Brewer Fanatic

Jungmann to start Tuesday against the Pirates [Latest: Will start again on Sunday vs Nationals]

BrewersAA
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I agree with scooter. I think he's got the rest of this season to prove himself--- because otherwise, I could see the brewers moving Segura going to second and Arcia at SS as soon as opening day next year(or whenever the kris Bryant date was this year).

Agree that it's silly to give up on Scooter - but there are some red flags. It wasn't just one month of poor play. He struggled the 2nd half of last year (although nagging injuries bothered him). 2015 is a lost year, so let the guy show he belongs. If he fails, like you noted above, Segura could be moved to 2B in the future when Arcia is ready.

To me, Scooter needs to show he can adjust to major league pitching. I think he came up and surprised people. He doesn't look dangerous, but he makes good contact and can really drive a ball left in the zone. But as time passed, Scooter's numbers have dropped. It might be a sign that pitchers are adapting - exploiting his aggressiveness. Why throw him strikes when he swings at so much junk? None of this is anything shocking. This happens to lots of players. It's Scooter's job to make himself a better player.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of a mix between Jared Weaver and Jamey Wright

Tall, gangly kid, throws across his body, real deceptive.

Throws harder than Weaver has in a long time, but also has nowhere near the control of weaver.

Scap loads like Jamey Wright used to do. Thats where the 94 mph comes from.

Will be interesting to see if he avoids injuries and decreasing velocity as his career progresses.

I agree with scooter. I think he's got the rest of this season to prove himself--- because otherwise, I could see the brewers moving Segura going to second and Arcia at SS as soon as opening day next year(or whenever the kris Bryant date was this year).

Yea, jury is still out on a lot of guys. Evan Arcia has cooled down the last couple weeks. And Segura looks encouraging, but we're not even to the mid-point of the season yet. Davis, Rogers, Sardina still need more of a look.

I like what they're doing, giving lots of position players and pitchers a chance to show what they can do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewer fans know the feeling. ..

That was kind of my point. Brewer fans think it only happens to us. It happens to everyone.

No, Brewer fans think that it happens TO us far more than it happens FOR us. ;) Seems like our all-or-nothing hitting style needs an excellent scouting report to help drive the offense. So much so, that it seems like we are better off facing Kershaw than a rookie.

Great to hear that Jungmann will get another start! Too bad that I'll be sitting in JFK at that time...

Agree that it's silly to give up on Scooter - but there are some red flags. It wasn't just one month of poor play. He struggled the 2nd half of last year (although nagging injuries bothered him). 2015 is a lost year, so let the guy show he belongs. If he fails, like you noted above, Segura could be moved to 2B in the future when Arcia is ready.

To me, Scooter needs to show he can adjust to major league pitching. I think he came up and surprised people. He doesn't look dangerous, but he makes good contact and can really drive a ball left in the zone. But as time passed, Scooter's numbers have dropped. It might be a sign that pitchers are adapting - exploiting his aggressiveness. Why throw him strikes when he swings at so much junk? None of this is anything shocking. This happens to lots of players. It's Scooter's job to make himself a better player.

Virtually the entire lineup struggled down the stretch last year. Some had excuses of course, Braun and his thumb, Scooter battling a hamstring, Ramirez getting old, Lucroy worn out. That's in part why all of those guys started out this year pressing from the get go. Scooter just happened to be the one with the least major league track record and there was some concern that what we saw his first 500 or so AB's was some kind of a mirage. I don't think that's the case and the Brewers are far from the point of believing that either. He was able to benefit from getting out of the major league glare and just concentrate on his stroke. It will take a while for his numbers to start looking respectable but he's going to revert closer to the mean.

Archived