Brewer Fanatic

Matt Dominguez claimed and optioned; Wei-Chung Wang designated for assignment (Wang outrighted; post 100)

djoctagone
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Wang.

I'm guessing one of three things is going on:

1. Wang is nibbling in High A. The Brewers told him to pitch like a lefty who throws 93. Wang has refused. Melvin and Co. are done with him.

OR

2. Wang is nibbling at High A. Melvin thinks he is slick, and is going to use this as an opportunity to slip him through waivers.

OR

3. Melvin is anticipating a Ramirez trade and wants to stockpile junk 3b's at AAA to fill that black hole.

The nice thing about rebuilding is that you can add the scrap heap guys to your roster in hopes of finding the next Doug Davis or Casey McGehee.

I personally would have just cut the cord with Logan Schafer. But maybe Melvin foresee's trades of Gomez, Parra, and/or Braun and thinks he will need Schafer, Peterson, Matt Long etc.

Or Stache is correct and Melvin is a senile old man.

What a terrible move if Wang is lost for essentially nothing. Dominguez brings pretty much nothing to the table. He's a younger Mark Reynolds minus the power. In terms of value to the franchise over the next 3 years Wang>>>>>>Dominguez. Like I posted in the minor league thread about him, some posters just continue to feel like Wang's presence single handedly cost the team the playoffs last year and can't get past it.

Dominguez blows Mark Reynolds out of the water defensively. Absolutely blows him out of the water. I tracked this kid for three years before he reached the Majors. He was being touted as a Gold Glove caliber third baseman with plus power.

He's never reached his potential, but let's face it, he's better than anything we have in the minors right now that could contribute at the Major League level. That's how sad our system has become.

The DFA of Wang should be the last straw in Melvin's coffin. I've been done with him for a while, but this move, keeping him on the 40 man roster when he brought absolutely nothing to the team (and I do mean NOTHING), only to drop him the next year, is a big blinking sign that our General Manager is a clueless dolt that I wouldn't trust to run a Dairy Queen, let alone a Major League Baseball franchise. He's failed miserably at the Major League level. In three decades, none of his teams have reached the World Series. That's where we hope to one day get to, right? With Melvin at the helm, all we are doing is pushing the calendar back more. Melvin's continued employment by the Brewers only extends out this terrible trend further.

Whoop dee dee. I guess it's about time this organization gave a crap about defense but they had better options to dump than Wang. Schafer clearly should be gone, he offers nothing. I can't see any team claiming him. Same with Hellweg. No one's banging down the doors to acquire a marginal prospect coming off TJ. I'm not sure if Kintzler can be let go being on the DL, but his time is long past over. Plenty of people here don't like Wang because of whatever reason they have but no one can deny that he offers more for the future of the organization than any of those other 3.

Whoop dee dee. I guess it's about time this organization gave a crap about defense but they had better options to dump than Wang. Schafer clearly should be gone, he offers nothing. I can't see any team claiming him. Same with Hellweg. No one's banging down the doors to acquire a marginal prospect coming off TJ. I'm not sure if Kintzler can be let go being on the DL, but his time is long past over. Plenty of people here don't like Wang because of whatever reason they have but no one can deny that he offers more for the future of the organization than any of those other 3.

Agreed on Schafer and Kinztler. Waste of roster space.

That said. The Wang thing just never made sense. The idea in 2014 was to compete, yet they were willing to blow a roster spot and roster flexibility on a dude that they are now willing to cut 6 months after they fully acquired his rights?

The whole saga was just weird.

Verified Member

Matt Dominguez is still only 25 and is a former Baseball America top-100 prospect (#64 in 2009, #81 in 2011). Baseball Prospectus had him in the top-30 for 2009.

There have been position players who have figured out to hit in their late 20s, there is a non-zero chance that Dominguez could do the same and become a decent player. Not saying it's likely, but probably similar odds to WCW becoming a valuable major league pitcher.

Matt Dominguez is still only 25 and is a former Baseball America top-100 prospect (#64 in 2009, #81 in 2011). Baseball Prospectus had him in the top-30 for 2009.

There have been position players who have figured out to hit in their late 20s, there is a non-zero chance that Dominguez could do the same and become a decent player.

Carlos Gomez anyone?

So this means that Wei Chung Wang Wednesdays are history? The only thing more dumb than him actually clogging up our roster in the first place last year was that he even got a stupid day named after him. Right behind Hank the dog as far as idiotic things go.

So, what exactly is DM's plan here? After bringing in Hernan whathisname and now Dominguez, one of the worst statistical players in all of baseball the last 2 seasons, who was replaced by a player who pretty much just hits homers doesn't strike me as much more than throwing something against a wall as much as you can and praying that it sticks. That's not how you win championships. That's not how you have even a mediocre season.

