Brewer Fanatic

How Would You Feel About Protective Netting to the Foul Lines?

The kid with a smartphone is the epitome of today's society. Pay that money to sit there and look at the screen on your phone rather than actually learn the game of baseball. A negative about the man saving his is that the kid won't learn his lesson because the bat didn't hit him. He probably thinks it's "cool."

So a still photo allowed you to draw the conclusion that this kid stares at his phone for 3hrs straight and also has zero knowledge of the game? If today's technology was available in 1980 people would be doing the exact same thing. I'm sure this kid wouldn't have exponentially increased his knowledge of the game if he was watching this pitch then bat flying at his face. He probably would have sat there like a deer in headlights - and if that happened what would your response be then? Fans who pay attention get drilled all the time by balls and bats. HE'S A KID. They don't have the attention span adults do. He just as easily could have been watching his favorite player in the field to see how he's moving defensively and setting up in position, which means he's not watching the pitch nor the bat flying at his face. But because he happened to be looking at his phone instead EVERYTHING changes even though the outcome wouldn't have.

And I have no problem sitting directly behind a net because it's never an issue unless you actively focus on the net, which some people can't help but do.

Lol, touched a nerve did I? It's today's society but my point was if the kid got whacked with the bat, he'd pay more attention at the ball game. I remember being the catcher for my dad while he was hitting infield practice to my older brothers team. I stepped behind him once and he warned me to watch what I was doing so I wouldn't get hit. Two practices later, I wasn't so luck and took a good smack on the back of the head. Never again did I make that mistake. But to the original point, technology sucks in this instance. It's going to movies and having a trillion ads tell you to turn your phone off but someone still sitting on their phones. Or going out to dinner and seeing everyone at the table face deep in their phones instead of interacting with one another. OR at a stinking baseball game, where I see kids just like that watch about 25% of the actual game because they are playing computer games on their phones. You make a claim based on a photo, but then scold me for making one? Get a clue buddy. Or better yet, get lost. I'm sorry about this last statement. It was unneeded and not appropriate.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Get a clue buddy. Or better yet, get lost.

Really uncalled for.

[sarcasm]Its obvious that the kid was posting on BF.net about how the batter's elbow wasn't high enough during the swing.[/sarcasm]

I have taken my kids to a game and realized that they don't have the reaction/coordination/strength to protect them from foul balls and flying bats. And sometimes I'm reaching for a hot dog or peanuts and not watching every pitch either. Even when I'm not on BF.net posting...

So, yes protective nets would be nice.

Lol, touched a nerve did I? It's today's society but my point was if the kid got whacked with the bat, he'd pay more attention at the ball game. I remember being the catcher for my dad while he was hitting infield practice to my older brothers team. I stepped behind him once and he warned me to watch what I was doing so I wouldn't get hit. Two practices later, I wasn't so luck and took a good smack on the back of the head. Never again did I make that mistake. But to the original point, technology sucks in this instance. It's going to movies and having a trillion ads tell you to turn your phone off but someone still sitting on their phones. Or going out to dinner and seeing everyone at the table face deep in their phones instead of interacting with one another. OR at a stinking baseball game, where I see kids just like that watch about 25% of the actual game because they are playing computer games on their phones. You make a claim based on a photo, but then scold me for making one? Get a clue buddy. Or better yet, get lost.

Stop it. Now.

Fan Etiquette

viewtopic.php?&t=4208

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm 41, so I grew up without a smart phone. We played baseball at the park all day, and went home at sundown. We didn't have computers or tablets, we had an Atari 5200, and spent most of our time outside in the summer.

But I have to ask......... why does everyone care what other people do with their time so much?

"BACK IN MY DAY........."

Why is everyone so preoccupied with judging the quality of everyone else's personal time, space, family time, and lives? Enjoy your leisure time the way you like, and let someone else enjoy theirs the way they see fit.

This is the world we live in now, whether people like it or not. (and judging by the bulk of the comments it's "not") We are connected to devices now, and that's the way it is. Even without phones and tablets, it's 100% impossible to pay attention at a game 100% of the time. It's absolutely impossible.

I go to concerts and record 3 or 4 songs, and take 30-40 pictures. I go to ballgames and take a bunch of pictures. In 2012 I went to my (first ever!) Packers game and about filled an SD card with pictures and video.

As others have said, it's just as easy to be distracted with your face buried in a game program, talking to a friend, getting a hotdog..... etc, etc, etc, etc. People just want to hate on technology..... well, just because. Give the kid a break.

It would be slightly annoying but worth it if it is really saving a significant number of injuries.

I'm generally more worried about a kid getting hurt at my 15 year old's games than I am at the major league ballpark though. Foul balls flying all over the place at those games.

Can we be both FOR netting and AGAINST sitting front row with your nose in a smartphone? Come on kids....

So I'm not the only one wondering how a kid that age has a phone that size?

I'll just go order my GET OFF MY LAWN t-shirt now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

So I'm not the only one wondering how a kid that age has a phone that size?

It's possible that the kid was using his dad's phone, but it's just as possible that it was the kid's phone.

Phones definitely add to the distractions that were already present. It seems to me that people have phones in hand way too much, although it's usually none of my business. Within reason, looking up stats, taking pictures and sending them to mom, and ordering concessions would seem to be legit uses.

I'm mostly in agreement with Plush's assessment of the effect of netting on watching the games. I see it as a non-factor when your far enough away from it. When you're close, it takes some getting used to: some people might be able to do that while others won't. It's definitely subjective. My personal feeling is that when sitting up close, the net is a distraction at first, but it's something I can get used to and start to ignore.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived