Brewer Fanatic

Your 2015 Helena / Maryvale Brewers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Adam Rygg of @BrewerNation has posted this preliminary Helena roster.

Four 2015 draft picks are included

-- 8th round RHP Nate Griep, Kansas State

-- 5th round SS Blake Allemand, Texas A&M

-- 11th round 3B/SS Jose Cuas, Maryland

-- 19th round 1B Steve Karkenny, The Master's College (CA)

Switch-hitting OF Jose Cotto of USC the first non-drafted free agent signing.

Where is RHP Miguel Diaz? That means the Top 30 prospect (#14), listed as a "rehab" participant of extended spring training, is still hurting with an undisclosed injury. Bummer...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Is Denson on the Rattler's taxi squad or is he in AZ?

When Denson was pulled from the Wisconsin roster, he then went to Maryvale to join the extended spring training guys. To my knowledge, the "taxi/reserve" guys have only been part of the travelling squads at AAA and AA.

The taxi squad guys travel with the teams, those are just paper moves. Denson hasn't been in the dugout with the T-Rats, he was demoted.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Not sure it means much and in any case we'll find out soon enough but Denson is listed on the Helena roster at Milb.com along with Gatewood and Harrison. Maybe they want to keep those guys together and bring them through the system as a wave.

I'm more intrigued by the rookie leagues than has been the case in quite some time. I'm particularly curious to see how the outfield assignments shake out; with Segovia and Pierre up from the DSL (I assume?), added to high draft choices Clark and Orimoloye, Maryvale seems to have an embarrassment of riches.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I'm more intrigued by the rookie leagues than has been the case in quite some time. I'm particularly curious to see how the outfield assignments shake out; with Segovia and Pierre up from the DSL (I assume?), added to high draft choices Clark and Orimoloye, Maryvale seems to have an embarrassment of riches.

February 08, 2012

Wow! First SoCalBrewfan post since that date. One of the all-time greats! Welcome back and don't be a stranger!

February 08, 2012

Wow! First SoCalBrewfan post since that date. One of the all-time greats! Welcome back and don't be a stranger!

Was about to post the same thing - welcome back!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Ryan Collingwood of the Helena Independent Record --

Preliminary roster

We know there's no way only 11 pitchers and two catchers will get the team through more than the first few days.

But if you've been following our Draft Forum, you know some picks that you'd think would have signed by now, have not.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A Bittersweet Start

Falling just short of CWS, Allemand starts pro career in Helena

Ryan Collingwood, Helena Independent Record

PHOTOS AT THE LINK

The few days between the MLB Draft and an organization's developmental team's first practice are typically frenzied for a young prospect.

Between the uncertainty, contract talks and impending relocation to what will likely be an unfamiliar region, it can be a mentally taxing process.

For second baseman Blake Allemand, the Milwaukee Brewers' fifth pick in the 2015 draft (151st overall) the last week has been especially frenetic.

On June 8, Allemand, an All-American shortstop at Texas A&M, saw himself on the cusp of the College World Series when his Aggies locked up with TCU in an NCAA Super Regional game in Fort Worth that will likely go down as the best collegiate baseball game of the year.

Unfortunately for Allemand, the Aggies came up short in that 16-inning marathon -- the game lasted 5 hours and 55 minutes and ended at 1 a.m. -- that saw the Horned Frogs punch their ticket to Omaha in a 5-4 decision by way of an error.

A deflated Allemand then boarded his team bus, which didn't arrive back in College Station until around 5:30 a.m. Around 11:30, though, a call woke him. It was the Brewers. He was their second pick on the second day of draft.

"I was still half asleep at that point," Allemand said with a smile. "I didn't really know what was going because I was so tired."

His parents, ecstatic at the news of his draft call, happened to be in town when the Brewers made their pick. It was also his sister's birthday. The pain of finishing a few outs short of a College World Series berth was temporarily eased. This was his consolation.

After a couple days of celebration, Allemand learned he would be getting shipped to the Brewers' advanced rookie club in Helena. A team he admittedly didn't know existed.

"The only thing I knew about Helena is that it's the capital," said Allemand, who flew into town on Friday. "That's pretty much the end of my knowledge."

The 5-foot-10, 170-pound switch hitter batted .339 as a senior with seven home runs and seven stolen bases. Defensively, he played shortstop, second base and occasionally third base at A&M. Through the first three days of practice in Helena, he's played primarily at second.

Allemand is currently the second-highest pick of the Brewers' 2015 draft class assigned to the Brewers. Right-handed pitcher Cody Ponce from Cal Poly Pomona was a second-round pick (55th overall) and is also assigned to Helena but hasn't yet arrived.

Eighth-rounder Nate Griep (RHP, Kansas State), 11th-rounder Jose Cuas (3B, Maryland) 19th-rounder and Steven Karkenny (1B,The Master's College) round out the 2015 draft picks currently on Helena's roster.

Allemand is happy to get a jump to his career in the Pioneer League, but still wishes his team collegiate career would have ended differently.

"It hasn't really hit me yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting this chapter of my life started," Allemand said. "It's bittersweet. I still wish I was playing in Omaha right now with my teammates. That would be awesome. We were one game away, so that was tough. But at the same time, I'm blessed to be able to start my career."