I can't believe the rioting over dropping a so-so prospect(might not lose him! We don't even know!) for a guy that out up 2 WAR just two years ago. He is very good with the glove and there is still potential in his bat. These are the types of moves we should be making as we rebuild for the next couple of years at the least!

Hernan Perez was the same type of move. Might as well have a young guy instead of an old Herrera. Maybe you find something there...it is a no lose situation.

Sure it might suck to lose Wang, but he would need a 40man spot from any team and his salary is hefty(for a struggling guy in A ball). I wouldn't be surprised to see him pass through waivers. Not sure how you riot over the loss of a guy yet to be picked up by someone else.

He is very good with the glove and there is still potential in his bat.

Dominguez? Very good? Did you watch him play? I did all last season. Mediocre in the field and atrocious at the plate. So much so that he started the year in the minors! I don't care about Wang, but I care about bringing garbage like Dominguez. Moves like this have me ready to give up on this team. And I've been a fan since 82. The ups and downs, I was there. Now, I just don't know.

What a terrible move if Wang is lost for essentially nothing. Dominguez brings pretty much nothing to the table. He's a younger Mark Reynolds minus the power. In terms of value to the franchise over the next 3 years Wang>>>>>>Dominguez. Like I posted in the minor league thread about him, some posters just continue to feel like Wang's presence single handedly cost the team the playoffs last year and can't get past it.

Dominguez blows Mark Reynolds out of the water defensively. Absolutely blows him out of the water. I tracked this kid for three years before he reached the Majors. He was being touted as a Gold Glove caliber third baseman with plus power.

He's never reached his potential, but let's face it, he's better than anything we have in the minors right now that could contribute at the Major League level. That's how sad our system has become.

The DFA of Wang should be the last straw in Melvin's coffin. I've been done with him for a while, but this move, keeping him on the 40 man roster when he brought absolutely nothing to the team (and I do mean NOTHING), only to drop him the next year, is a big blinking sign that our General Manager is a clueless dolt that I wouldn't trust to run a Dairy Queen, let alone a Major League Baseball franchise. He's failed miserably at the Major League level. In three decades, none of his teams have reached the World Series. That's where we hope to one day get to, right? With Melvin at the helm, all we are doing is pushing the calendar back more. Melvin's continued employment by the Brewers only extends out this terrible trend further.

I remember the Brewers saying the same about nick delmonico as far as hitting and fielding and he never panned out. I think ultimately you need to look at the owner.

Whine when we don't make a move, then whine when we do.

Do you people think that in the middle of June Miguel Cabrera, Jose Bautista, and Mike Trout are on the waiver wire? I don't get it. Quit playing fantasy baseball and start seeing the real world. Taking shots on former decent prospects who haven't panned out is exactly what we should be doing at this point, maybe a change of scenery or a new coach will unlock something in them.

Who exactly do you folks expect to play 3B when Aramis is traded? Rogers is Matt Dominguez, they're all the same...middling prospects. For crying out loud Dominguez is TWO YEARS YOUNGER THAN JASON ROGERS, yet everyone on here thinks Rogers is what we're looking for. The kid hit 21 HR in 2013, teach him to take a few walks & put a few more balls in play and hes a useful member of this team. Sure it most likely won't work, but the idea behind it is not rocket science.

Remember last year when everyone was clamoring for Mike Moustakas as a reclamation project? He was essentially identical to what Dominguez is... .230 / .280 / .650 and 25 years old.

Would you look at what happened this year...currently slashing .320 / .378 / .452 / .830.

Funny how when the Brewers make a reclamation project move it's met with hostility, but if it's somebody else's idea its all fine and dandy.

My problem isn't that we picked up Dominguez. He's a fine stopgap for a year or two with maybe a little upside. My problem is we have so much old, no value crap on the 40 man roster and we may have gotten rid of a guy who, even if the chance is small, might have a future with the Brewers the next time we're ready to compete.

My problem isn't that we picked up Dominguez. He's a fine stopgap for a year or two with maybe a little upside. My problem is we have so much old, no value crap on the 40 man roster and we may have gotten rid of a guy who, even if the chance is small, might have a future with the Brewers the next time we're ready to compete.

This is a straw man argument. He's 25 years old and is not a free agent until 2019. One year sooner than Wang. Dominguez has MLB experience, Wang is A+ material and has sucked at it. He may not ever see AAA let alone the bigs.

