Brewer Fanatic

More potential bad news regarding an injury (Khris Davis)

brewmann04

from mlbtraderumors latest post:

Brewers outfielder Khris Davis has torn the meniscus in his right-knee, tweets Adam McCalvy of MLB.com. He’ll undergo surgery on Tuesday. Davis is hitting .252/.339/.449 in 168 plate appearances. While no timetable has been announced, past meniscus surgeries have required six to eight weeks of recovery – sometimes more if there are other complicating factors. The Milwaukee lineup has been plagued by various injuries this season, only Adam Lind has been available every day.

I'd rather see Peterson and Long before Reed. He's a couple years younger than Wagner, so it's not really the same thing to jump Reed up to Milwaukee.

Reed is the same age as Bryce Harper. Not comparing him to Harper, but if he's the best OF in the system right now under 26, lets take a look. He's dominating AA.

Heck, can't Matt Clark play some outfield?

I'd just ask Braun if he wants to move back to left or stay where he is, with the understanding he'll be back in RF if the team needs him. See what he's comfortable with and go from there.

Given the way that Davis was playing, this might improve the team. Not that it matters.

The team is 16-34. No outfielder we bring up is going to matter as far as the arbitration clock and big dollars. If Reed is our best bet, bring him up and give the fans a little something.

I'd rather any of our better prospects skips Colorado anyhow. That atmosphere will just lead to bad habits.

I'm sorry but moving Braun back to LF would be incredibly stupid and would accomplish nothing. If this team was competing maybe it would make some sense, but it is a lost season. Just leave him in RF so he can keep getting experience there and hopefully improve some. Because in two months he will be right back RF.

Not sure why some think Khris Davis was having such a brutal season, he went down with a 113 OPS+...better than last year and quite a bit above average. The guy has gone through some rough patches, but he has been one of the better hitters on this team and one of the only guys taking walks.

Davis was basically ML-average OPS among LFs who were close to qualified (>125 PAs). Among those 25, he was 8th in OBP and 10th in SLG (an odd statistical anomaly had him 14th in OPS, but he was within .010 of 10th). Not a terrible season by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm sorry but moving Braun back to LF would be incredibly stupid and would accomplish nothing. If this team was competing maybe it would make some sense, but it is a lost season. Just leave him in RF so he can keep getting experience there and hopefully improve some. Because in two months he will be right back RF.

Not sure why some think Khris Davis was having such a brutal season, he went down with a 113 OPS+...better than last year and quite a bit above average. The guy has gone through some rough patches, but he has been one of the better hitters on this team and one of the only guys taking walks.

Braun is going to be 32, at this point I think it's safe to say "he is what he is" in RF; thus switching between LF or RF depending on the needs of the club - or at least the idea of it - is not 'incredibly stupid'. This season is lost at this point, so if Braun sliding over to LF better accommodates another player so be it.

Seems as good a place as any to post that I am very happy to see both Davis' walk rate increase and his production vs RHP increase so far this year. Granted it is just 1/4 of a season thus "small samples" but it is a good sign for an age 27 year old player.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong about Davis, as I've posted many times that I see him mostly as a free swinger who can really only hit LHP.

(edited for typos)

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Braun is going to be 32, at this point I think it's safe to say "he is what he is" in RF; thus switching between LF or RF depending on the needs of the club - or at least the idea of it - is not 'incredibly stupid'. This season is lost at this point, so if Braun sliding over to LF better accommodates another player so be it.

I disagree. His age means little except for maybe his speed. He is still struggling mightily with reaction time and routes out there in RF. Noticeably worse than when he was out in LF. He slowly got better in LF and I would expect the same in RF.

I disagree. His age means little except for maybe his speed. He is still struggling mightily with reaction time and routes out there in RF. Noticeably worse than when he was out in LF. He slowly got better in LF and I would expect the same in RF.

Agreed 100%.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Seems as good a place as any to post that I am very happy to see both Davis' walk rate increase and his production vs RHP increase so far this year. Granted it is just 1/4 of a season thus "small samples" but it is a good sign for an age 27 year old player.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong about Davis, as I've posted many times that I see him mostly as a free swinger who can really only hit LHP.

(edited for typos)

Davis is not an elite talent but he's a very solid major league hitter. In 785 major league AB's he's got 99 extra base hits and is slugging .479. That's nothing to sneeze at in this era. He's prone to slumps but also can get white hot seemingly out of nowhere and can carry a team.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I had to say that I was disappointed by Khrush's season so far (one of the underdogs I've rooted for since A-ball). But then I noticed that his OPS is 788 right now. Not all-star, but average as others said. Parra is currently at 768 (with admittedly better D).

So, not the 850 OPS we were hoping for, but far from a disaster.

Archived