Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 2)

Correct. Honestly, I'm surprised there's so much debate about this. ARam is a veteran bat that has some value. Enough value for someone to trade for? Maybe. And if they are able to trade him they will get a "decent" prospect or two. Nobody that will make the top 25 list we're working on now over in the minor league forum. But still a trade worth making if anyone wants him.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Upton with an Oblique concern could change the market slightly in regards to Gomez/Parra. Cespedes being the other big RH outfield bat out there besides Gomez/Upton
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Yea, I've always thought Parra would have the most value of any position players. For a two month rental, you get a very good LH bat that can play all OF positions. Since most contenders could really use a player like that, value goes up.

Parra can play all three OF positions, having a career year, and he is a lefty. Might be the most sought after OFer on the market. He won't get the biggest package, but every team looking for an OFer will prefer him since it won't take big time prospects.

I doubt the team trading for Ramirez would pay the deferred money.

It would have to be a negotiation point. I'm sure the Brewers won't find anyone who would pay the whole thing, so they'll likely eat it, and potentially part of what he's owed for the rest of the season. The deferred money is just a negative mark that Melvin will have to negotiate past.

I don't expect the Brewers to get much for Ramirez, but I will be happy if they get something, even if it's only salary relief, which I think has a lot of value to the team at this point.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

What other 3B are on the market? What other RH bats are on the market who are OPSing 970 in the last month?

Supply/Demand.

Let me clarify, when I say he will net a nice return, Im not saying top 10 or 25. But I do expect a top 100 easily for a guy that is essentially the same value of what MOST ANY rental trade represents despite the retirement.

As an over-analyzing fantasy/daily fantasy player who notices this stuff, might other teams be skeptical of adding Ramirez when his recent success has been a homer @Coors, a homer against Trevor May, and running ravage on the Phillies/Reds "pitching" offerings du jour, then taking a long break against the Braves/Dodgers competent pitching staffs before hitting an admittedly decent staff (but they were throwing Locke and Worley in those games).

What other 3B are on the market? What other RH bats are on the market who are OPSing 970 in the last month?

Supply/Demand.

Let me clarify, when I say he will net a nice return, Im not saying top 10 or 25. But I do expect a top 100 easily for a guy that is essentially the same value of what MOST ANY rental trade represents despite the retirement.

Top 100 MLB prospect? Absolutely no way you'll get that for ARam.

Parra can play all three OF positions, having a career year, and he is a lefty. Might be the most sought after OFer on the market. He won't get the biggest package, but every team looking for an OFer will prefer him since it won't take big time prospects.

I guess it depends what you mean by "big time" but they should be able to get a couple guys who would make our BF top 25 list. Or one for sure, then another guy who flirts with the list. It depends on how low in the minors the Brewers want to go in the trade.

While I'm optimistic that we could do an August deal or two, my only concern about waiting is we have a fairly large number of players to get some value for, and it becomes something of a logistical problem to complete that many deals at the last minute interest or not.

Its a little... TOO quiet...

http://38.media.tumblr.com/AvGRKCOeyjff8pqxw7gDhYCKo1_250.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Slow like usual. Teams aren't committed to a plan yet and usually a few players hold everything up. Parra could be holding up the OF market since he is widely considered the best value option out there. Upton/Gomez might be fallback or panic options for teams.

The Brewers are going to make quite a few trades here. Cotts and Parra might as well be considered gone, Gomez likely to be traded, Lind is another very likely chip to be traded, Segura and K-Rod very well could be traded, would not be surprised to see the heavy interest in Fiers turn into something....heck anyone on the team is open to be traded from what I have seen.

I would expect 4 trades at the minimum....most likely the 4 I first mentioned. I would not be surprised to see some of our players go in package deals either(Segura, K-Rod, or Cotts with a bigger piece).

Lets let it play out. There's a number of guys that could be moved of course but I doubt all the names that have been mentioned will be elsewhere on August 1. I'm guessing no more than two deals total, likely involving 2-4 current Brewer players. I'm sensing they are looking for young controllable players in return that are AA or above to fill in around current core in 2016-17. Know that will disappoint those looking for some 18 or 19 year old with big upside. They have some those now and will draft more next year.

I think most potential buyers want to wait as long as possible before making an important trade given things could change their thinking in those last two weeks or so before the deadline.

Exactly. A star SS or pitching ace or cleanup hitter gets injured and that changes everything

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Ramirez is making a lot of money relative to his production. His recent hot streak has raised his season numbers up to .248/.297/.437/.734 and he's making $14M this year. Since this deal was drafted by Melvin, it of course includes deferred money, paying him $3M for the next two years. Therefore, whoever trades for him will owe him around $13MM for a couple of months... that's superstar money.

I believe that the Brewers are not able to trade away any of the deferred money so the Brewers will have to pay all of the deferred money and not the team that acquires Ramirez.

The team that acquires Ramirez would have to pay for the remainder of what Ramirez is owed for this season so no where near the $13mm you are quoting.

Archived