Brewer Fanatic

Trading Partner: Boston

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I know there's been some speculation about specific trades with Boston, but reports are coming out about how it's time for the Red Sox to make a move to improve their struggling club this year. People are getting antsy to see a winner - which is what they expected. Another poor season would be effectively three losng seasons surrounded by one championship season.

Thus, the time to make a deal with Boston might be now. Lucroy would perfect for them - a consistent bat and solid defensive presence in a streaky lineup. Swihart hasn't set the world on fire.

Gomez would work if Boston unloaded someone like Betts or Castillo - but I doubt that's happening.

Garza or Lohse might be of interest, but both would need to show improvement to be attractive.

Maybe there's nothing really going. Perhaps the Sox will just ride out the struggles. But now might be the time to extract a good return on one of our better players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Side note. I would take 3 losing seasons for a championship

I thought the same thing as I was writing the post. But losing three of four years isn't going to cut it in the Boston market - even with the championship, which is looking more and more fluky. Ownership doesn't want the Sox relegated to the second page of the sports section with their games drawing less attention than stories about who's backing up inside linebacker for the Patriots. Patience only goes so far in that market.

I know they won one without him, but I think Boston is missing Theo a bit. They've had some bad luck with injuries the past year or two and Ortiz is just getting old, but I have no idea what they were doing with pitching this year. It seems like they actively targeted 3 or 4 #3/#4 type 6-7 K/9 starting pitchers that are in their mid-20s (30 for Masterson) and wanted to mold them into #2-types.

So far, the returns are pretty sad. Kelly, Miley, Masterson, and Porcello are all getting hammered.

Read a recent traderumor article. Oh Hanley Ramirez is the worst OF in Baseball and it's apparently not even close. Everygame started in the OF he's apparently costing the Red Sox .25runs defensively. Wow. But is that really surprising? Wasn't he benched a few time in his final Marlins season for dogging plays defensively? Somehow the Red Sox thought hey, lets take a SS/3b and put him in the OF and at the same time sign the Panda to play 3b while trying to groom an overmatched Xander Bogaerts at SS?

With the Porcello contract, it's no wonder the team is losing. Serious lack of scouting ability going on and decision making.

Archived