Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis Cardinals get to Hacking (Astros servers) … Latest: Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa sentenced to 46 months, must pay $279K restitution; post 143

bjkrautk
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are setting up for the Cardinals getting away with it based on the possibility of it being a single rouge employee instead of higher ups. This is just mlbtraderumors speculation but this could be a very unsatisfactory ending.

The password is....1....2....3...4.

That's the same combination on my luggage!

That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard of in my life! That's the kinda thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A summary of the feeling in STL. "Haters gonna Hate". One out of 20 may actually admit that this is bad. Most believe it is a rogue computer nerd who didn't accomplish anything and was working out of mom's basement.

They love it when I refer to them as the STL Patriots in conversation. It's not getting old either, the reactions are priceless :)

They are setting up for the Cardinals getting away with it based on the possibility of it being a single rouge employee instead of higher ups. This is just mlbtraderumors speculation but this could be a very unsatisfactory ending.

This is why I was wondering about the black sox scandal. Unless the owner, GM, or President can be linked I don't think there will be much of a punishment for the franchise. The perpetrators will get lifetime bans and that will be it.

This is why I was wondering about the black sox scandal. Unless the owner, GM, or President can be linked I don't think there will be much of a punishment for the franchise. The perpetrators will get lifetime bans and that will be it.

That might be true but it sure as hell puts a major kink in the Cardinal way armor. If their way is the right way someone forgot to make sure all the front office employees knew about it. Whoever did it was not a janitor, vending or in promotions. It was someone who was actually part of that specific player acquisition apparatus. This is already every bit as embarrassing to them as Braun was getting caught was to us. At this point both are single employees doing wrong and getting caught. If more comes out than a single employee with a grudge it will be that much worse.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Looks like they are investigating 4 or 5 employees

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/17/report-four-to-five-cardinals-employees-being-focused-on-by-investigators/

That might be true but it sure as hell puts a major kink in the Cardinal way armor. If their way is the right way someone forgot to make sure all the front office employees knew about it. Whoever did it was not a janitor, vending or in promotions. It was someone who was actually part of that specific player acquisition apparatus. This is already every bit as embarrassing to them as Braun was getting caught was to us. At this point both are single employees doing wrong and getting caught. If more comes out than a single employee with a grudge it will be that much worse.

This is the Cardinals. Nothing is going to change the perception of that franchise. Not the multiple alcohol related player deaths, not the bean ball wars, not the signing and subsequent praising of steroid cheats, and not this.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

This is the Cardinals. Nothing is going to change the perception of that franchise. Not the multiple alcohol related player deaths, not the bean ball wars, not the signing and subsequent praising of steroid cheats, and not this.

I think you're quite wrong on that. This story has legs, and is all over the place.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If true, the punishment from MLB will be the least of their worries.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They have to at least lose draft picks from this, right? I mean does a fine really do anything unless we're talking something like $20M+ which even I would find over the top.

It's not quite the same thing but did the White Sox organization receive any punishment for the black sox scandal?

every player from the black sox scandal was banned from baseball for life

[sarcasm]Hmm that works for me. Ban the cardinals franchise forever.[/sarcasm]

Maybe that shouldn't be in blue...

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

amen. up to 5 years per access. I forget the dollar amount, but its also per access. So it all depends how many times they entered the database

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/18/jeff-luhnow-cardinals-astros-hacking-scandal

“That’s absolutely false,” said Luhnow, who worked as a technology executive before he began his career in baseball. “I absolutely know about password hygiene and best practices. I’m certainly aware of how important passwords are, as well as of the importance of keeping them updated. A lot of my job in baseball, as it was in high tech, is to make sure that intellectual property is protected. I take that seriously and hold myself and those who work for me to a very high standard.”

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I hope this goes to some kind of trial or hearing where someone testifies against the Cardinals and untucks their dress shirt when they leave the witness stand.

