Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis Cardinals get to Hacking (Astros servers) … Latest: Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa sentenced to 46 months, must pay $279K restitution; post 143

bjkrautk
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I realize it's the Cardinals and screw the Cardinals...... but does anyone else think 4 years in the joint is a bit much for hacking into someone else's computer (considering the guy's password was probably "Go@stros1")

We got affluenza teen getting probation for quadruple homicide. Stanford swimmer getting 3 months for raping an unconscious girl, and this guy gets 4 years for what amounts to snooping around in the Astros draft database.

What's wrong with this picture??

I mean, if it was the same judge handing down all the sentences for the cases you listed, I would be with you 100%. Just because a couple of idiotic judges handed down nothing sentences doesn't mean Correa doesn't deserve 46 months.

I *don't* think he deserves 46 months. It's a non-violent crime. I realize corporate espionage isn't a "victimless" crime and is serious, but 4 years in *prison* doesn't make sense.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 years is a light sentence, people get 10+ years for corporate espionage.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

• 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ken Rosenthal said that the Cardinals are unlikely to lose draft picks due to the Houston database hacking incident. The reason is that any lose of draft picks would have to be negotiated with the Players Union since that element is part of the collective bargaining agreement. The union is not going to want draft picks forfeited - and the associated draft pool money - as that's less money for their members.

He said a fine is the likely thing. I believe the most the league can fine a club is $2M.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video?vid=767540291650

Ken Rosenthal said that the Cardinals are unlikely to lose draft picks due to the Houston database hacking incident. The reason is that any lose of draft picks would have to be negotiated with the Players Union since that element is part of the collective bargaining agreement. The union is not going to want draft picks forfeited - and the associated draft pool money - as that's less money for their members.

He said a fine is the likely thing. I believe the most the league can fine a club is $2M.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video?vid=767540291650

So they will basically get off scot free which is what myself and many others have been saying all along. I can sort of understand the draft picks issue with the players union, except these guys aren't members until they're on a 40 man roster, so taking away draft pool money has zero impact and players union members.

How hard would it be to just redistribute the money allotted for any picks the Cardinals are docked to other draft slots so that the overall amount stays the same? If they're worried about one or two less players being drafted because STL loses picks then give them the picks back at the end of the draft.

Right now STL are on pace to pick 16th in the 2017 draft. The 16th pick in the most recent draft had a slot amount of 2.66 million, it was 2.53 million the year before. Let's say next year it will be about 2.8 million dollars. Dock STL the pick, and raise all the other slot amounts by however much it divides out to. Quick & dirty it looks like all slots from round 1-10 could be raised by about 9 grand going that route.

Doesn't shock me that a team like the Cardinals would get off basically free.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

They could easily say the Cardinals are ineligible for a competitive balance pick for the next 5 years or so. The pick would go to the next team in line, so no pick would be lost from the draft.

This is a good point and should be bare minimum. Bottom line is they committed a pretty audacious crime and baseball shouldn't side step it. The NFL would have zero tolerance for it - not that they do everything right but MLB has had a history of turning a blind eye to cheating.

Archived