We probably just drafted 5 pitchers who will make it further than Wei Chung Wang will ever get. I don't know why we ever wasted the time and roster spot on him last year...who knows he may still end up in our organization anyway. It doesn't matter.

Community Moderator

Not trying to be a Matt Dominguez apologist, but I don't think adding him to the 40 man roster is so terrible. I don't love the team potentially subtracting a good young arm at a time when they should be adding prospects by the fistfuls, but I am hopeful this might be a mere insurance step before they go into full blown rebuild mode. Also, while Dominguez certainly has had struggles, I am willing to take a chance on a 25-year old with at least some major league caliber tools that may very well have his prime years ahead of him. It seems like worst case scenario you have someone you can stick at 3B defensively during a transition phase for the organization. Best case scenario, even if the chances are very slim, the guy could have a breakout similar to another 25-year old 3B waiver wire pick up from back in 2008.

I guess count me in on taking a chance. Now if the team doesn't start adding prospects and competitive balance picks in the near future I will probably change my outlook.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

This is a straw man argument.

Seriously? Pot/kettle much? Going to the straw man card simply because you don't agree with the other posters opinion is actually the epitome of straw man.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Players on the 40 man roster I would DFA before Wang.

Broxton

Cotts

Kintzler (probably can't because of DL)

Centeno

Clark

Perez

Schafer

Lohse

Yeah, we can keep holding out hope that Lohse will turn it around and get us something of value. Or we can keep a 28 year old career minor league 1B who can barely OPS .800 in Colorado Springs. Or a 28 year old outfielder who currently has an OPS of .611 in Colorado Springs. But it doesn't really make sense to keep these guys on the 40 man, especially over a guy like Wang, does it? Especially when at minimum 20% of our 40 man roster is complete crap with no future on our next competitive team.

Like I said. Picking up Dominguez is fine.

Players on the 40 man roster I would DFA before Wang.

Broxton

Cotts

Kintzler (probably can't because of DL)

Centeno

Clark

Perez

Schafer

Lohse

Yeah, we can keep holding out hope that Lohse will turn it around and get us something of value. Or we can keep a 28 year old career minor league 1B who can barely OPS .800 in Colorado Springs. Or a 28 year old outfielder who currently has an OPS of .611 in Colorado Springs. But it doesn't really make sense to keep these guys on the 40 man, especially over a guy like Wang, does it? Especially when at minimum 20% of our 40 man roster is complete crap with no future on our next competitive team.

Like I said. Picking up Dominguez is fine.

Yes, there were other guys I would have cut before Wang, and yes I think the 40-man will be much more interesting in about two years than it is right now.

The most disappointing aspect for me is, that is how I feel, and still, I can't really argue against cutting Wang either, based on the way he's pitched. That's a lot of dead weight right now.

Honestly, picking up Dominguez and even Hernan Perez give me a tiny shred of hope, or maybe even two. First, maybe that the powers that be have figured out that they're in the talent acquisition phase...they are more willing to use this year to give playing time to guys that might have some upside. Dominguez was not so long ago looked at as a top prospect, and while his offensive game has some massive warts, he does at least have the reputation of playing defense well enough that he doesn't need to be a great hitter to have value. (Admittedly, the last year plus he has fallen short of even that low bar...) Which leads me to the second thing; maybe, just maybe, somebody in Brewerland has learned to value defense? If we're going to be going with young pitchers, many with ground ball tendencies, it would be kind of nice to at least put a good defense behind them. OK, it's not a lot of silver lining, but it's something...

Taking the risk of losing WCW does seem a bit odd after the investment, but if you can't get outs in Brevard County at age 23, I'm not sure you're really a prospect any more, and I'm not sure a team is likely to spend a 40 man roster spot. The best thing for him would be to be off the 40 so he can develop or not at his own pace.

Remember last year when everyone was clamoring for Mike Moustakas as a reclamation project? He was essentially identical to what Dominguez is... .230 / .280 / .650 and 25 years old.

Would you look at what happened this year...currently slashing .320 / .378 / .452 / .830.

Funny how when the Brewers make a reclamation project move it's met with hostility, but if it's somebody else's idea its all fine and dandy.

Excellent post! I was just about to say same thing! Like Gomez as well, he was pushed up 2 quickly and never really got the time he needed to develop. He was pushed to AA by 20 and was first called up at 21 I believe. His 2 full seasons were at 23/24 and he struggled. Some guys have the talent there and just take awhile to click. Always worth giving them a chance. Not like he is 29-30..... He is 25. Same age as Segura and Jimmy Nelson. Little young to say his career is over. How long did it take Nelson Cruz to figure it out? It happens, when you have very few options, why not roll the dice

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Archived