I would think so yes.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Story via the college --

Congrats to Brewers undrafted FA signee RHP Jose Flores (@JMFlores_92) out of USAO, an NAIA college in Oklahoma

As noted prior in this thread, switch-hitting OF Jose Cotto of USC was the first non-drafted free agent signing.

Cotto will be in Helena, Flores likely to Maryvale until we hear otherwise.

Jose Flores Player Page

Find 2015 Stats Here

Verified Member
Via Ryan Collingwood of the Helena Independent Record --

Preliminary roster

We know there's no way only 11 pitchers and two catchers will get the team through more than the first few days.

But if you've been following our Draft Forum, you know some picks that you'd think would have signed by now, have not.

[sarcasm]I'm looking forward to seeing what Maysonet can do this season![/sarcasm]

I just realized Denson isn't on Helena's preliminary roster, if he's not on that squad something else is going on because he wasn't bad enough to be demoted all the way back AZ because of game action.

It's a good sign that Diplan was assigned to Helena, I'm very intrigued by him.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

High draft picks dot Brewers' roster on Opening Day

Ryan Collingwood, Helena Independent Record

It's taken just two years for Helena Brewers manager Tony Diggs to experience both sides of the Pioneer League gamut.

As the club's first-year boss in 2013, the Brewers captured a North Division title and advanced to the Pioneer League championship series. In 2014, however, Helena finished in the league cellar, it's sixth sub-500 season in 10 years.

Player development is the foremost priority at this level. Wins are secondary. With two years of rookie grooming under his belt, though, Diggs is hoping for more of both this summer.

"Being able to identify what we see in players and being able to enhance that by trying to bring it out in them," said Diggs in reference to what he's learned since taking the reins. "Hopefully, those first two years have paid off for me."

On paper, the Brewers boast an inordinate amount of rookie-league talent and experience. An Opening Day roster dotted with high picks from the 2014 and 2015 MLB Drafts, Diggs is aware of their pedigree. The type of talent that capable of swiftly ascending in the organization.

From first-round pick and shortstop Jake Gatewood and second-round outfielder Monte Harrison from the 2014 class to second-rounder Cody Ponce (RHP, Cal Poly Pamona) and fifth-rounder Blake Allemand (2B, Texas A&M) from the 2015 draft, the Brewers boast some headliners.

"We do have some higher picks here, so is the expectation a little higher? Yes, and we have no problem with that. But we expect every guy out here to get better throughout the year," said Diggs, who has three of the Brewers' top five picks from the 2014 draft.

Gatewood, who agreed to a $1.83 million signing bonus out of Clovis High (Calif.) after being the 41st overall pick last June, will be looked at to pace the Brewers after batting just .214 for the Single A Wisconsin Timber Rattlers this spring.

The 19-year-old Gatewood, who committed to USC before signing his pro contract, is ready to embrace the leadership role.

"(Diggs) is going to expect a lot and probably expect me to be the leader on this team," Gatewood said. "He's going to expect me to come out and play as hard as I can every game, so that' s something I plan on doing."

Like Gatewood, Harrison was sent down from Wisconsin after batting .148 in 40 games for the Timber Rattlers. Right-handed pitcher Milton Gomez was also sent down from Wisconsin.

"It's a fresh start. We just want them in a position to be successful and understand that consistency starts with them working hard and going from there," Diggs said of the players demoted to Helena. "I think some of them have an outstanding chance of playing in the big leagues for a long time, it's just a matter of learning how to be consistent with that what they do."

The 2015 Brewers currently have 11 players from the 2014 draft, most of whom garnered experience in last summer's Arizona League, five from the 2015 draft and a handful of non-drafted free agents.

Outfielder Troy Stokes (Calvert Hall High School) was a fourth-round pick in 2014 who batted .262 with 19 stolen bases in the Arizona League last summer.

As far 2015 newcomers go, Ponce, who was drafted just a week ago, is tops. The 6-foot-6, 235-pound hurler was the Brewers' third pick and 55th overall after recording a senior season at Cal Poly Pomona that included a 1.44 ERA with 67 strikeouts and 14 walks in 13 starts.

Nate Griep, a 6-foot-2 right-handed pitcher out of Kansas State, is another notable arm who came from the eighth round of last week's draft. Of the Brewers' 12 pitchers, only two are southpaws.

"Just coming from Arizona where it was 106 to (Helena) where it's about 80 is a lot better," Griep said. "It's been a good two days (of practice) and I'm excited. I'm cited for the season to get started"

Several pitchers return from last year's Helena squad, including David Carver, Donnie Hissa, J.B. Kole and Junior Rincon.

Behind the plate the Brewers have just two catchers in Venezuelan Kevin Martinez from the Brewers' Dominican Summer League and Netherlands product Milan Post, who prepped in the Arizona League last summer.

Unless he's going to be joining the Timber Rattlers after the most recent round of outfield promotions fully trickle down, I also find it weird that Matt Martin isn't on the team. He hit really well last year in the Arizona League. Plus while the position he is apparently playing now (outfield) and the one that he played last year (catcher) are both kind of short-handed at Helena, they aren't in Arizona (where they have six 20-or-younger outfielders vying for time).

Denson, Martin and the fact that every college pitcher taken after Round 8 is starting in Arizona are probably my biggest surprises.

Archived