Brewer Fanatic

2015-05-31 Diamondbacks (Anderson) at Brewers (Wagner), 1:10 PM CDT -- RHP Tyler Wagner makes MLB debut [Brewers win, 7-6, 17 innings; Garza pitches 5 scoreless innings to earn win]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/diamondbacks.png[/logo][game-info][h1]May 31 | 1:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]DBacks (23-25) | Crew (16-34)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620, WRRD 1510[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/XwGpfpn.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/mdrcjgp.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Chase Anderson[/pitcher][h2]1-1, 2.59 ERA, 1.11 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Anderson has been the D-backs' most consistent starter this year, but he has received the lowest run support. Over his past five starts, he has a 1.39 ERA but only one win to show for it.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Tyler Wagner[/pitcher][h2]0-0, 0.00 ERA, 0.00 WHIP[/h2][h3]Game Log (MiLB)[/h3][h3]The 24-year-old sinkerballer will come up from Double-A Biloxi to replace an injured Wily Peralta. Wagner has only nine career starts above Class A, but has been outstanding for the last year-and-a-half in the Minors.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF A.J. Pollock ®
  2. SS Cliff Pennington (S)
  3. 1B Paul Goldschmidt ®
  4. LF David Peralta (L)
  5. RF Mark Trumbo ®
  6. 3B Yasmany Tomás ®
  7. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia (S)
  8. 2B Chris Owings ®
  9. RHP Chase Anderson ®

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. SS Jean Segura ®
  2. LF Gerardo Parra (L)
  3. RF Ryan Braun ®
  4. CF Carlos Gómez ®
  5. 1B Jason Rogers ®
  6. 3B Elián Herrera (S)
  7. 2B Luis Sardiñas (S)
  8. C Martín Maldonado ®
  9. RHP Tyler Wagner ®

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wagner set for MLB debut vs. Anderson, D-backs

By Brandon Curry / MLB.com | 5/30/2015 9:48 PM ET

Brewers rookie starter Tyler Wagner's strategy for his Major League debut on Sunday afternoon against Chase Anderson and the D-backs: Slow things down.

"Trying not to notice the 40,000 people here at Miller Park is going to be quite the task, but I think I'm up for it," Wagner said before Saturday's game against Arizona.

Wagner's performance this season at Double-A Biloxi convinced the Brewers to bypass other young arms at Triple-A and choose the 24-year-old as the replacement for the injured Wily Peralta.

Wagner went 5-1 with a 2.01 ERA in nine starts with Biloxi, allowing just 12 earned runs over 53 2/3 innings. Opponents batted just .231 (45-for-195) against the No. 11 player on MLB.com's list of the top 30 Brewers prospects, and he surrendered only one home run.

Arizona's Anderson has been stellar over his last five starts, giving up just five earned runs in 32 1/3 innings.

Things to know about the game:

• Anderson lost his only start against the Brewers on June 19 of last year at Chase Field, allowing three runs (two earned) over six innings.

• Adam Lind's bat came to life in Friday's 7-5 loss to the D-backs, as he snapped a 2-for-24 slump by going 3-for-3 with a double, home run and 3 RBIs. "It's good to see, for sure," Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. "It's a bat in our lineup that we need to get going."

• D-backs first baseman Paul Goldschmidt entered Saturday's game hitting .476 (20-for-42) off Brewers pitching in 10 games at Miller Park. That includes nine doubles, four home runs and 12 RBIs.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That was a pathetic play by Braun...wow.

That throw was pathetic for a play that ended up being relatively close at 2nd base. Maybe if he could have, oh, I don't know, stepped into that throw he might have had a shot at the slow-running Trumbo.

That was a pathetic play by Braun...wow.

That throw was pathetic for a play that ended up being relatively close at 2nd base. Maybe if he could have, oh, I don't know, stepped into that throw he might have had a shot at the slow-running Trumbo.

Then another sub par blocking job by Maldonado. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

During the TV pregame show, they said to expect about 92 MPH. They said he threw up to 96 MPH as a reliever.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Tyler Wagner supposedly pitches 94mph sometimes 96mph according scouting reports and today he is consistently at 90mph. His whole arsenal is a good 4mph under what reports say.

Not trying to pile on to the kid as he's been thrown into an impossible situation, but over-promising and under-delivering has pretty much been the theme this year. Is there a farm system more bereft of MLB-ready talent than Milwaukee's?

During the TV pregame show, they said to expect about 92 MPH. They said he threw up to 96 MPH as a reliever.

Guy is going to get killed throwing 90mph with his change up at 86mph and a not so great ?slider?.

I was not impressed at all with his stuff from that showing.

Don't know what the fans thought they saw on the replay at the stadium but at best there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it and he looked out to me anyways. His fingers were hovering over the base but not on the base when Owings caught it. His hand hit the base a split second after the ball was caught.

Don't know what the fans thought they saw on the replay at the stadium but at best there wasn't enough evidence to overturn it and he looked out to me anyways. His fingers were hovering over the base but not on the base when Owings caught it. His hand hit the base a split second after the ball was caught.

Fans at the stadium are biased and they usually show crummy replays on the board which probably looked pretty decent. They didn't see the nice ones FS Wisconsin provided us with.

and look at that, the game is tied on a wild pitch #brewersmaybebadbutatleastwescoreonwildpitches

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Tyler Wagner supposedly pitches 94mph sometimes 96mph according scouting reports and today he is consistently at 90mph. His whole arsenal is a good 4mph under what reports say.

Not trying to pile on to the kid as he's been thrown into an impossible situation, but over-promising and under-delivering has pretty much been the theme this year. Is there a farm system more bereft of MLB-ready talent than Milwaukee's?

I questioned the call up for the simple fact that Wagner hasn't even faced that many quality hitters by pitching at AA. Most of the pitching staff at AA have good numbers. Pitching in the AFL was probably the closest thing to quality hitters that he has faced and his numbers weren't that good, but it was a small sample size. That being said, a couple misplays and leaving the ball up at any level isn't going to help. It has to be tough pitching for the first time at the MLB level in front of family too, so I'll wait for his next start before offering up any more opinions. After listening to several pitchers at AAA during pregame interviews its apparent that you need good off speed stuff in order get hitters out at AAA. Yadiel Rivera made reference to seeing more off speed stuff than at Double AA. I think that applies at the MLB level also. That being said I think most pitchers need to gain some extra experience by pitching at AAA.

Archived