Brewer Fanatic

Trade with the Twins

After watching the Twins, they're missing another big bat and another pitcher to be contenders in that division. Maybe they'd like Gomez back and pair him with Lohse or Garza. We could as for something back like Hicks, Sano, Jose Berrios and maybe a mid level prospect of two.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

After watching the Twins, they're missing another big bat and another pitcher to be contenders in that division. Maybe they'd like Gomez back and pair him with Lohse or Garza. We could as for something back like Hicks, Sano, Jose Berrios and maybe a mid level prospect of two.

Um...do you even know the minors at all? There's some dude called Byron Buxton who plays CF and should be called up soon...perhaps you've heard of him. Unless you put Gomez at DH which is completely idiotic there's nowhere for Gomez in MN.

Um...do you even know the minors at all? There's some dude called Byron Buxton who plays CF and should be called up soon...perhaps you've heard of him. Unless you put Gomez at DH which is completely idiotic there's nowhere for Gomez in MN.

Haha there's no guarantee that Buxton is called up anytime soon nor is there a guarantee that he hits when he does arrive. Gomez trade gets them a stud this year and with Hunter being gone next season, Gomez or Buxton slides over and now you have studs all around. Very nice passive agressive post though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Hunter is playing well and very possibly may re-up w/ MIN to play next year, too.

There's little way the Twins are trading Sano anytime soon, let alone w/ Berrios. Sano & Buxton are two of the brightest-star prospects in all the minors.

I like the idea behind the post, and with the Twins playing well, they're quite possibly facing the possibility of having almost too many well-qualified guys to be able to fit them all on the 25-man roster when they should legitimately be there (there was a nice column in the Mpls paper on this situation a couple weeks ago). But knowing what I know about the Twins, if they keep up anything close to the winning pace they're on, I don't see how the Brewers make for a very good match with them at this point.

No need to be so condescending. Buxton is hitting .270 in AA and not really lighting the world on fire so there is no reason to call him up anytime soon. Also gomez's contract is up after next season, which is a much more realistic time for bux to be ready. That being said, I could see a want for go-go there but highly doubt he would be a target for them. I think the twins have been playing above their heads so far and think them being hard core buyers this year would be a mistake.

Agree with you Kellysdaddy. Twins have been playing well over their heads. I'm not overly impressed with their lineup or their pitching staff. Kudos to Molitor who's been doing it with mirrors, but this is not a contending team. Brewers squared up balls all day against Pelfry, unfortunately most were right at somebody.

As an aside, somebody needs to take Counsell aside and explain the advantages of playing some hit and run against a groundball pitcher.

Pelfey's bizarre performance to date is the biggest reason the Twins are even above .500. They're 8-3 in the 11games he's started. 13-21 record combined with his pitching the previous 2 seasons. He has a 2.6WAR currently. He'd been worth -1WAR for the Twins previously. And that's what should be expected out of him. The team isn't ready to make deals. Buxton and Sano haven't even been called up. Pelfrey hasn't pitched over 153innings since 2011 and that finished at 4.74ERA. There's going to be regression from him and the rest of that staff just isn't up to the task at this time to be anything more than maybe average. The Brewers staff is a full level better than the Twins. They don't have a 1 or a 2. filled with 3s and 4s which Pelfrey honestly is, who's on an 11games start of being a #1.

Twins will be lucky to finish at .500 and if they are smart they'll ride out the year w/o giving away any future talent in trades to give themselves a fake 1 year run. They've been bad long enough, they'd immediately turn themselves in to remaining bad.

The Brewers don't have a 1 or 2 either, we have a bunch of 3s, or as average as it gets. There's no huge fall-off from the top guy, but there's no big step up either.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Twins are in such an odd position right now. They are "rising" but other than Gibson, it isn't due to the next young wave of players. Guys that had some lucky hot streaks last year like Danny Santana and to an extend, Eduardo Escobar are being outed as frauds...Arcia was supposed to be a 25 HR, .800+ platoon bat and has provided nothing. Ervin Santana is out but Pelfrey has pitched with luck involved better than Santana might have.

Everyone in MN is attributing it to Molitor and Hunter's new leadership. That can add a few wins but it's asinine to assume it's that big of a deal. Things will level out soon but maybe they can make a trade to stay in contention if they so choose. It's been "pretty good pitching across the board" and somehow finding a way to crush lefties and mediocre pitching, which they've seen a lot of.

The Twins are in such an odd position right now. They are "rising" but other than Gibson, it isn't due to the next young wave of players. Guys that had some lucky hot streaks last year like Danny Santana and to an extend, Eduardo Escobar are being outed as frauds...Arcia was supposed to be a 25 HR, .800+ platoon bat and has provided nothing. Ervin Santana is out but Pelfrey has pitched with luck involved better than Santana might have.

Everyone in MN is attributing it to Molitor and Hunter's new leadership. That can add a few wins but it's asinine to assume it's that big of a deal. Things will level out soon but maybe they can make a trade to stay in contention if they so choose. It's been "pretty good pitching across the board" and somehow finding a way to crush lefties and mediocre pitching, which they've seen a lot of.

