Brewer Fanatic

St. Louis Cardinals get to Hacking (Astros servers) … Latest: Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa sentenced to 46 months, must pay $279K restitution; post 143

bjkrautk
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
In all seriousness, the club could really get nailed hard for something like this. This is an FBI investigation - not just some piddly complaint. It's corporate espionage - and someone is going to get nailed. As someone noted, you could see some lost draft picks, that sort of thing.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a player can be banned from baseball for gambling, the penalty for an organization doing something like this better be very severe. Banned from post-season for 3 years, and loss of multiple 1st round draft picks. Oh, and jail time for whoever was personally involved in this.

Loss of picks and a fine. I doubt they can enforce a post season ban?

well MLB will enforce penalties on top of criminal penalties, so it could really hurt the franchise. There are two separate punishments that will come from this

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Community Moderator

Unfortunately this isn't as juicy as I initially hoped. Sounds like they just guessed the password. Not really "hacking" in my opinion. It's unlikely to involve multiple teams or some complex technological scheme.

That said, they are still going to get in big trouble and I will enjoy every second of it.

I'm grinning ear-to-ear.

Jeff Luhnow may be an incredible GM for the Astros, but he's a computer idiot. The Cards got in to the Astro systems via passwords he (EDIT: and other ex-employees) re-used from his time in St. Louis. What a mental midget.

Reusing passwords is more common than you think. People are usually the weakest link in security.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

They have to at least lose draft picks from this, right? I mean does a fine really do anything unless we're talking something like $20M+ which even I would find over the top.

It's not quite the same thing but did the White Sox organization receive any punishment for the black sox scandal?

They have to at least lose draft picks from this, right? I mean does a fine really do anything unless we're talking something like $20M+ which even I would find over the top.

It's not quite the same thing but did the White Sox organization receive any punishment for the black sox scandal?

every player from the black sox scandal was banned from baseball for life

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Yeah, how would a postseason ban work? Could the Cubs end up winning the Central?

Yes, Cubs would win the division. Then another WC spot opens up. Then again, this could all take a while and the ban would be for next season. I don't think MLB will go that far, but they should. Now that everything is on the cloud, MLB needs to come down really strong on this so nobody ever thinks about doing it again.

And it doesn't matter if this was technically "hacking" or not. They gained access to a network that is not theirs, that's the crime- however they were able to get in.

They could do pool money I would think and draft picks. I doubt the CBA has a fine that means much, since I doubt this was ever anticipated.

I have more security on my fantasy team than the Astros had. This story is going to get fun.

I mean the actual business organization. Not the players.

I dojnt see the CBA playing into this at all as the MLBPA had nothing to do with this.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

This would be outside the scope of the CBA. The people allegedly involved are management.

It's a mind blower that the Astros employees supposedly reused passwords. People should never use the same password twice.

It's also a mind blower that the Cardinals allegedly had access to employee passwords. That's a huge security hole.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I dojnt see the CBA playing into this at all as the MLBPA had nothing to do with this.

You are right. I have no idea what the framework for fines would be here? Regardless, no "typical" fine would get the point across.

I mean the actual business organization. Not the players.

It was the players who cheated not the organization. It's hard to penalize the team for something they had no part in. Though the loss of all the players involved had to hurt plenty as is.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

yup, they dropped to 7th place the following year and didnt make the pennant for another 15 seasons.

also, anyone else kind of surprised that Levy didnt break the news on OTL?

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Unfortunately this isn't as juicy as I initially hoped. Sounds like they just guessed the password. Not really "hacking" in my opinion. It's unlikely to involve multiple teams or some complex technological scheme.

That said, they are still going to get in big trouble and I will enjoy every second of it.

It doesn't matter if it's guessing the password. "hacking" still falls within the scope of illicitly gaining access to someone else's private data files, even if they (for lack of a better term) 'left the door open'.

You are right. I have no idea what the framework for fines would be here? Regardless, no "typical" fine would get the point across.

The commissioner's office would have a lot of leeway to discipline because management employees don't have the same level of protection that the players have.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It would be a nice sign if the Brewers had a database worth hacking, but that means your organization would have proprietary information worth stealing and your GM and his staff would need to know how to run a VPN and login to the team network

Some name suggestions if the Brewers setup their own network:

Failure30

DontDoThis

ABC123

If it turns out to be true, you have to think loss of draft picks, a sizable fine, and banning of employees are on the table. If ownership is involved a Steinbrenner level suspension is in order.

Archived