:laughing

Of course this hacking situation is no laughing matter. I hope the Cards get nailed big time.

amen. up to 5 years per access. I forget the dollar amount, but its also per access. So it all depends how many times they entered the database

Yes, a few people are going to get jail time but unless someone really high up in the franchise can be proven to have been involved I don't see MLB really doing anything other than a fine and the narrative will always be that it was just a few rouge employees with a personal vendetta.

Know what's the most exciting part about this?

EVERYTHING

After the Braun suspension, I realized I should vow to take the high road when other teams (players or other employees) get in high-profile trouble, since Brewers fans now know what that feels like.

I've been struggling with that high road ever since this news broke. I'd been looking forward to reading the general reactions on Brewerfan and y'all haven't disappointed. :)

If you do nothing else with Twitter, the handle @BestFansStLouis is worth a follow, or at least a look: https://twitter.com/bestfansstlouis. Here's an example (bold added by me):

Baseball's Best Fans retweeted

Ryan Menley ‏@RyanMenley Jun 16

The FBI is just jealous of the @Cardinals ' success. #hatersgonhate

The FBI goes after suspects because of jealousy. Y'okay, sure.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Big black eye for the organization. But I see no way in hell GM Mozelic gets fired. They can blame it on some crazy employee, but it's been my experience that cheaters are notorious apple polishers, meaning whoever is responsible would make SURE that the boss knew he was doing it. Otherwise, what's the point?

The lying, cheating LaRussa dodged steroid bullets for years when everybody and his mother knew who was using. To this day he won't admit his part in it....Mo' will never admit it either.

it's been my experience that cheaters are notorious apple polishers, meaning whoever is responsible would make SURE that the boss knew he was doing it. Otherwise, what's the point?

That's what I'm thinking. Latest reports say this wasn't isolated to just one or two accesses. They went in to the system several times. That tells me that maybe it started off initially as someone just fooling around, and happened to find something (maybe some statistical models that the Cards thought were propriertary to their org). And then they probably told their boss & co-workers, who it's likely would have said, "Oh really? What else is in there?"

If I were to come across some information about a competitor in my industry that I could use, I would be faced with an ethical dilemma. Do I "do the right thing" and ignore it? Or do I pass along the information and try to get more of it to exploit this opportunity? Based on the evidence showing multiple times of access, my money is on the Cards doing the latter. Someone higher up knew this was going on.

As far as the Cards GM using the "I know nothing" defense, he should ask Sean Payton how that worked out for him in New Orleans.

Gruber Lawffices

I think the GM will get fired or MLB won't even give them the choice and just suspend him. Just feel they will be made as an example to show that MLB will not tolerate this. I have serious doubts that the GM did not know about this though, maybe not until later but my guess is that he knew.

• 2 weeks later...
The Cardinals have fired their scouting director. So much for the hack being done or only known by low level personnel.

He's admitting to do it just claiming he didn't do anything illegal. Ok?

I still don't see the Cardinals getting punished in any way that us Brewer fans want to see.

• 6 months later...

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

To summarize: Associate leaves Cardinals to go to Astros and turns in his laptop and password. He then goes to Astros and reuses same password. (Hand slaps forhead. Aye yi yi.) always ask yourself one simple question: What could go wrong?

So far the best piece released is Miami asking for Carlos Correa and George Springer for Stanton.

http://deadspin.com/leaked-10-months-of-the-houston-astros-internal-trade-1597951970?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

To summarize: Associate leaves Cardinals to go to Astros and turns in his laptop and password. He then goes to Astros and reuses same password. (Hand slaps forhead. Aye yi yi.) always ask yourself one simple question: What could go wrong?

So far the best piece released is Miami asking for Carlos Correa and George Springer for Stanton.

Did something happen other than the year and a half old article on deadspin that you bumped a buried thread?....

Did the Cardinals ever get any type of punishment?

Edit: Nevermind, I see the new article was off to the side. Here is a better link to the news.

http://deadspin.com/report-ex-cardinals-executive-to-plead-guilty-to-hacki-1751842009

Archived