Brewer Fanatic

Gomez and K-Rod to Toronto idea

I like Jeff Hoffman as well, but he's more of a project. But that might appeal to Toronto. They might see Norris as a key guy next year, while Hoffman is a few years away.

I will add that this is the time to strike with Toronto. They are built to win in the next couple of years, so now is when you get their young talent. The tough part is that starting pitching is their greatest need, and if the team goes out and gets a top notch starter, they might not be willing to make a second big deal (and really deplete their farm system).

Hoffman is the crown jewel of that system. He's got #1 ace type stuff.

Totally agree that this is the time to strike with the Jays. In addtion Anthropoulus and Melvin have a history or working together and reaching deals that have worked out for both teams.

I could see a deal getting done and maybe soon. I imagine Gomez, Cotts, and Krod would interest them. Maybe Parra as well.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Problem with trading gomez and Parra is that its going to leave us with worst defensive outfield in MLB. Would be nice to get at least one speedy outfielder in return.

What about Logan Schafer :laughing

Problem with trading gomez and Parra is that its going to leave us with worst defensive outfield in MLB. Would be nice to get at least one speedy outfielder in return.

I understand this is in Blue, but for this year I would be fine with Schaefer. We can always get some trash heap guys for next year and see what we get, otherwise the kids should start coming in later next year or 2017. Get the best players and don't worry about who to replace them with at this point.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I understand this is in Blue, but for this year I would be fine with Schaefer. We can always get some trash heap guys for next year and see what we get, otherwise the kids should start coming in later next year or 2017. Get the best players and don't worry about who to replace them with at this point.

I don't have a lot of faith in Schafer anymore, but I would give him one last shot. He's always produced in the minors. His major league play has been sporadic at best. So, just give him CF and say 'you got 1/2 a season to show us you belong.' Just let the guy go out and play everyday. If he fails, he's gone. If he plays competently, great. He can keep the seat warm until we get someone to replace him.

Who really cares what the 2015 outfield looks like. Everyone wants the #1 pick anyway, having a horrible outfield would help.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm rather curious because I thought the Rogers Center was a big HR park, and yet Estrada is doing great. I mean certainly if they have a secret that cuts way down on the long ball Fiers becomes young, cheap, and looks like a #2 which is a pretty great deal.

Interesting... the Marco Estrada effect perhaps? The downside would be since he's not elite what are they looking to give up to acquire him? I doubt we're talking a prospect I'd be thrilled to get like Norris or Hoffman.

I believe Fiers has 3 or 4 years of team control remaining according to Cot's? It's hard to tell because he's been up and down so much.

From Cot's:

Michael Fiers rhp

1 year/$0.5125M (2015)

• 1 year/$0.5125M (2015)
    re-signed by Milwaukee 3/15
    1 year (2014)
    re-signed by Milwaukee 3/14
    1 year/$0.498M (2013)
    re-signed by Milwaukee 3/13
    1 year (2012)
    re-signed by Milwaukee 2/12
    1 year (2011)
    contract purchased by Milwaukee 9/10/11
    drafted by Milwaukee 2009 (22-676) (Nova Southeastern U.)
    agent: Select Sports Group
    ML service: 1.085

Rotoworld also lists him as arbitration eligible in 2017.

Here's BA's midseason top 10:

1. Daniel Norris, lhp

2. Dalton Pompey, of

3. Jeff Hoffman, rhp

4. Miguel Castro, rhp

5. Richard Urena, ss

6. Anthony Alford, of

7. Matt Boyd, lhp

8. Sean Reid-Foley, rhp

9. Rowdy Tellez, 1b

10. Max Pentecost, c

It should be no surprise given my earlier comments that I really like Norris and Hoffman but I wonder if a #3-5 (depending on the year) type like Fiers would be enough? Would they be willing sacrifice 6+ years of Norris who still needs some development time or a pitcher with #1 overall draft talent like Hoffman for an instant rotation solution? I'd probably be willing to do a Castro/Pentecost trade even though Castro is a low arm slot guy and Pentecost is still rehabbing after his 2nd shoulder surgery (2 over the winter), taking 2 guys back with significant upside for a very solid yet unspectacular MLB contributor seems pretty reasonable..

