Brewer Fanatic

The Selig Experience

rickh150

Just curious if any brewerfan.netters saw this... How was it?

I read that there are two shows on game days...strange that each starts during the game. Wouldn't it make sense to start both before the game ... one at 6:00 and the other at 6:40 or so?

I did it at the game this afternoon and thought it was pretty cool. The technology behind it is pretty amazing, a bit on par with the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library in Springfield, IL for those of you who've been there. I learned a few new things, though it wasn't quite as comprehensive as I had perhaps expected. They are also surprisingly scant on Selig's tenure as commissioner, though I guess that the emphasis on a Selig display at Miller Park will definitely be more focused on his direct links to the franchise.

Overall it was good. I can definitely envision (and hope that someone from the organization is listening) a Brewers Hall of Fame being built in this space in the future with the Selig Experience being a major theme instead of just a stand-alone thing. It is however definitely worth the time to go and check it out, especially considering the product on the field this season.

And oh yeah, they had groups of 20-25 or so continuously being rotated into the exhibit throughout the game. Not sure when the cut-off is, but I went at the end of the 4th inning and was out midway through the 5th.

I can't believe people would actually go to this during the game. Even if the game is terrible I wouldn't want to do it during the game. Granted I wouldn't want to do it at all but if I was going to do it it certainly wouldn't be during a game.

I can't believe people would actually go to this during the game. Even if the game is terrible I wouldn't want to do it during the game. Granted I wouldn't want to do it at all but if I was going to do it it certainly wouldn't be during a game.

Believe it.

You are assuming people are going to Miller Park to watch a baseball game instead of because it's sort of a hip thing to do. Although that is certainly changing fast.

Uh.... Sounds like a great thing for this year.

Yet, I get the impression that this is going to be a permanent fixture in the ballpark, a Way to honor the commish and man who brought baseball back to Milwaukee. The question... is will people go thru it next year and the next if they already saw it this year? When people inevitably stop seeing it (besides opponent fans) will they change it up still focusing on Selig???? Change it up using a tribute to Uecker???? 82 team ???? Aaron??? Perhaps all above capped by a Brewers Hall of Fame??? Or would this be a diss to Selig? How do you maneuver diplomatically and smartly with this exhibit into the next 5, 10 years?

Great concept.... Interesting situation...

It was 7-2 in the 6th inning today (Friday 5/30), if I could've gotten in to witness the Hologram Bud Experience today, I absolutely would've.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ooooh, the amazing experience of a baseball owner. What's next, the Brewer accountant experience? Maybe we could have an interactive experience of a parking lot attendent.

I don't mind something honoring Selig, but it's like he's some frigging folk hero.

Hmmm well I can't think of a lot of reasons:

1. You need to get up and stretch for whatever reason.

2. Takes HALF an inning.

3. Your kids are being little brats and need to walk around.

4. Brewers are playing like garbage and want to get something for your money.

5. You really were excited for it.

6. The people next to you are driving you nuts.

I'll go see it also. We here on brewerfan are baseball nuts. The Brewers don't sell the product on the field (well, they do if they are winning). The Brewers sell the Miller Park experience. My wife likes walking around, and the kids love playing. They sit for a couple of innings and come back a couple innings later. Rinse, and repeat. My kids love going to Miller park, but they don't like sitting through 9 innings.

Hmmm well I can't think of a lot of reasons:

1. You need to get up and stretch for whatever reason.

2. Takes HALF an inning.

3. Your kids are being little brats and need to walk around.

4. Brewers are playing like garbage and want to get something for your money.

5. You really were excited for it.

6. The people next to you are driving you nuts.

Yep, this. I am as die-hard as you can get, but I happened to go to the game yesterday with my dad who has had major back surgery. He literally cannot sit for more than a couple of innings before his back starts to really act up and he needs to walk around. Generally if we go (he usually goes about twice a year because of the sitting issue) we will walk around where we can still see the game and just sort of stand in different spots. Yesterday however, since the game was bad and the walkways were full of people wearing Princess Leia and storm trooper outfits, we thought that perhaps it would have been a good time to check it out. He had been at the first game ever at County Stadium as a high school kid and the exhibit brought back some good memories for him. I was glad to get a better memory with him than simply a loss against the Diamondbacks.

I'll go see it, possibly multipe times this season depending on who I'm with at the game. As rickh150 said, I wonder what they'll do in a few years once they feel everyone has seen it, and the number of people going through during the game really drops off. I can't imagine this will be an attraction that can last over the course of time, and now that Selig's tenure is done, I don't think anything can be added to it.

Really should have just went with the Brewers experience and obviously Selig was a big part of that early on and would be somebody that was featured. It then could be updated on a regular basis without impacting the whole attraction.

If you weren't around back then you can't appreciate what Selig accomplished in bringing baseball back to Milwaukee. Milwaukee and Wisconsin were blackballed by the powers in the game back then for having the audacity to fight to keep the Braves in court after repeated lies by Braves ownership about their intentions. Selig's fight to bring baseball back started when he held his nose and essentially ran the Braves baseball operations in Milwaukee in the lame duck season of 1965 for a small percentage of the gate, continued on through attempts to lure the White Sox and land a expansion team. As long as Walter O'Malley was around though Milwaukee had two chances, zero and none. It took a bankruptcy court in Seattle to get the Pilots. That Selig had not given up after losing out in the expansion a year earlier is a testament to the man.

...I get the impression that this is going to be a permanent fixture in the ballpark, a Way to honor the commish and man who brought baseball back to Milwaukee. The question... is will people go thru it next year and the next if they already saw it this year? When people inevitably stop seeing it (besides opponent fans) will they change it up still focusing on Selig???? Change it up using a tribute to Uecker???? 82 team ???? Aaron??? Perhaps all above capped by a Brewers Hall of Fame??? Or would this be a diss to Selig? How do you maneuver diplomatically and smartly with this exhibit into the next 5, 10 years?

Great concept.... Interesting situation...

I have no inside information, but if I were going to make a long-term guess, the Selig Experience space could very reasonably remain a "franchise history" exhibit, but not always with Selig as the primary focus. Kauffman Stadium has a Royals Hall of Fame, with similar history and memorabilia, which I really enjoyed when we were last there in 2012. I've only seen it the one time, so I don't know if they rotate exhibits or change out memorabilia. They had on-field artifacts as well as samples of old SGA items.

For the time being, with Bud so recently retired and still alive, I'd guess we can anticipate the Selig Experience being as-is for a while.

We were at two of the Arizona games this weekend, but I figured there would be a long wait for entry and decided to wait for a smaller weeknight crowd. Of course, had we known there would be several hours of near-inactivity on the field on Sunday, we could have probably gone through several times. ;)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 8 months later...
Any news on this attraction? Is it back for 2016? Any changes? I think I went through/ saw it 3 times last season.... Enjoyable. Goosebumps, at times.

I am pretty sure that it is going to be a permanent exhibit at Miller Park going forward. Still wish that they would expand it and make it a part of a larger concept Brewers Museum of sorts.

• 2 months later...

Archived