Brewer Fanatic

Braun is having his thumb worked on again

ewitkows
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny, I always thought that 31 was a player's prime years.

10058_01.JPG

Here's a chart from BP. 31 is right at the end of the prime years, and as the text says "drops for a few years and then spikes at 31... interesting."

The big dropoff after age 31 shows why I dislike the contracts that take players into their 30's and especially their late 30's, and why I am not at all surprised when players like Ramirez, Lohse, Wolf, Suppan, etc hit a cliff before the contract is over. This is also why I would rather trade Lucroy this year or next year rather than extending him (he will be in his early 30's when his current contract expires).

Back to Braun, this is why I think he will still be productive for a few seasons (he's diminishing from a high peak), but if we get a chance to trade him, we should jump at it. The years he will be productive will be our down years, and when we should start our upward swing, Braun will be taking up a large chunk of our payroll and will likely not be performing very well.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Based on that chart hopefully he is able to maintain the remainder of this year and they are able to trade him in the off season, the next trading deadline or the deadline after at the latest.

The big dropoff after age 31 shows why I dislike the contracts that take players into their 30's and especially their late 30's, and why I am not at all surprised when players like Ramirez, Lohse, Wolf, Suppan, etc hit a cliff before the contract is over. This is also why I would rather trade Lucroy this year or next year rather than extending him (he will be in his early 30's when his current contract expires).

Gomez too. A large amount of his value is in his defense and speed, which I believe doesn't age as well as other skills. His bat looks like it is dropping off again. I was kind of afraid it would. My guess for him would be a younger peak.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Braun's prime will extend for another two years after this one. His stolen bases might diminish, but his power output, and run production, should stick pretty close to his career norms, assuming no serious injuries. The guy's quite capable of .290/30/100 even if he misses 15 games a year because of his thumb treatments. The key to the run production is guys getting on consistently in front of him. That worries me more than Braun's ability to remain a near-elite hitter.

I would really like to see Brauny hit career home run #300 in a Milwaukee uni. All these tremendous power hitters the Brewers have had, and yet nobody in franchise history has crossed what isn't really a big plateau.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Gomez too. A large amount of his value is in his defense and speed, which I believe doesn't age as well as other skills. His bat looks like it is dropping off again. I was kind of afraid it would. My guess for him would be a younger peak.

I think Gomez will rebound, too. He's been plagued all year by some nagging injuries. He just needs to get healthy. I think frustration with those injuries probably has caused him to be less disciplined at the plate (and I mean less disciplined in terms of Carlos Gomez discipline, which has never been high to begin with).

The lack of stolen bases is what alarms me the most. Only 6 for 10.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Braun is not the reason the team is losing. But to call him back to being an offensive force is a reach. He had a heck of a May for sure.

For the season he is a 832 OPS guy, last 10 games 767. Just OK, but certainly he has been our best player, such as that is. He is 1.5 WAR guy so far. Pretty decent but hardly the Braun we thought we were extending.

Given that only the hardest of hard core fans will ever find the guy marketable, at 31 is at the end of his prime, and he is still injury prone; the reality is he will never justify his contract and should be traded for assets ASAP.

Based on that chart hopefully he is able to maintain the remainder of this year and they are able to trade him in the off season, the next trading deadline or the deadline after at the latest.

That is a pipe dream. He has his full no trade clause kick in after this year and I have a feeling Braun would be reluctant to waive it. Even if he would it would probably take a number of demands that would make any trade fall apart(like wanting 2021 picked up).

If they don't trade him in July we are stuck with him for the long haul...which is quite likely.

That is a pipe dream. He has his full no trade clause kick in after this year and I have a feeling Braun would be reluctant to waive it. Even if he would it would probably take a number of demands that would make any trade fall apart(like wanting 2021 picked up).

If they don't trade him in July we are stuck with him for the long haul...which is quite likely.

That's why it's fortunate he has been decent (832) this year. Unload him for a few assets and call it a day.

Archived