A reversion to the mean of some kind is surely in order at some point, but living here in Minnesota and watching them daily it is a completely different air. I would liken it to something we experienced with the Bucks this past season...a team that was in DIRE need of a new voice combined with a bunch of slightly overachieving players.

I think they'll be in the race until September, but eventually will fade out of a postseason spot. Definitely Molitor (subtracting Gardy) and Torii have impacted the squad.

It's the best of both worlds for the tightwad Pohlads...they can sell some hope right now while not starting the clocks on Buxton, Sano, Berrios, etc and having the fans get mad at them.

While it would be almost impossible for me to deal Sano, Buxton, or Arcia if I was the Twins I would definitely be in under no illusion that the team was this good. Fortune however has spotted them a bunch of games and I'd take a look at making a few mid range moves for lower valued prospects to make it a .500 team going forward and a good chance of getting to the playoffs as a result. No reason to waste all of that good luck on a boring second half.

A reversion to the mean of some kind is surely in order at some point, but living here in Minnesota and watching them daily it is a completely different air. I would liken it to something we experienced with the Bucks this past season...a team that was in DIRE need of a new voice combined with a bunch of slightly overachieving players.

I think they'll be in the race until September, but eventually will fade out of a postseason spot. Definitely Molitor (subtracting Gardy) and Torii have impacted the squad.

It's the best of both worlds for the tightwad Pohlads...they can sell some hope right now while not starting the clocks on Buxton, Sano, Berrios, etc and having the fans get mad at them.

Sure...those guys helped but I think a lot less than people are giving them credit for. There are things moving up and things moving down like most do for a team in a given season. Mauer has been even worse in his decline, Santana is not having the luckiest BABIP season anymore, etc. The team as a whole may be giving it a bit more of a college try, but I think they're a 77-78ish win team on paper that is probably going to win 82-83 after this little surge of luck and Moliter early in the year.

The difference is pitching - and I'm not sure how much new leadership really helps that on a yearly basis. I think they are going to hit a little rut here and fall to 3-4 games above .500 and slowly decline to .500 by year's end. Of course - trades/injuries can change that.

Anyways, I'd trade with them - but I'm not sure we can get any of their big name prospects.

The real question for their immediate future is - who will Buxton be? A lot of guys like Carlos Gomez and Cameron Maybin struggled early in their careers. The development may take awhile, which Twins fans don't really want to hear. He may just be a defensive stud that is a decent .270/.330/.410 guy at the plate until he starts hitting. Who knows, though.

They can have Lucroy for a treasure trove of prospects. "All Star" Kurt Suzuki has surprisingly dropped back to career norms after the one BABIP-infused season and could stand to be replaced, even though they did sign him for I believe 2015/2016.

CF Gomez and M Counsell for 3B Sano and M Molitor :)

Who is M Molitor? Now Paul Molitor, I'd take. :tongue

I think the M is manager. Hence, M Counsell and M Molitor.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

There's a part of me feeling like Torii Hunters' signing was for a sendoff, but also as a, "I'm going to look to be traded around the deadline to a contender bringing back a prospect pair that will help the organization". I think he had better offers or rumors of teams that would seem more competitive than the Twins leading up to his Twins signing. He probably figured, a great farewell season to have in front of the crowd he grew up in, and playing for a team that wouldn't be buying but selling at the deadline based on their makeup. Which he can then go to a contender.

There's a part of me feeling like Torii Hunters' signing was for a sendoff, but also as a, "I'm going to look to be traded around the deadline to a contender bringing back a prospect pair that will help the organization". I think he had better offers or rumors of teams that would seem more competitive than the Twins leading up to his Twins signing. He probably figured, a great farewell season to have in front of the crowd he grew up in, and playing for a team that wouldn't be buying but selling at the deadline based on their makeup. Which he can then go to a contender.

There's actually talk of him sticking around next year as well if his body doesn't break down. It's only June so alot can happen, but I wonder if he has organizational aspirations in mine (ala Garnett / Wolves).

It's been well documented in MN that 1) Hunter has no interest in playing elsewhere, 2) the Twins may look to extend him for next year, too, and 3) he eventually wants to work in the Twins' front office.

There was never a plan of signing him so they could deal him later. That notion is a matter of speculation or simply connecting the typical dots but not knowing the actual details of the situation.

I'm in MN, too, and hadn't heard that. I knew he wanted to come back a la Garnett but didn't know he was so set on staying.

Well, it's not like Hunter is a terrible player but looks like if they extend him they can light another $10-15 million on fire unless Buxton/Sano really hit the ground running next year.

Jon Heyman is reporting the Twins are interested in a bat - probably an OF. Gomez and maybe even Parra might interest them. The latter might be more inline with what Minnesota is willing to give up.

Oh really? You mean it wasn't such a crazy idea to think we'd be a fit with the Twins? Lol

Archived