Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis Cardinals get to Hacking (Astros servers) … Latest: Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa sentenced to 46 months, must pay $279K restitution; post 143

bjkrautk

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14531169/christopher-correa-former-st-louis-cardinals-executive-pleads-guilty-hacking-houston-astros-database

Correa has pleaded guilty to 5 counts of unauthorized access to a protected computer.

Here is a quote from US attorney:

"Unauthorized computer intrusion is not to be taken lightly," U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said in a statement released by the Department of Justice. "Whether it's preserving the sanctity of America's pastime or protecting trade secrets, those that unlawfully gain proprietary information by accessing computers without authorization must be held accountable for their illegal actions."

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

To summarize: Associate leaves Cardinals to go to Astros and turns in his laptop and password. He then goes to Astros and reuses same password. (Hand slaps forhead. Aye yi yi.) always ask yourself one simple question: What could go wrong?

So far the best piece released is Miami asking for Carlos Correa and George Springer for Stanton.

Did something happen other than the year and a half old article on deadspin that you bumped a buried thread?....

Did the Cardinals ever get any type of punishment?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the new article was off to the side. Here is a better link to the news.

http://deadspin.com/report-ex-cardinals-executive-to-plead-guilty-to-hacki-1751842009

Sorry here is the link I meant to post as court records became public today

http://deadspin.com/feds-cardinals-guy-hacked-the-astros-by-using-an-old-p-1751856534

Quote from MLB:

In a statement, MLB said it appreciated the work of federal law enforcement authorities on the case. “We anticipate that the authorities will share with us the results of their investigation at the appropriate time,” the statement read, “and we will determine what further actions to take after receiving all the relevant information.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cardinals-scouting-director-to-plead-guilty-to-hacking-houston-astros-1452271222

I would hope the Cardinals as an organization get a severe penalty for this. To think that just one individual was doing this while the rest of the front office was unaware is well beyond naive.
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14531169/christopher-correa-former-st-louis-cardinals-executive-pleads-guilty-hacking-houston-astros-database

Correa has pleaded guilty to 5 counts of unauthorized access to a protected computer.

Here is a quote from US attorney:

"Unauthorized computer intrusion is not to be taken lightly," U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson said in a statement released by the Department of Justice. "Whether it's preserving the sanctity of America's pastime or protecting trade secrets, those that unlawfully gain proprietary information by accessing computers without authorization must be held accountable for their illegal actions."

You wouldn't download a scouting report...

http://i.imgur.com/Hvvqep4.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While I got a kick out of this whole story from day one, have to admit I feel bad for Correa to be facing prison time for these transgressions. By accounts I read he was a dedicated guy that worked his way up over the years from a position as a part-time Cardinals employee to only recently become the scouting director. Sounds like he was well liked throughout the Org and now he has ruined not only his career, but years of his life. All for viewing someone else's proprietary information. I know he clearly knew what he was doing was wrong (although I wonder if he considered the magnitude of penalty he could face if caught), and I am not saying he shouldn't be facing prison time, just that it is an unfortunate set of circumstances.

On a lighter note, one funny quote from Judge Hughes to Correa, “Explain to me what Ground Control is. My son is a rocket scientist and I thought I knew.”

Which brings me to a question I have had since Stearns took over, what would be a good name for the Brewers internal network version of Ground Control or Redbird? Maybe Craft Brew?

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I like the Fermentation Tank.

Still not buying Correa's motive or at least sole motive. He accessed the Astros's database on his busiest and days when it would be most beneficial to access it to validate that they weren't using their proprietary tools?

Which brings me to a question I have had since Stearns took over, what would be a good name for the Brewers internal network version of Ground Control or Redbird? Maybe Craft Brew?

Hmmm. The amateur scouting database has to be called Genuine Draft, right?

