Brewer Fanatic

Jhoulys Chacin Opt-out

Chacin opted out of his minor league deal with Indians. His numbers in AAA were decent.

Why not pick him up and audition him either for a spot in 2016 or see if a few decent starts can generate some interest from a contender? He's 3 years younger than Fiers, and just a couple years removed from a successful season.

Seems to me that make more sense to me than continuing to run Lohse out there every 5 days.

Wouldn't be opposed but only one more year of arbitration so if he does well it is basically just a trade piece for next summer's deadline.

I'm just tired of seeing Kyle Lohse get hammered start after start. Chacin isn't a long term (beyond 2016) option certainly, but they can't rely solely on untested guys from their system to fill out their rotation for the next year and a half. The other option is buy low guys and Chacin's just 27. If Chacin put together 5-6 solid starts between now and July 31st, there's still time to generate trade interest this year.

that an option or bring up Cravy

Difference is that contenders would be scouting Chacin knowing he could be available. True those contenders could add him now, but might want to see him against major league lineups before taking him on. Ideal situation is Chacin looks pretty good over 6 or so starts and somebody offers something of value. You then could get something back and still have the option of bringing up Cravy later. If Chacin struggles and doesn't look like he can help next year either, just let him go. It's really a low risk type move much like they did picking up Dominguez and Perez before him.

Right now they are stuck in the mud with an aging and expensive Lohse who frankly looks like he doesn't have it anymore.

I get what you're saying about trying to bring back some resources, but the Brewers can bring up any pitcher they want at this point without it costing service time so why not one of our guys? We'll still have them for 6 more full seasons and if he's a replaceable part like a Cravy or Jungmann and someone is willing to flip us a B or B+ prospect I'd be alright with that. Isn't the that more straightforward and logical solution?

To pickup a guy to hope he builds enough value to then spin him off for a C or C- prospect is a chain of events where pretty much everything has to go perfectly from the Brewer perspective for it to work out.

Edit. I realize I've been posting about avoiding linear moves lately, but given the time frame I just don't think Chacin is a good target, but I'm down with the out-of-the-box mentality.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He certainly seems intriguing- 3 very good years at Coors with a mediocre one sandwiched in there, before being bad last year and cut at the end of spring training. And he's 27. Probably more of a legitimate possibly contributor than a guy like Dominguez, considering his actual history of Major League success.

Considering his decent AAA numbers before optioning out, he seems worth a look. Though I think TheCrew07's point of just letting Cravy or Jungmann pitch is a fair point as well, but if they move Lohse and Garza we'd have more spots to fill.

Fangraphs pitching has Chacin going from a high of 91.1 to 88.0 in FB. He's always been a poor locator almost 4bb/9. So this isn't the type of guy that when he's losing velocity, he can "Pitch" to compensate. Already he was behind in FB velocity of being average to now below average w/o location. It's a pass. The guy has already been reclaimed twice this year and obviously they don't see anything left to make him a ML player again.

Archived