Brewer Fanatic

2015-06-13 Nationals (Ross) at Brewers (Nelson), 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-2]

1992casey

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/nationals.png[/logo][game-info][h1]June 13 | 3:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Nationals (31-30)

Brewers (24-38)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620, WRRD 1510[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]nationals-2015_ross-joe2.jpgbrewers-2015_nelson-jimmy3.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Joe Ross[/pitcher][h2]0-1, 5.40 ERA, 1.20 WHIP[/h2][h3]Game Log[/h3][h3]Ross made his Major League debut last week against the Cubs, taking the loss after a five inning start. The 22 year old right-hander is the youngest player on the Nationals’ roster and holds a 3.74 career ERA in the minors.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]3-6, 4.05 ERA, 1.21 WHIP[/h2][h3]Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson has been much better at home than on the road, posting a 3.38 ERA and better than five strikeouts for every walk at Miller Park. On the road, he has a 4.66 ERA and 1.46 strikeouts per walk.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Denard Span (L)
  2. 2B Anthony Rendon ®
  3. 3B Yunel Escobar ®
  4. RF Bryce Harper (L)
  5. C Wilson Ramos ®
  6. 1B Danny Espinosa (S)
  7. SS Ian Desmond ®
  8. LF Michael Taylor ®
  9. RHP Joe Ross ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez ®
  2. C Jonathan Lucroy ®
  3. RF Ryan Braun ®
  4. 1B Adam Lind (L)
  5. 3B Aramis Ramírez ®
  6. LF Gerardo Parra (L)
  7. SS Jean Segura ®
  8. 2B Scooter Gennett (L)
  9. RHP Jimmy Nelson ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Dumb not to send him with 2 outs and Nelson coming up, I don't care what Rock says about him being out by 20 feet.. All it takes is a bad throw off the line. There's a better chance of that happening than Nelson driving him in.

The odds of him being safe there are probably worse than Nelson finding a way to drive him in. A horrible throw and he would still have been out. It would have taken a throw to the screen to get him in. By letting Nelson bat you waste a couple pitches on the starter and clear the pitchers spot at the very least. Right decision every day of the week.

Thinking about it a bit more, I want to add to my above comment. Nelson probably had something like a 14 of 15 chance of making the final out in the inning? Based on stats/facts. I just don't think the odds were worse than 7% that Segura scores there. No way. From where I'm sitting, it looked like almost 50/50.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Thinking about it a bit more, I want to add to my above comment. Nelson probably had something like a 14 of 15 chance of making the final out in the inning? Based on stats/facts. I just don't think the odds were worse than 7% that Segura scores there. No way. From where I'm sitting, it looked like almost 50/50.

I agree. Rock was really over the top exaggerating. It wasn't a play that Segura was going to be only halfway to home when the throw got to home. He had a shot. A decent throw would have gotten him, but anything off the line and Segura likely makes it. It wouldn't have needed to make it to the backstop for him to score.

Archived