Yep, I like it. That fits right in

torts linked to the available penalties in post 75.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-legal-implications-of-the-cardinals-alleged-hacking/

fangraphs put all the fed legal issues in play, and below is what the Commish/MLB will have to play with:

In the case of conduct by Major League Clubs, owners, officers, employees or players that is deemed by the Commissioner not to be in the best interests of Baseball, punitive action by the Commissioner for each offense may include any one or more of the following: (a) a reprimand; (b) deprivation of a Major League Club of representation in Major League Meetings; © suspension or removal of any owner, officer or employee of a Major League Club; (d) temporary or permanent ineligibility of a player; (e) a fine, not to exceed $2,000,000 in the case of a Major League Club, not to exceed $500,000 in the case of an owner, officer or employee, and in an amount consistent with the then-current Basic Agreement with the Major League Baseball Players Association, in the case of a player; (f) loss of the benefit of any or all of the Major League Rules, including but not limited to the denial or transfer of player selection rights provided by Major League Rules 4 and 5; and (g) such other actions as the Commissioner may deem appropriate.

The maximum $2 million team fine doesn't come close to addressing the seriousness of what's been admitted to, but I supposed it's possible that baseball could consider this to be multiple transgressions. Still, if it's three incidents, $6 million isn't much either. I'd bet on fines levied against the team plus the loss of draft picks. "Such other actions as the Commissioner may deem appropriate" offers leeway to get "creative" outside of increasing fines.

I'd expect Correa to be officially banned, although that's just symbolic. I'm not sure if baseball can fine a former employee, but even if they could, I don't see that doing much good. Fines are more effective to "encourage" a current employee to avoid similar mistakes in the future.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't want MLB to take away an entire Cards draft. They still need to field teams for their short season squads. What I want them to do is take away say the top 5 rounds of picks for the Cardinals for the next 5 years and the bonus pool money that's associated with it.

Yeah, the short season squads and the bonus pool money crossed my mind too. It wouldn't be fair to punish draftees as a side effect of sanctioning the Cardinals. If the Cardinals were to lose pool money, maybe that amount could be made available to the other teams. That would more or less assure that players would get that money one way or another.

I don't want MLB to take away an entire Cards draft. They still need to field teams for their short season squads. What I want them to do is take away say the top 5 rounds of picks for the Cardinals for the next 5 years and the bonus pool money that's associated with it.

I think the most serious draft punishment would be one first round draft pick(maybe another lower pick or so). I'd also want the signing of any player with a pick attached to them that given year to force them to surrender a future first rounder. And that same rule to apply until they have an offseason where they sign no player with a pick attached. So they truly are surrendering a first round pick.

I don't see an issue of taking their bonus pool money away. That is what happens when you sign a free agent and lose the pick. Maybe if the league believes the Astros were hurt by this they can be given a comp pick to essentially make up for that money in the draft. Honestly I don't think it would be a problem to just take the pick and money away.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think the Cardinals should be forced to wear leotards.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They can fill out teams with undrafted free agents.

But if they were sanctioned with losing their first 5 picks (whatever rounds those would be), and the pool money associated with those picks, I could live with that.

I feel like nothing severe is going to happen and it is going to be 'water under the bridge'.

I kind of feel that way too, although it's way too early for anything to happen. I think MLB is being up front when they say that the court stuff has to be out of the way for them to get into the nuts and bolts of their own investigating. That said, I'm surprised that we saw guilty pleas this soon.

This is the Cardinals we are talking about....there will be nothing big that will happen to them. At this point if they at least were stripped of a 1st round pick and some bonus pool money I'd be happy. In all honesty though, I don't foresee MLB doing anything.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

This is the Cardinals we are talking about....there will be nothing big that will happen to them. At this point if they at least were stripped of a 1st round pick and some bonus pool money I'd be happy. In all honesty though, I don't foresee MLB doing anything.

Except that baseball is big on curses so don't expect them to win another World Series again in our lifetime, which is a good thing.

Except that baseball is big on curses so don't expect them to win another World Series again in our lifetime, which is a good thing.

Sure, maybe if it was the Brewers that did the offense I'd believe this but the Cardinals? They will probably win it next season somehow.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived