Brewer Fanatic

Brewers claim Hernán Pérez off Waivers from Tigers. DFA Elián Herrera

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what all the hate is all about, the guy has been raking for about a week now. Granted it won't last at this rate most likely but it's nice to see some semblance of competent play offensively and defensively at the plate for 3B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Perez is not a bad guy to take a look at, but I think he really profiles at 2B or as a utility guy.

Looking at his numbers in the minors and big leagues, he doesn't have much power and he doesn't take many walks. The latter is not something a player usually develops. But he's not some small guy (6'1" and 185lb) - it looks like he could add some strength - so he could develop a little more pop - but that's just speculating.

On the positive side, he hasn't shown platoon splits, which is nice. He looks good defensively, but that's just been a few weeks, so we need to see more of him. And if he can handle SS, he adds some really nice versatility to his resume. He's been pretty consistent - hitting from .260-.300.

Upside, he could be a regular 2B - .260-.280 BA with 5-10 HR and solid defense. He likely won't walk much, so he's going to have to produce a decent batting average. Again, I would see this as the high side of things. If he could do that, he'd be an adequate big league 2B. Nothing great, but okay. He probably is a better all around player than Scooter - but Scooter really can pound righties, making him potentially a much more potent offensive player.

The likelihood is that Perez provides a .250-.260 BA, minimal power, but nice glove around the infield. Nothing wrong with that. You need those kinds of guys.

The best part is that Milwaukee can afford to let Perez play right now and see how he responds. We have some nice infield guys coming up (Arcia, Rivera, Sardinas) to go with Scooter and Segura, so it's not a problem to just see how things play out.

"Perez is not a bad guy to look at, but I think he really profiles at 2B or as a utility guy"

Completely disagree. He profiles at 3B and should be getting bulk of time there in the 2nd half and he's not a utility guy either. The more he plays, the more he hits. This is a guy with an upside or he wouldn't have been in the majors at 21. He's bigger and stronger than his listed 185 pounds. He looks more like 195.

He won't be a big HR guy but he'll hit 12-15 per year, with a ton of doubles and triples to go with good defense at 3B. Keep in mind he had 45 extra base hits in AAA last year. I really like what I've seen so far from him. He had a ringing double off deGrom the other day, the best pitcher in the NL right now not named Scherzer, who was mowing down the rest of the Brewer lineup.

Nice hot streak. Not a long term solution.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The thing about that statement is we just do not know until he's allowed to play consistently for a long period of time. Ship Aram and lets do it.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The thing about that statement is we just do not know until he's allowed to play consistently for a long period of time. Ship Aram and lets do it.

Fine let him play the rest of the year. I'm not opposed to that. But I wouldn't pencil him into the lineup next year just yet.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Fine let him play the rest of the year. I'm not opposed to that. But I wouldn't pencil him into the lineup next year just yet.

I would. Next year is likely to be a tough season no matter who plays there. If he sucks it just means we know for sure and he'll help us lose more games to get a higher draft pick. If he doesn't suck we just found a cheap guy to cover third throughout the rebuild. Maybe even beyond.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

He won't be a big HR guy but he'll hit 12-15 per year, with a ton of doubles and triples to go with good defense at 3B. Keep in mind he had 45 extra base hits in AAA last year. I really like what I've seen so far from him. He had a ringing double off deGrom the other day, the best pitcher in the NL right now not named Scherzer, who was mowing down the rest of the Brewer lineup.

Interesting that you peg him as a 12-15 HR a year guy, but his career high in the minors is 8. Last year, in a full season of AAA ball at age 23 (when we could expect him to start showing some power) he hit 6.

The guy had a decent week long stretch. Even terrible hitters (yuni B) have good stretches.

He has shown the ability to hit for a decent average, but he doesn't hit for power, and doesn't take walks. His career ISO in the minors is .095. That's pretty terrible for a corner infielder, no matter how you slice it. He has to hit at least .300 to carry a respectable OBP with his walk rate.

I just don't see anything more here than a utility guy.

There is surely regression to the mean coming, but what little i've seen of him he seems fairly disciplined at the plate, not to mention successful. I hope he becomes a solid player just so the jokers around here can eat their words...don't understand the hate for the guy.

so far the kid has impressed both at the plate and in the field

In which small sample? The stats just with the Brewers? Or the .213 BA/.244 OBP and 44 OPS+ he's put up vs MLB pitching in 2015?

I think he has an MLB caliber glove & arm. Jury is still out on his bat.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

In which small sample? The stats just with the Brewers? Or the .213 BA/.244 OBP and 44 OPS+ he's put up vs MLB pitching in 2015?

Again, I posted even before he started getting hits, that he passed the eyeball test as a hitter with flying colors. He never looks overmatched, and the ball jumps off his bat. I was at the game Thursday and deGrom was blowing it by Brewer hitters. The one exception was Perez. His swing is balanced and he generates more bat speed than his power totals might indicate and he uses the entire field. Of course as with all young hitters, time will tell but early indications are positive.

The fact is the Brewers had the first shot to claim him and they did, even with his being 2 for 33 with the Tigers knowing that if they didn't the next team in line would. That tells me that within scouting circles there were still a lot of people very high on him and I can see why based on his first month. He's not some dime a dozen utility guy with a good glove. He's a guy that still could be a regular in the big leagues. He just turned 24. Time will tell but Brewers certainly should be in position to give him the time once Ramirez is dealt, relegated to full time PH duties, or waived. Of course it's way too early to project him as the answer at 3B for the next 5 seasons, but he's earning the extended look. While this season has been very painful, sometimes having the first shot on waiver claims turns out gems.

Yeah I can understand being skepticable but sometimes just the change of scenery does wonders. Maybe it's because we have so many undisciplined batters that it's just been a nice change of pace to see a guy work counts, no be afraid of using the opposite field, and have some success.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I was one that wanted him DFA so that he could play everyday. But now that he is getting more playing time he really looks the part. I understand his minor league numbers are not that promising but when I see him play he impresses me and I can see a big league 3B. It is old school and it may be me trying to find hope in this team but I think the Brewers might have found something here.

Granted the jury is still out on his bat but to compare his time in Detroit to here is not apples to apples. He was getting very inconsistent ab's in Detroit. During his time here his production has gone up as his playing time has gone up. While I understand both are small samples the samples themselves are not equal in value. If the trend was reversed and his numbers went down as he played more I would be more inclined to think the small sample was why he had good numbers in Detroit and we are seeing him regress to his actual level of play. As it is there is some amount of hope his issues were playing time related as opposed to just not being very good.

Given Hernán's sporadic major league history, you really have to go back to his minor league stats to get your sample.

I don't see enough offense to consider him a full time third baseman, although, like Craig Counsell, I'd be fine with him filling in for an extended period at third if it were to become necessary. His offense would seem to be a fit for second base or as a very good utility player who sees a lot of playing time.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There is surely regression to the mean coming, but what little i've seen of him he seems fairly disciplined at the plate, not to mention successful. I hope he becomes a solid player just so the jokers around here can eat their words...don't understand the hate for the guy.

Why is it when someone comes up (Gennett is a great example) and people say "I don't see this guy as being a starting caliber player", everyone is a 'hater'?

We're all Brewer fans. I'm sure EVERYONE here would love to see all these guys sport .900+ OPS and play gold glove caliber defense.

Is it not objective to loo at his career .660 minor league OPS and say "He probably projects as a utility guy"?

If the guy breaks out and puts up a .300/.350/.450 do you not think EVERYONE here would not be ecstatic? I (and most) are just saying that the numbers most likely do not support that kind of a breakout for this player.

Probably the best we could hope for is a Casey McGehee scenario where he puts up better major league numbers than minor league numbers for a few years. Those type of players do exist but I don't think you can find them if you only look at numbers. Sometimes there are situations where you see a player who should be doing better than their numbers indicate. If you think they have the ability you kind of have to ignore their results and go with what you think they can do based on skill set. But to find out you have to give them a shot. A team in our position has the luxury of taking a flier on that type of player.

McGehee was never as projectable as Perez. Detroit started burning Perez' options at 21 so they were high on him for a long time until the numbers game finally caught up to him. Cubs didn't see enough in McGehee to protect him.

In both cases though you have to look at their numbers in the context that they were very young for the leagues they were in and that even though their numbers weren't great, they improved as they went up the ladder. That's almost always a pattern you like to see.

For what it's worth, Hernán has an OPS of approximately .705 in the minors from 2012-2014 (1533 plate appearances). This includes a season at high A and all of his AA and AAA numbers. Winter ball stats are omitted; I would think that those should be considered more like spring training stats.

His AA and AAA numbers are a little better: a .747 OPS over 384 PA in AA (2013) and a .731 OPS over 670 PA in AAA (2013–14). I'd like to lean toward those numbers, but the sample size is probably a little small at this point.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Why is it when someone comes up (Gennett is a great example) and people say "I don't see this guy as being a starting caliber player", everyone is a 'hater'?

We're all Brewer fans. I'm sure EVERYONE here would love to see all these guys sport .900+ OPS and play gold glove caliber defense.

Is it not objective to loo at his career .660 minor league OPS and say "He probably projects as a utility guy"?

If the guy breaks out and puts up a .300/.350/.450 do you not think EVERYONE here would not be ecstatic? I (and most) are just saying that the numbers most likely do not support that kind of a breakout for this player.

Some of these are in jest, but I went back through the thread for you and here are some of the things that have been said. I'm sorry, but all of them with the exception of #1 can be described as "being haters."

guys, were talking Craig Counsell numbers here! Little do we know, but we may have a future MLB Manager on our hands!!!!

Can we dump this Perez clown already? He's useless and makes Herrera look like Jeff Cirillo at the plate (relatively speaking, of course).

Every AB he takes away from Rogers, Hector Gomez, or potentially Sardinas or Herrera makes me cry.

yeah put a fork in this experiment. I'd rather see if Scooter get it together than see Perez continue to do nothing.

+1. I'd even like to see what Yadiel Rivera has before this smuck.

Brian Dozier's minor league numbers weren't that great - one good year which was primarily driven by a lot of triples - and at a much older age than Perez at the same levels. But the hitting coach of the Twins noticed something, got him to change his approach, and now not only is he an All-Star but he also has as many HRs this season as he had in his entire minor league career.

Some guys can develop later on with the right coaching.

He hit a lot of doubles in the middle minors and has good speed. His numbers are better than Sardinas and he's certainly not too old to suddenly find 10-15 hrs a year. He looks pretty good as a utility guy, but he might be a decent starter at 2b. Maybe at 3b.

Archived