This is the team that traded away both Syndergaard and Nicolino for veteran pitchers so there is a precedent for them to deal potential young impact pitching for immediate MLB results.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm rather curious because I thought the Rogers Center was a big HR park, and yet Estrada is doing great. I mean certainly if they have a secret that cuts way down on the long ball Fiers becomes young, cheap, and looks like a #2 which is a pretty great deal.

He's not so young, already 30.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wonder if this becomes one of those system changing deals. Fiers, Gomez and KRod would be a hell of a package addition to a team that is only 4 games out of the wildcard.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Now would be a great time to move a guy like Fiers. Turning 30, still is cheap, and he's never pitched better.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Fiers has 4 years left, 1 pre arby year and 3 arby years.

Despite the control I don't think he nets as much as you would hope for. Maybe trust your scouts and go for some guys in the lower minors. Even if Fiers is a #3 starter going forward you will save a lot of money though. Something attractive if you are the Blue Jays.

Verified Member
Gomez/Fiers/K-Rod for Norris/Pompey/Tirado/Alford

Fiers AND Gomez? No way.

Jeff Hoffman seems like a great starting point for a Fiers trade, though I am a little concerned by Hoffman's numbers (specifically the lack of strikeouts) in the minor leagues. Jon Harris (just drafted) would be an interesting piece as well.

Hoffman is just coming back from TJ surgery, he didn't pitch for almost a year, he has legit stuff despite what his small sample statistical sample would suggest.

- Plato

- Plato

Gomez/Fiers/K-Rod for Norris/Pompey/Tirado/Alford

Fiers AND Gomez? No way.

Jeff Hoffman seems like a great starting point for a Fiers trade, though I am a little concerned by Hoffman's numbers (specifically the lack of strikeouts) in the minor leagues. Jon Harris (just drafted) would be an interesting piece as well.

Norris/Pompey for Gomez is Really good. I just don't think team will give up a lot for krod, I packaged him with fiers to get 2 decent options.

Daniel Norris and Rowdy Tellez are the 2 I'd be most looking for. We desperately need a stud lefty in our rotation and a possible big time 1B prospect. Big kid! At 20 he earned his way outta Midwest league and now is lighting up FSL. He has power, hits for good average, and will walk....not to mention he has an awesome name to market!

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I'd try to avoid trading Gomez and Fiers in the same trade unless they were able to bring back both Daniel Norris & Jeff Hoffman. Ideally, I'd try to package Fiers with K-Rod and Parra to get one of the two aforementioned pitchers. That way you can still trade Gomez for another front line starter to build around.

If Toronto wants to turn this into a block buster than I'd trade whatever reliever on our team to bring back Dalton Pompey and Max Pentecost in addition to Norris and Hoffman.

@WiscoSportsNut

I would think Pompey is a must as part of any deal to Toronto for Gomez and that Norris would have to be included if Fiers is part of the deal. Its looking to me that Melvin is shooting for pieces that he can put around the young core currently here, not so much for 3-4 years down the road.

I would think Pompey is a must as part of any deal to Toronto for Gomez and that Norris would have to be included if Fiers is part of the deal. Its looking to me that Melvin is shooting for pieces that he can put around the young core currently here, not so much for 3-4 years down the road.

I would think so, if we are getting Pompey and going for Blockbuster, I could see Tyrone Taylor being a sweetener for the trade. He could be a solid everyday CF but Pompey IMO has more upside and potential.

I think Norris is most important piece to get. He has frontline lefty stuff. Fiers gives them their consistent and experienced guy. They haven't had the confidence to give Norris his real shut with them contending...We will give him that chance.

We have ton of leverage if they want anyone because as Doug will say, "Im not motivated to trade them (a Gomez or Fiers)"

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Verified Member
I don't trust Daniel Norris. Too many injuries and his results have never been particularly stellar over a long period of time (other than one stint at A+). Don't get me wrong, I would love to have him, but I don't view him as a centerpiece in a Gomez trade.

Archived