Brewer Fanatic

RIP Darryl Hamilton

markedman5

this sucks, what a waste. I thought he was great filling in for Ueck, knowledgable guy and seemed to really love the game and the crew.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

How awful. Darryl was always a favorite, an exciting player and so recently a promising broadcaster. I thought this was a depressing season, but events of the past 24 hours put a lot in perspective.

This is incredibly sad. I remember seeing him play, but more so recently calling games while Uecker was out. I thought he was a great fill in. This is incredibly sad news.

I agree. I personally felt that he was outstanding on the radio, and had hope that maybe he would someday replace Uecker in the booth. I suppose such thoughts are trivial now.

It's so hard to understand why things like this happen sometimes.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Very sad. I always wished he was the guy beside Ueck, and the Ueck when Ueck doesn't travel.

Yet another example of the significance of domestic violence. I often think that the family courts now have as much to do with protecting public safety as the criminal courts. In one recent year 19 of the 29 murders in San Diego were DV.

What a terrible loss. Hamilton was one of my absolute favorites for his entire career -- a solid, smart, team-first player who was really good defensively and a sweet hitter with good wheels.

I bought a game-used jersey of his at the Brewers' Clubhouse in Brookfield Square. I specifically collected every one of his Topps, Fleer, Donruss, & Upper Deck baseball cards beyond the complete sets I worked on (or just bought) every year. . . . Everything said about him since the news broke corroborates how I felt about him all along.

It just doesn't seem real, and all I can think of is how stupid and unnecessary this outcome was. For whatever was behind her actions -- and in reverting to my kid-like thinking, I'm hoping the dysfunction was mainly hers and not his, though that might be too unrealistic -- what she did solved nothing AND, more glaringly, left their child with NO parents. How foolish, short-sighted, and selfish to put personal anger above parental responsibility!

This is just so sad. I always really liked Darryl. He had some impossible shoes to fill when his career started (how do you succeed a legend?), but he played the game hard, and from all accounts was a really nice man. RIP, Darryl.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Really awful story that has become too common in our society.

Hamilton really seemed to embrace his Brewers roots recently. He was outstanding on the radio. I really thought he'd make a great replacement when (and if) Ueck retires. I think he was a coach at the Fantasy Camp this year as well. Incredibly sad story.

I can't add much here besides sharing in the sadness. Count me among those who would have been more than open to Darryl having a more regular broadcasting presence with the Brewers. He and Joe Block had an instantly terrific rapport last year when Darryl filled in for Ueck on road games.

I am glad that I took the time to tweet my compliments to them both last year.

And I'm glad we have tickets to Tuesday's game, where there will almost surely be a pre-game moment of silence. (If not, I'll want to know why.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 11 months later...
That 92 team was so fun to watch. Hamilton had a heck of a year and seeing Listach, Hamilton and Molitor steal 30+ bases each that year added to the fun. I know they didn't win anything but I wonder if the Brewers will do anything for the 25th anniversary. Probably not, especially since the year ends in 2 and they can just default to 82 but it was the most fun year I had as a fan and Hamilton was a big part of it.

That 92 team was so fun to watch. Hamilton had a heck of a year and seeing Listach, Hamilton and Molitor steal 30+ bases each that year added to the fun. I know they didn't win anything but I wonder if the Brewers will do anything for the 25th anniversary. Probably not, especially since the year ends in 2 and they can just default to 82 but it was the most fun year I had as a fan and Hamilton was a big part of it.

Brewers had a better team that year than Toronto. They had a significantly better run differential. The Jays landing Cone down the stretch took some starch out of the Brewers late too. Wasn't bad enough that Brewers let Molitor go in FA after that year, but it really bugged me that he poked the Brewers in the eye by signing with Toronto.

Archived