Brewer Fanatic

Open for business (part 2)

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also add Lind to the list. There's got to be interest in a LH 1B/DH who is hitting like this. He should bring a very nice return.

Cant believe I didn't add Cotts and Lind to the list. If either is on the roster on August 1, I will be shocked. Both are excellent trade chips and neither figures into a 2017 roster plans.

At this point Lind, Parra, and KRod should each net a nice return. Not some middling/decent minor leaguer, but true prospects.

ARam has positioned himself into having some value, it all depends whether there's a team out there who needs a 3B and likes/wants him. Either way, I wouldn't expect a high level prospect. Maybe go with a couple guys with upside at A level or lower.

Lohse is a guy I think teams really want if he would show any sign at all of being decent. A veteran starter with post-season experience- a lot of teams love that. And they would be willing to take a bit of a risk, but not unless he can staring together a couple decent starts. Again, either way, not much in return form him. Garza? Forget about it. Broxton? Ditto.

Gomez? I don't think you shop him, but you answer the phone. If you get a good return pull the trigger. But it better be a great prospect, and one or two lower level guys.

Braun, Lucroy? I just don't see a trade happening now. During the off-season maybe, but not now.

Segura? I just don't see a trade making sense here. You're not going to get a top prospect, and he's still under control for a while for cheap.

Cotts? Sure, but again not much of anything in return.

Bottom line, I want to see them get some really good prospects for Lind. Parra, and Krod. Gomez also if the right deal comes along. Beyond that, you're not going to get anything much in return. Besides pitching (which you can always use) the system is low on power, so ideally they should get a 3B/1B with pop. Heck, even corner OF. A legit catching prospect would be nice too.

I just looked at Segura's numbers for the first time this year. I assumed he was doing better than last year because I don't think it's possible for him to do worse and I've also seen a lot less discussions about how bad he is this year. Not much difference. Only hitting a tiny bit better this year than last. I think we need to accept that 2013 was an outlier and Segura is not much of a player. He needs to be moved now while teams still want him and you can get something of any value for him.

I agree, I wouldn't wait too long on any offer for Segura or Ramirez. On the other hand, need to be patient with Gomez, KRod, Lind, and Parra. Those guys would offer a ton of value to a contending team, and you need to get back something far better than a Delmonico for each of them.

Segura is under contract for awhile. Depends on how long the rebuild lasts. Gennett is still barely hitting .100 vs LHP .... I like the possibilities of a Segura/Gennett platoon at 2B in the future with Arcia at SS
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Segura is under contract for awhile. Depends on how long the rebuild lasts. Gennett is still barely hitting .100 vs LHP .... I like the possibilities of a Segura/Gennett platoon at 2B in the future with Arcia at SS

I understand Scooter is basically worthless against lefties, but if you can get something for Segura right now I'll take my chances with Scooter at 2B almost everyday. And this is coming from who has been skeptical of Scooter from the beginning.

Scooter's offensive numbers so far have blown Segura out of the water .756 career OPS to Segura's .675. Defensively we haven't seen Segura at 2B but I can't imagine he's that much better to make up for the offensive difference. Honestly I think we need to take advantage of the fact that Segura is youngish and has a few years of control to turn him into something worthwhile.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't see anyone overpaying for Segura. He's got a .650 OPS - and that's an improvement over last year. His defense is average. He does have some upside - his dynamic 2013 start showed that - so some team might be willing to throw the dice that they can reclaim that performance.

If someone does overpay for Jean, great. Take it and build for 2017 and beyond. Otherwise, you just ride Segura out as SS until Arcia is ready. He can then shift to 2B (I think he would be an above average second baseman), and even if he can improve his hitting a little, he'd be a decent player there. Or he could be a trade chip. If he's putting up a .750 OPS next year at this time, he could net a lot, but we have to hope that Jean ups his game over the next year.

Personally, I'm just not buying Segura as nothing more than average. His walk rate - never good - is atrocious. And it seems like pitchers have adjusted to him - while he's not matured as a hitter. I'm not going to give up on the guy - he's got talent. But I'd give him another year or so until Arcia is ready, then see what his future is. But if during that time someone comes up with a good offer, I'd take it. If he's producing a .650 OPS at this time next year, no one will give up a lot for him as every day that passes and he doesn't improve will only cement his value in people's eyes.

I wouldn't force a Segura deal, but given our depth and the fact that he is still young enough that another team might pay extra for that youth on top of a potential upgrade at midseason means I'd certainly be willing if a good offer came

Mark Attanasio doesn't expect any moves till after the deadline. Not the most surprising thing, but I am sure that could change quickly. Break is a popular time for a few deals to break out.

I assume you meant "after the All-Star break." If he really meant "until after the July 31st trade deadline," then I'd be furious.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Mark Attanasio doesn't expect any moves till after the deadline. Not the most surprising thing, but I am sure that could change quickly. Break is a popular time for a few deals to break out.

I assume you meant "after the All-Star break." If he really meant "until after the July 31st trade deadline," then I'd be furious.

Haha yes. Too many articles being read at once.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I just looked at Segura's numbers for the first time this year. I assumed he was doing better than last year because I don't think it's possible for him to do worse and I've also seen a lot less discussions about how bad he is this year. Not much difference. Only hitting a tiny bit better this year than last. I think we need to accept that 2013 was an outlier and Segura is not much of a player. He needs to be moved now while teams still want him and you can get something of any value for him.

What's weird is that every scouting report I've read about him is absolutely glowing. He might be one of those "change of scenery" guys that just puts it all together on another team.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's weird is that every scouting report I've read about him is absolutely glowing. He might be one of those "change of scenery" guys that just puts it all together on another team.

Most people think he is best suited to go oppo and just slap the ball around. He wasn't doing that last year and started just slapping it to RF this year. Problem is he has no power in doing so and the results have been no better. He also doesn't walk a lot. So at the end of the day he needs to hit .300 or better just to have a decent stat line. That's a lot to ask for.

Archived