Brewer Fanatic

Max Scherzer Pitches No-Hitter...Misses Perfect Game by One Strike

splitterpfj
“You know,” Tabata said at his swarmed stall, appearing almost overwhelmed by the bombardment of questions. “I was just doing my job up there. That’s all. I knew he was throwing a perfect game, but I wanted to do my job. He’s one of the best pitchers in the game. But I’m trying to get on base.”

This right here. You play to win the game.

Anyone who has a problem with what he did should go back and make sure the second base was touched every time the Nats turned a double play. Once again, this all falls on the umpire. He's the one that didn't enforce the rule.

The game was not in doubt, it was 6-0 and there was no realistic possibility that the Pirates were going to rally for 6 runs with 2 already out in the 9th against Scherzer, regardless of what Tabata did. We're not talking about a 2-0 game where Tabata is doing everything he can to try to bring the tying run on.

I'm ok with bunting to break up a perfect game in the 9th, as bad as it looks, if the score is 1-0 or 2-0 and still a competitive game. That's different than doing something to deliberately cheat the rules, however.

I really wish it were true Tabata was let go by the team. That's what should happen in my opinion. This to me is worse than the wrong call at 1b costing a perfect game a few years back. Or was that a No-hitter?

That pitch wasn't hitting Tabata ever! Nevermind if Tabata actually moved out of the way of the incoming pitch. But no, this goat, proceeded to spike his elbow down in to the ball to get hit. When I seen it live, I thought the catcher didn't catch the ball, because it was nowhere near hitting Tabata watching the pitch happen. Then the umps arms went up and I said to myself, he's rewarding him a base for that? Did that hit him? Please show me a replay! After about 2 agonizing minutes the tv finally does...and yep Tabata threw his elbow in to the ball.

I think Scherzer should be allowed to throw a pitch and Tabata being punished is forced to throw his Face in to it as punishment. It was the last out of a perfect game. That Ump btw, should also be suspended w/o pay for the next week. If MLB has instant replays, they should very easily be able to hand out these punishments upon Replay.

Tabata sickens me so. It's one thing to not move out of the way and get hit being rather poor in doing so. Its another to not move out of the way of a pitch that wasn't going to hit you, and then make sure it does.

Verified Member

Some players are better than others at drawing HBP and are more willing to crowd the plate (see: Rickie Weeks). Scherzer shouldn't have gone so far inside, he was taking a risk. I think you are fooling yourself if you watch what Tabata did and think it was that egregious (people are acting like he dove in front of the ball, all he did was move his elbow slightly).

Plus, Scherzer's control was all over the place and Tabata had already drawn, what, 8-9 pitches? And it would have been a full count if Tabata had jumped out of the way. The perfect game was not a foregone conclusion even if Scherzer hadn't hit Tabata.

“You know,” Tabata said at his swarmed stall, appearing almost overwhelmed by the bombardment of questions. “I was just doing my job up there. That’s all. I knew he was throwing a perfect game, but I wanted to do my job. He’s one of the best pitchers in the game. But I’m trying to get on base.”

Anyone who has a problem with what he did should go back and make sure the second base was touched every time the Nats turned a double play. Once again, this all falls on the umpire. He's the one that didn't enforce the rule.

I'm sure you didn't mean this game, but, case you did, um, it was a perfect game. There were NO double play attempts as there were no base runners.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Some players are better than others at drawing HBP and are more willing to crowd the plate (see: Rickie Weeks). Scherzer shouldn't have gone so far inside, he was taking a risk. I think you are fooling yourself if you watch what Tabata did and think it was that egregious (people are acting like he dove in front of the ball, all he did was move his elbow slightly).

Plus, Scherzer's control was all over the place and Tabata had already drawn, what, 8-9 pitches? And it would have been a full count if Tabata had jumped out of the way. The perfect game was not a foregone conclusion even if Scherzer hadn't hit Tabata.

Yah it was that intentional. If you don't think so that's fine. He was sneaky about it, but he went out of his way to make sure that hit him.

As far as your second paragraph(playing the what if game) it doesn't make what Tabata did any better.What Tabata did was WRONG...no matter what the outcome is. He costed a pitcher the chance at a perfect game...did he cost him a perfect game? We will never know, but regardless he was still in the wrong.

Watch the slow motion on this. THIS, with a perfect game on the line, YES, the umpire should have stepped in.

atmlb.com/1TEy9RI

Absolutely, 1000%. The official scorer should have changed the hit by pitch after the game, and Scherzer should have a perfect game.

Bush league move by Tabata. 100%.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

So much for playing the game right. While minor that is not how to play the game. Intentionally moving to get hit with two outs in the ninth inning of a perfect game is just bad baseball.

I agree with your post, MrTPlush. Just editing it slightly to make my point...um, on point.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I agree it is against the rules but if a rule is never enforced is it still a rule?

If a bear takes a dump in the woods, does it still stink, even if you're not there?

Bush league is bush league. Bunting to get on down 1-0 in a perfect game is one thing. Your team still has a chance to get back into the game, or even win it with one swing of the bat.

Leaning into a pitch with two outs in the bottom of the ninth in a perfect game when your team is down 6-0 is the lowest form of Bush league baseball there is. I've never been so disgusted by a blown call costing a pitcher a perfect game. What's sad is that when I google "umpire call blows perfect game", there's more than one example that comes up! At least Jim Joyce came forward and said he screwed up.

Exactly. I for one am kind of sick of the unofficial rules of the way the game should be played the "right way". See: Cardinals.

The umpires need to enforce the rules that are actually on the books.

I'm just taken aback that we were as close as I will probably ever see anyone equal Johnny Vander Meer's record.

We were literally this close to seeing it if Gomez's "hit" doesn't fall last Sunday.

This is now the closest, topping Dave Stieb's back to back 1 hitters on Sept 24 1988 (broken up with 2 outs in the 9th) and Sept 30 1988 (also broken up with 2 outs in the 9th!)

Personally I always felt any pitch that hits body armor is not hitting the person so he should not be allowed to take a base. You want a free base for getting hit you got to deal with the pain of getting hit. I doubt Tabita would have done that if he actually had to take it on his elbow and risk injury. Especially in a game whose outcome was long ago decided.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I just can't understand all the hate for Tabata. This is 100% on the ump. Ok, 99% on the ump 1% on Scherzer for missing his spot so badly. I can't believe the posters basically saying that Tabata should have just made an out because they weren't going to win and Scherzer had a perfect game.

If I'm on the Pirates, I have no problem for what he did. If I'm a National, I'm disappointed that it happened but feel no ill will toward Tabata. If I'm Scherzer I'm pissed at myself for throwing such a terrible pitch and at the ump for not making the right call but I would have nothing against Tabata.

Archived