I think has probably seen his value go up slightly since we acquired him. Still hitting to his norms for the last three seasons while playing the field more often and not experiencing any major health issues. Still not gonna get too much for him I don't think, maybe a younger version of a guy like Estrada. Either a back end type starter in the high minors or maybe a high risk guy in the lower minors if they want to go that route.

I'd predict very disssapointing returns on K-Rod, Parra, and Lind.

K-Rod never has interest in him no matter what he does. He might net a so-so prospect, but I doubt much more. Parra is probably in that same boat. Lind you might be able to get a team to cough up a decent prospect, but then again we gave up a guy we were about to non tender to get him. Lind is a bit of a mystery at this point.

A bullpen guy for Parra is probably the best you can do for him. That has value, Broxton and K-Rod are pulling down bucks that could be better spent elsewhere, but we should adjust expectations accordingly.

A year and a half of Lind, ought to pull down a decent prospect. Especially as he looks like he won't break the bank if you want to extend him. I don't see a team giving up a potential star for him, but a projectable everyday player that's blocked in his current system is a reasonable player to target.

It's hard to say what K-Rod is worth. He's been reasonably dependable as a player and his salary is reasonable, but he comes with baggage.

Think the Mets would be interested? I don't.

I expect most teams wouldn't care about the past as long as there's nothing current hanging over him. There probably are several that do care though and that impacts his value.

There has to be some reason why K-Rod is still out there with no offers every year, forcing Boras to call Attanasio, who he knows has no qualms about signing wife-beaters. K-Rod should be tradeable, but really what has changed since this offseason, when any team could have signed him to a contract, and all it would have cost was money? We'll probably get something from trading him to a playoff-hopeful team that has issues with their closer, but I wouldn't expect a high return.

The rumored talks with the Mets would have Ramirez traded for Dillon Gee, so we'd save some money, but would have another veteran #5 starter we're paying millions for. I'd probably rather just give him to the Mets in return for them paying the full salary. Really, the only way we're trading Ramirez will be if we take an unwanted contract back.

I still wonder how serious the Brewers will be about this "rebuild." Their seeming refusal to deal either Segura or Lucroy (especially Segura, for whom we have an in-house replacement ready and our top prospect about a year out) leads me to believe they'll probably look to deal the guys who are going to be free agents (Parra, Lohse and Ramirez) and we won't get anything but salary relief back. They'll try their hardest to divest themselves of Garza, but that is more because they realize it's a bad contract and want to get out of the financial obligation. They won't be good next year, so they will end up trading Gomez next deadline, when his value is significantly worse than it is today (.5 years vs 1.5 and no chance to make QO), and they'll try to extend Lucroy, which won't end up being a good deal, as we'll pay big money for decline years.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

There could be a lot of demand for Parra, pushing up his trade value. Looking at the contending teams that have issues in the OF:

NYY - Beltran is 38 w/ a .668 OPS, .279 OBP, and at 38 is a defensive liability; Young hits HRs but that's it, .274 OBP; Heathcott is on the DL but was up by default (sub .700 OPS in AAA)

TOR - Pillar has .637 OPS, .280 OBP; Pompey is struggling after the callup

KCR - Orlando, Dyson, and Rios are all struggling with OPS <.660 and OBP <.300

MIN - Escobar, Hicks, Robinson, and Schafer all struggling, has been merry-go-round in the OF; Hunter is 39

TEX - Hamilton is back on the DL, Martin and Rosales have OPS <.660

LAA - Joyce's and Cowgill's OPS <.600

WAS - Werth is on the DL, has been struggling (OPS < .600), and is a defensive liability; Taylor has hit some big HRs but his OBP is .281 and has a 5:1 K:BB ratio

NYM - their bench has been putrid

ATL - Gomes has been struggling (.617 OPS) and is a defensive liability, Young has been awful

STL - Holliday just tore his quad and is a defensive liability anyway; Jay has been awful (.567 OPS)

CHC - Lake and Sczur have struggled off the bench

That's a lot of teams that could be in use of an upgrade in the OF, be it a starter or 4th OF/defensive replacement, and there aren't many guys like Parra on the market who can play all OF positions. Get some of those division rivals bidding each other up for Parra and the return could be quite nice.

The point of your list is valid but there are a handful of teams on there where you've listed RH platoon options as the struggling players, which makes Parra not a fit. A handful of those teams have LH options across the board and need help on the RH side.

TEX probably doesn't care too much to upgrade over Martin as a good defender and LH bat + Hamilton's possible return + Gallo playing OF along with Choo.

The Twins are going to fall fast out of the race but they do have Arcia available as a LH bat if they want to make the call. The other guys are defensive players anyways (part of Parra's strength).

Toronto might have Saunders back but they could use a lefty maybe.

Yankees could platoon Chris Young/Garrett Jones if they grow sick of Beltran.

Cubs and Braves you've listed RH struggling bats so I'm not sure they could use him really.

That said, I agree that Parra will have some value, especially as the injury concerns start to clear up by the deadline.

There could be a lot of demand for Parra, pushing up his trade value. Looking at the contending teams that have issues in the OF:

Boy would this be a pleasant surprise. Even if we could just get one Banda or Haniger type prospect back. Would greatly ease the sting that misguided trade last year.

bill hALL, I see your point. However, 70% of pitchers are right-handed, and of those platoon partners you reference, how many of them can play all three OF positions? Being left-handed and having the ability to play all three OF positions above-average defensively drives his value higher than players with similar offensive production.

Yeah, I love me some left-handed bats for platoons so somebody's going to want Parra. I was just noting a few teams that already have 3 guys at the LH spots in the OF and may not want to add another one. Injuries can change that, though.

There will absolutely be a taker for Parra.

Bobblehead Day is over. Time to deal Gomez.

I know you get a good kick out of that, but waiting to deal players for PR reasons isn't unheard of. There have been quite a few rumors/stories on how the Reds don't want to start a possible fire sale early because of hosting the All Star game. So while it sounds like a dumb idea to not deal a player for PR reasons it is a real thing. Now while I would agree it may not be the smartest idea, I am also not the negative backlash they are worried about.

Yeah, I love me some left-handed bats for platoons so somebody's going to want Parra. I was just noting a few teams that already have 3 guys at the LH spots in the OF and may not want to add another one. Injuries can change that, though.

There will absolutely be a taker for Parra.

Sure, just wouldn't expect much.

Archived